i30 Owners Club

Front Turn Indicator Lamp Base

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm warming to the idea of my next 3D print project.

As many are painfully aware, I replaced the front amber turn lamp with my combination LED turn / DRL.
The combo uses three wires out of its sealed base since two independent functions are performed, so the original socket shown here (and its electrical connectivity) is unsuitable even for modification, and the choice of remotely wired BAY15 base shown in the illustration as an adapter is a cut-off irrelevance.

nsns

I did manage to re-purpose the grey rubber grommet that wraps around the rim of the OEM piece because the diameter of the black base of the new lamp is less than that of the OEM piece, but the mounting and centring with enough pressure was achieved with a piece of coat hanger wire running through the unused vertical adjustment shaft in the cluster body, and featuring a loop halfway along its length to hold the base of the new lamp in place.

Now that I have a friend wanting the same arrangement, it's time for an upgrade! :happydance:

I'm firing up the CAD software to replicate the OEM piece, then hollow it out (in software of course) to accommodate the new base, with some back-end design to allow the new lamp to just press into place. If anyone else likes this idea, the solution is getting tidier every day.

Wish me luck! :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's a start:

- accurate outer diameter :goodjob:
- inner diameter to be adjusted for DRL base :Cuppa:
- lugs all accurate :victory:
- final mating of DRL base yet to be invented :workitout:

ns

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
LUCK !
You'll be able to bundle it all up as a DIY aftermarket change.
More $$$$    :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
LUCK !
:lol: The bundle does sound like a nice eBay proposition: source DRL combo, relays and electronic flasher, add 3D printed adapter and assembly instructions and Robbie's your daddy's sibling. :victory:

I'm not much of a businessman so I'll leave the monetising and club discounts to you. :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
... and Robbie's your daddy's sibling. :victory:

:rofl: :rofl:

Love that version of Bob's your uncle! I had an uncle Bob, whom I was quite fond of..  :rip:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
ns

A bit of an update showing the addition of the flange at the same distance from the lugs as the original, which will also incorporate the grommet for its intended purpose.

I've also added an inner lip to capture the DRL in a press fit but the diameter won't be 'locked in' :snigger:  until the DRL arrives for final measurement.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
LUCK !
:lol: The bundle does sound like a nice eBay proposition: source DRL combo, relays and electronic flasher, add 3D printed adapter and assembly instructions and Robbie's your daddy's sibling. :victory:

I'm not much of a businessman so I'll leave the monetising and club discounts to you. :happydance:
Thanks mate !,
I'll get right onto that once I finish the 91  G  and then the ugly sister 92  G .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'll get right onto that once I finish the 91  G  and then the ugly sister 92  G .
You're forgiven for making the bikes your priority. :lol: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal