i30 Owners Club

no aircon and dealer cannot fix (yet)

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Well after two visits back to dealers my aircon is unable to be regassed, the reason I have been told is that the new model I30 has a different gas in it ( 1234yf ) and they do not have the machine or the gas to do it untill they recieve the upgraded kit, I have had the car two months and it did not work when I got it, dealer seems to think I'm over reacting having a rant as they can not give me a time scale when this can be fixed, any one else had this issue and advice to resolve, thanks in advance
  • 2012 i30 active blue drive crdi silver

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Seems a bit unreasonable. They should pay for a gas service elsewhere for you if they can't do it. :fum:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi Fox.  1st i have heard of such an issue.  It sounds to me that dealer sold you a (new??) car, the aircon doesnt work & he cant fix it.  I know some regard aircon as  unecessary in UK (I dont) but it should still work.
Work out what you want out of this (aircon to work I guess?).  I suggest either take to another Hyundai dealer for fix and /or write to the dealer MD asking what they are going to do about it.  Hopefully the latter will result in some efforts to put a smile back on your face and keep your custom (such as next service free??).
Ed

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Give them the chance to sort it out. No point getting aggressive (I know that must be tempting). They'll need the kit & gas for the new range anyway and they'll probably get it sooner rather than later, though they really ought to know when, I guess.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's very poor form to be selling cars without possessing the equipment to maintain them, before release.

Find another dealer, you paid for air cond, so you're entitled to air cond from day 1.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I heard about this "1234yf" gas. There was quite some discussion about it in the german-speaking media.

It's said that this new gas is highly dangerous to both driver and environment.

Mercedes & Co proved in more than 50 tests, that in a car accident where the cryogen-pipe is ripped off tha whole engine bay bursts into flames and that the gas turns into fluoric acid that can be deadly to the driver and the rescue forces.

Besides this, a Swiss federal agency found out, that the new gas turns into some highly toxic and durable plant toxin when it gets in the air (and because the cryogen-cycle is never 100% closed, there will be an estimated loss of 20'000 tons per year in Europe alone).

In other words: Chosing this new gas is about the worst thing a car manufacturer can do - but guess what: They don't have a choice because the European Union dictates that since january 2013 no new car model can be sold with the old gas. It's said that the EU's dictate was promoted by the USA because it's some US-Chemical-Companys that have the monopoly of producing the new gas.

Some professor of chemistry even remarked, that the car dealers should build a high-security wing attached to their shops. Because R1234yf is the only inflammable gas on the market that is able to produce hydrogen-fluoride and as a result could be used for terrorist attacks...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 13:06:09 by Phil. »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The truth, apparently:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/02/explosive-refrigerant-threatens-to-blow-up-s-class-launch/

Daimler is dead set against using the new refrigerant HFO-1234yf, even if it is forced down it throat. The EU makes it a must in all news cars, but Daimler says it can fry and kill you

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/kill-or-be-killed-automakers-can-be-forced-to-use-deadly-refrigerant/

If you are an automaker, and you know that something can blow up and poison your customers, then you are in deep trouble if you put that stuff in your cars. In Germany, you are in in deep Scheiss if you don’t. Daimler may have to pay high fines if it continues using an old refrigerant in 2013, instead of the new HFO-1234yf

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Imagine an ignition source, inside the vehicle.  :fum: :fum: :fum:

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
By the way:

Here's some video made by the federal German environment agency that shows what happens when the gas gets in contact with a hot surface (and hot surfaces aren't exactly impossible inside an egine bay)

and here's some more:

And here's some (English) text from the German envioronment agency:

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/produkte-e/fckw/automobilklimaanlagen.htm

Obviously, the fire isn't even the wort part. The acid is more dangerous.

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Abit too technical for me  :confused: guess I Will have to wait, my concern is the car is 12 months old so were as the gas gone, hope its not a yearly regass
  • 2012 i30 active blue drive crdi silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Crazy decisions being made :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But, but, Dupont said it was only "slightly flammable"   :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Same as Dupont is slightly greedy and dishonest
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Same as Dupont is slightly greedy and dishonest

Absolutely.

Offline EssexTech

• Technical Advisor
Hyundai did remove the gas which was fitted to some i30s due to the lack of 1234. They retroftted it with R134a.  Main problem is that everbody has to spend another £4k for a new machine and then £750 for 5 kg bottle of 1234YF.  A  bottle of R134a is £100 and you get 13.6kg

So my Aircon service is £45 at the moment (because I check for leaks, moisture content and operating pressures) will now cost £120 with 1234yf

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :disapp: :fum:

Offline Alibally

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
I work at a Mercedes dealer and we have a new r1234yf machine but cannot get the gas for it. Merc were going to use the new gas on all new models from about a year ago but it didn't happen. The story I got was that one of the main factories was destroyed in the Japanese tsunami so everything was delayed until they caught up with production. I believe every every car sold in Europe is charged a surcharge by the eu in tax due if using r134 as it is a greenhouse gas. Politics eh.  The safety regulations for the new gas are also very strict due to the flammable nature of it. Legally everyone who works with R134 has to be certified as well, (in the UK).
It's a bit of a bummer as we have 3 machines at £3000 each at each of our branches doing nothing.   
  • Mercedes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Alibally (and thanks for that)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Alibally

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
As a post script to this some of the main European manufacturers including Merc and Volkswagen are developing a co2 system for their cars. Any body want to buy a r1234yf machine? ;)
  • Mercedes

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I seem to remember changing from one gas (R12??) in the 90's to R134? because it was better for the environment.
Now that's had the kiss of death, too??
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Alibally

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
R12 was great apart from the obvious environmental problems. The air con was far better then. I believe the guy that invented it also had the great idea of putting lead in petrol. He probably had more impact on he environment than everybody else put together.
  • Mercedes

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's a bit of a bummer as we have 3 machines at £3000 each at each of our branches doing nothing.

AFAIC The longer doing nothing, the better.  :fum:

Offline EssexTech

• Technical Advisor
R12 depleted the Ozone layer and R134a creates greenhouse gases. Due to the advances in air con technology, if R12 were used today in aircon systems it would have less eviromental impact than R134a IMHO. Remember it was used in aerosols too so that tripled usage .

Offline Alibally

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
Just checked my dads year old i30 and its got R134a. Result.
  • Mercedes

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just checked my dads year old i30 and its got R134a. Result.

Where do you look to confirm?

I mentioned to the dealer that mine wasn't as cool as the previous i30.

He said this was expected with the new refrigerant.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Alibally

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
There's a sticker on the front panel under the bonnet. It give the gas type and filling capacity.
  • Mercedes

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal