i30 Owners Club

What is this part and what does it do?

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Hello to you all :)

This is my first (I think) topic I have placed in this forum so yay! hehe.

I am just wondering what this engine part is and what does it do?  (Its the part with the hexagon shape on top)

I have  a 2011CRDi 1.6 i30 and love it! It as just nudging 60,000km on the clock.  The reason I am writing this is because I have noticed a very very slight leak of something from this object.  So small that it takes a whole day of driving just for it to drip once on the areas blow it.  I washed it off with water and most of the stuff was washed away so that made me think that I might not be oil? Diesel perhaps?

I am driving to Sydney tomorrow (2000km round trip)  So excited!! lets see what economy I get !! :)

Thoughts and advice? It is due for a service when I get back home.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That is your oil filter cover, it's plastic and needs to be correctly torqued. The hex is 18mm for memory, not a common size. Hang five I'll get the torque setting for you.

Torque is,

24.5 Nm or 2.5 KG / cm or 18.1 Lbs / Ft

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 23:59:42 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

what does this torque thing mean???

Thanks heaps for the help!! Very kind!! should I go and get my mechanic to just tighten it before I drive all that way???
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 23:40:52 by bryanj86 »
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ok, simply put in this case, torque is how much force to apply to tighten something.

The nut n the oil filter is 18mm which is very large, that doesn't mean you can apply a lot of pressure to it because it's big. This is a common mistake that many people make. It is a plastic component and if you break it, you won't be going anywhere.

All nut and bolts have tightening values so that mechanics put them back together correctly.

To correctly tighten a nut etc, a torque wrench is required. There are a few different types. The cheaper ones have a scale on the handle and you tighten up to where the needle meets your specific setting, or the more expensive type where you set the setting and a click is heard at the correct tightness, either way, with an ordinary socket and spanner, you are guessing which I would not recommend.

At this stage your leak is minimal, but if it concerns you, drop into a servo and ask a mechanic to set to the correct torque, as I have provided above. It very easy to get to and should take about 30 seconds, so they shouldn't charge.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Thanks very much!!! I will do that today!

I don't want any oil leaking out! hahha its a near new car... no leaks for another 40,000+ km please haha
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that little torque Phil  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just a word of caution.
The leak may not be because the nut isn't torqued to the correct loaqd.
Is it possible there's a seal in there which is faulty/ damaged?
I don't have a CRDi so I don't know the answer to this but in petrol engine instances where the oil filter is an element (Mazda 6 for example), there is a seal which should be replaced when the element is replaced.
If that is the case here, re-torqueing the nut won't stop the leak, so keep an eye on it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate.

The diesel oil filter comes with rubber rings, one small for the bottom and one larger one for the top.

As you can see from this link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-HYUNDAI-FD-i30-DIESEL-OIL-FILTER-CARTRIDGE-SUITS-FROM-14-02-2008-2A500-/300831583119?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460af5ab8f

Could it be the top one is nearing the end of its life?

When you have the 60,000 done the mechanic will (should) replace both the rubber rings and the problem will be over.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Again, thanks heaps for all the responses!!

I went to see my local trusted mechanic and he said he would have replaced it then and there but he didn't have the right O rings there. I asked him if it will be fine to drive the long distance to Sydney and he said it would be totally fine. He claimed I wont even notice the oil leak level on the dipstick. 

What do you think? I trust my mechanic but then I go to my dad  and he installs doubt in my mind by saying "I don't like seeing any leaks in any car engine before a big trip! " ARRG!! I think I should go with what the mechanic said (my dad is also a mechanic but he is too fussy with my cars haha) and just leave it be and get the car serviced in about 2 weeks time....?
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate what you are describing is next to nothing on the 5.3l of oil in the engine.

An oil leak is fairly obvious. I think if your trusted mechanic says it will be ok, then it will.

Whilst the trip to Sydney may seem like a long way, it isn't that far in the context of the engine's life (I do about a trip to Sydney in one weeks commute).

If your worried about it, get a new oil filter and take the oring to the mechanic and get him to change them over. Then do the rest when you get back. A week or two won't make a difference to the new orings life and you will get peace of mind (unless you pay Hyundai prices  :cool:)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
With thanks to Nev75, if you can afford to wait a couple of days

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111091071835 2 Genuine oil filters for $24.95 delivered.

He said the photo is wrong, but the item is right if you know what I mean.

Offline AidanZealley

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire
Ok this is slightly off the topic of this thread but my question concerns something else in the OPs photo.

Does anyone know what the connector just to the right of the oil filter is? I found mine unplugged the other day, looks like it had been for some time and I'm not sure whether I should plug it back in. I know it will be there for a reason but I tried clipping it on and off and can tell it definitely wouldn't have come off on it's own, so I'm thinking perhaps the dealer did it years ago or my usual mechanic more recently.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I think I found my answer here :):
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=22652.0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 18:13:51 by AidanZealley »
  • 2008 Hatchback 1.6 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal