Check Your Tyre Pressures

AlanHo · 21 · 7240

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Over the last few weeks it has gradually got colder and my car's economy has deteriorated significantly. Much more than last year..

I decided to check the tyre pressures today.  The TPMS system showed 3 wheels at 32 psi (2.21 bar) and one at 31 psi (2.14 bar). The car's manual specifies 36 psi (2.48 bar) but I usually blow my tyres to 38 psi (2.62 bar). It helps economy.

TPMS is clearly a safety device - but in my recent cars is only effective if just one or perhaps 2 tyres are well below the pressure in the other tyres. If all tyres lose pressure at a similar rate - even when they reach 4 psi (0.28 bar) lower than the recommended pressure - no alarm is shown.

Now that I have corrected my poor diligence and blown the tyres up to my normal setting - it will be interesting to see whether it has much effect on economy.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Even after more than a year, TPMS is still a bit of a novelty to me (first car with it) so I tend to check the readout every few days!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Even after more than a year, TPMS is still a bit of a novelty to me (first car with it) so I tend to check the readout every few days!  :victory:

Such excitement! But it will get better Dazz, one day there will be a tiny leak.  :happyjumper:

Forgive me Dazz   :tease:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:evil: :snigger: :kissmyass:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
At last summer I had a slow leaking nail puncture, and the first symptom was the TPMS light showing up so it did its job.

Otherwise I'm not very fond of it. Who in the world at Toyota decided to put valuable TPMS sensors in every tyre but didn't make the info screen to show pressure levels?  :fum: Not forgetting the another set of sensors for winter tyres, nor the fact the batteries in them won't last forever. At least my Auris is capable to recognize 8 sensor ID codes, so I don't have to go into the dealer twice in the year to reprogram those bloody sensors.

Finnish Transport Agency has actually obtained an exemption from EU directives concerning the TPMS, making it legal to disable it right after you drive your brand new car out from the dealer. However, whether the manufacturer and dealer are willing to provide instructions how to disable it is completely another story...  :confused:

• 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

At last summer I had a slow leaking nail puncture, and the first symptom was the TPMS light showing up so it did its job.

Otherwise I'm not very fond of it. Who in the world at Toyota decided to put valuable TPMS sensors in every tyre but didn't make the info screen to show pressure levels?  :fum: Not forgetting the another set of sensors for winter tyres, nor the fact the batteries in them won't last forever. At least my Auris is capable to recognize 8 sensor ID codes, so I don't have to go into the dealer twice in the year to reprogram those bloody sensors.

Finnish Transport Agency has actually obtained an exemption from EU directives concerning the TPMS, making it legal to disable it right after you drive your brand new car out from the dealer. However, whether the manufacturer and dealer are willing to provide instructions how to disable it is completely another story...  :confused:

That's all interesting stuff!  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting but academic. Soon there won't be any point in owning a car, or licence, since we'll be cyber-Ubered around as permanent passengers  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Interesting but academic. Soon there won't be any point in owning a car, or licence, since we'll be cyber-Ubered around as permanent passengers  :whistler:

But how will governments raise money from speeding , stamp duty,  rego , parking meters, etc ??
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

But how will governments raise money from speeding , stamp duty,  rego , parking meters, etc ??

They'll just up the taxes on beer/ciggies/tampons etc etc when they have a budget shortfall like they do now.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

To continue, I watch the excitement about autonomous and driver-less cars and think about how quickly humans return to their origins .Prophetic ??? : :link: Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 - YouTube
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

To continue, I watch the excitement about autonomous and driver-less cars and think about how quickly humans return to their origins .Prophetic ??? : :link: Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 - YouTube

Haven't heard that in years  :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

• Adelaide Hills and beyond
I was introduced to the wonders of TPMS technology the morning after I took delivery of my car. I can tell you it was quite a shock having a warning light come on on the dash so early on in the piece, but lo and behold, drivers side front was low (actually they all were) so I had to stop in at the servo on the way home after work to pump them back up.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2.0lt Manual Go Platinum Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was introduced to the wonders of TPMS technology the morning after I took delivery of my car. I can tell you it was quite a shock having a warning light come on on the dash so early on in the piece, but lo and behold, drivers side front was low (actually they all were) so I had to stop in at the servo on the way home after work to pump them back up.

Funnily enough mine were too high 40+ when I first collected my PD SR...

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Wow that's pretty high and a great way to wear the middle tread out :scared:

Makes me wonder just how accurate all these pressure gauges are around in various places and maybe I should be investing in a quality tyre gauge...:confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Makes me wonder just how accurate all these pressure gauges are around in various places and maybe I should be investing in a quality tyre gauge...:confused:
Yep. You should.  Everyone should.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yep. You should.  Everyone should.  :goodjob:
Have done so - compared it to tyre dealer gauge at last trye change, to one with own compressor and local servo. It read + or - 2 psi, not dear about $25.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Looks like I'm in the market for a tyre pressure gauge :D

Any suggestions on brands to buy and brands to avoid? As we all know, not all tools are equal, and sometimes even price isn't a good indicator of what is and isn't a good tool...

Edit: a quick search brought up a Choice article and a $13 Dr Air dial gauge topped their list...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:01:49 by Mikkantoo »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like I'm in the market for a tyre pressure gauge :D

Any suggestions on brands to buy and brands to avoid? As we all know, not all tools are equal, and sometimes even price isn't a good indicator of what is and isn't a good tool...

Edit: a quick search brought up a Choice article and a $13 Dr Air dial gauge topped their list...

I was going to suggest a google search for reviews but you beat me to it!  :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. A dial guage is a good choice.

Did you see what I did there?  :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Yep. A dial guage is a good choice.

Did you see what I did there?  :mrgreen:
The play of words or spelling gauge incorrectly? :snigger: :P

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

I'm now the proud owner of a brand spanking new tyre pressure gauge, the slightly more than $13 jobby that Choice made their top pick :happydance:
Today, and maybe because it was stinking hot (41°C) my TPMS' were reading 38-39 psi, so I'll be checking the tyres first thing in the morning.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal