i30 Owners Club

Front windscreen wiper de-icer

Hemmi · 18 · 8208

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I noticed yesterday when cleaning my car that the Front windscreen wiper de-icer has two cracks in it :(
And its not heating enough.

I took it to the dealer and they said that probably the timer for the circuit is faulty, so the de-icer just keeps heating and gets to hot.

They ordered a new windshield, I guess there is no other option, not to fond of getting a new windshield, hope they do it well.

They are also going to check the timer circuit and my Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that has never worked, aaaand they're going to check the indicator stalk, good for them I'm a calm and easy guy :) I still love my car :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Hemmi.. Good they are attending to most of your needs...

Pity you can't just crack on to Elisha Cuthbert now...  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Pity you can't just crack on to Elisha Cuthbert now...  :D

Why hasn't she reappeared in 24........,  Bring her back Jack
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

She was the only good thing about the first series  :-[ :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
are all of the gizmos hemmi mentioned standed on an sx oz model ?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The gizmos come on the top of the range Euro models, with slightly less on the middle ones and less again on the bottom one.

So....................I presume an SX is below the SR and therefore has some but not all gizmos :question:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
no an sx in australia is the base model.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Windshield was replaced today, everything looks just like from the factory, so I'm happy.

I took a look at the old one and checked the de-icer threads, the guy at the shop said they were unusually brown, probably because of being on for to long.

If I understand this correctly this de-icer should only be active for a few minutes, just to melt the snow/frost, mine was on until I manually turned it off.

Can anyone here who has one take time for how long the de-icer cuts off?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll try to remember to engage mine tomorrow morning. I must admit I've only used it 3 or 4 times and always turned it off myself after a coupler of minutes. However, I'll see if it turns off itself, and how long it takes :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I'll try to remember to engage mine tomorrow morning. I must admit I've only used it 3 or 4 times and always turned it off myself after a coupler of minutes. However, I'll see if it turns off itself, and how long it takes :)

thanks m8

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
The handbook says 20 mins. As you know I just brought a new i30 Premium made in the Czech Republic. Those cheeky guys from Hyundai Uk has taken the wiper de-ice out of the spec. which made me angry as the website still says this is a standard feature. Plus the fact when I order the car, the salesman told me this is one of the car's standard item. Anyway, its too late now but does any one knows whether I can fit this as an after market item at the Dealer?

silveri30uk

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The handbook says 20 mins.

Firstly, apologies to Hemmi as I didn't post the result of my test which I did 2 weeks ago  :-[

And as for the 20 mins cutout time, I switched mine on when I set off for work and the button was still lit 55 minutes later when I arrived. Not sure whether it had been turned off thermally and not extinguished the light, but the light was on.

Silveri30UK I'm surprised you didn't kick up a stink about this, if it was part of the spec when you ordered your i30, but later "disappeared"  :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Silveri30UK I'm surprised you didn't kick up a stink about this, if it was part of the spec when you ordered your i30, but later "disappeared"  :eek:

Do as shambles suggests. It probably won't make any difference but insist on a reduction in price or say a couple of free services !

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know it was not there until I went home and checked the car all over! Any way, I have just written to Tony Whitehorn. MD, Hyundai UK. I know he can't do much but lets see what happens.

silveri30uk

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
.. I have just written to Tony Whitehorn. MD, Hyundai UK. I know he can't do much but lets see what happens.

Oh you are so wrong there! He cascaded an avalanche of directives right down through his Customer Services director down to my dealership's HQ, who in turn rang me up out of the blue!

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

The handbook says 20 mins.

Firstly, apologies to Hemmi as I didn't post the result of my test which I did 2 weeks ago  :-[

And as for the 20 mins cutout time, I switched mine on when I set off for work and the button was still lit 55 minutes later when I arrived. Not sure whether it had been turned off thermally and not extinguished the light, but the light was on.

wow 55 min :eek: have you checked if you also have the cracks in your de-icer?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

wow 55 min :eek: have you checked if you also have the cracks in your de-icer?

I've washed Fergie twice since the experiment and haven't seen anything there, but then again I wasn't actually looking too hard.

I'll let you know if I see anything tomorrow :)

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Got reply from Hyundai Uk Customer Service. Told me that wiper de-icer was taken out as it was thought it doesn't benefit UK owners as we have mild winters! They have now updated information on the website. Also said a memo was sent to all Dealers regarding the deletion. Anyway, lots of bulls..t and I want a i30 with wiper de-icer!

silveri30uk

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal