i30 Owners Club

Daytime Running Lights

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
 :confused: I am a bit confused. I thought these DRL were for using during daytime when your normal lights are turned off.
However mine will only turn on if I turn on the parking lights or normal lights. This makes it serve no purpose.

On reading the instruction manual it states
'The DRL system will turn the dedicated lamp OFF when:
1. The parklight switch is ON
2. the engine is OFF

The above number 1. is incorrect, at least in my car, as they only turn ON when parklight is ON
Thanks everyone.

Has anyone else noticed the same with their cars?.
  • i30 Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Being Euro built mine is slightly different from the Korean models, DRL's are always on with or without park lights and they only go off once the headlights are turned on.

Does the Premium have Auto sensing lights? if so it could be the reason for the difference :undecided:

If Auto lights are installed do the DRL's function differently with Auto lights turned off?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thought the idea of Day Running Lights was that they illuminated whenever the engine is running and the handbrake is off.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
My 2012 Premy didn't have DRLs standard when we got it.
But got a pair from eBay Korea & had local auto sparky install.
He wired up so that when car is running they are on but turn off when headlights are on.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
:confused: I am a bit confused. I thought these DRL were for using during daytime when your normal lights are turned off.
However mine will only turn on if I turn on the parking lights or normal lights. This makes it serve no purpose.

On reading the instruction manual it states
'The DRL system will turn the dedicated lamp OFF when:
1. The parklight switch is ON
2. the engine is OFF

The above number 1. is incorrect, at least in my car, as they only turn ON when parklight is ON
Thanks everyone.

Has anyone else noticed the same with their cars?.
You are correct there SL,  get that looked at . Good spotting  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Being Euro built mine is slightly different from the Korean models, DRL's are always on with or without park lights and they only go off once the headlights are turned on.

Does the Premium have Auto sensing lights? if so it could be the reason for the difference :undecided:

If Auto lights are installed do the DRL's function differently with Auto lights turned off?
Hi Craig, mine does have the auto sensing lights which I usually use, but it also has the option of manually switching on the parking and normal lights. I tested with all the functions, there is a manual switch to turn on the DRL. It will not turn on if engine running and lights turned off. When any lights turned on, I can select the DRL switch and it turns on and displays on the instrument panel next to the headlight display.

It's due for a service in a couple of months and I'll ask them about it. Out of warranty of course but they have never worked so will see what they say.
Actually I might just drop by the dealer and see what they say, I shouldn't have to pay for a fix if they were never wired up properly when I bought it new.. Will keep you updated
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 16:11:32 by Sydney Lady »
  • i30 Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
there is a manual switch to turn on the DRL.

Any chance of a photo of this switch?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Hi Craig, mine does have the auto sensing lights which I usually use, but it also has the option of manually switching on the parking and normal lights. I tested with all the functions, there is a manual switch to turn on the DRL. It will not turn on if engine running and lights turned off. When any lights turned on, I can select the DRL switch and it turns on and displays on the instrument panel next to the headlight display.

It's due for a service in a couple of months and I'll ask them about it. Out of warranty of course but they have never worked so will see what they say.
Actually I might just drop by the dealer and see what they say, I shouldn't have to pay for a fix if they were never wired up properly when I bought it new.. Will keep you updated
Does the switch specifically say DRL?  the light on the instrument panel next to the headlight sounds like the fog light  :confused: would explain why it only comes on with the other lights.

As Shambles mentioned a photo of the switch and even the front fog/drl light could be helpful.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had to hunt high and low to find a front end picture of a 2013 Premium, as I thought the premium doesn't have DRL's.

The lower front lights are only fog lights without the DRL leds, if it had DRL's there would be a row of LEDs that run around the outside edge of the fog light like the pic below.

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

The lower front lights are only fog lights without the DRL leds, if it had DRL's there would be a row of LEDs that run around the outside edge of the fog light like the pic below.

Hi Craig, Many thanks, I think you are correct, the bulb inside the lower lights comes on, so must be the fog lights. There are no leds. The switch is on the headlight stalk. has a light symbol with some horizontal lines on the left. I didn't know what DRL lights looked like till you showed me in your picture.

The picture looks just like my car even the colour, but without the scratches.  :)

Thanks so much for ending my confusion, I this forum is great, it is so helpful for non technical people like me. I have now learned something new to add to my education.
 :ta:
  • i30 Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hello lovely lady,  Glad we could help again. Thanks Craig  nice  work!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you want DRLs, I've updated two FDs to switchback turn indicator / DRL by replacing the amber globes. Let me know if you're interested.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you want DRLs, I've updated two FDs to switchback turn indicator / DRL by replacing the amber globes. Let me know if you're interested.

Sydney Lady has a 2013 GD Gonz, won't that be a different setup?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If the blinker globe is still an incandescent BA15 type, same same.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Hi Gonz, many thanks but I won't worry about them. Have not really needed them, if I do any long distance drives in the country I just turn on my lights. Otherwise the automatic sensing lights will turn on in dim light conditions. I always have them activated.
Thanks.
  • i30 Premium

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The two i30s I owned followed by the 3 KIA cars had DRL's.  However - although I always had the headlights set to auto I found that they only switched on when the light was really dim. I found myself having to switch them on quite often.

Conversely - one of the i30s and my previous KIA were slow in turning the headlights off when you emerged from under a bridge or tunnel.

DRLs were made popular by Volvo to ensure that vehicles would be visible by others whenever the engine was running - irrespective of the road conditions. This they do very well. I'm surprised that most cars do not have DRL's at the rear - in filthy weather it is sometimes not easy to see vehicles in front of you.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal