i30 Owners Club

back here after 3 years

Offline mr nyjet

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Hilton, NY
i had previously owned the 2009 elantra touring, but switched to the 2011 elantra limited. that car had the el-cheap-o beam rear axle with no rear anti-sway bar, the sedan being sold here in the usa. it had a bunny-hop problem, which eventually resulted in it being totalled when it suddenly went sideways on the expressway at 65 mph and ended up hitting the center median guard rail head-on.

so i switched to the accent/avante. i only last week went back to the elantra gt, which is the i30 hatch back sold with the 2.0L GDI usa-spec engine.  As a member of hyundai's own think tank, i had constantly informed them /criticized the rear suspension and engine size.  A dealer tech showed me how the hatch and coupe rear suspension differed from the sedan.  Further, he advised against the sport suspension and 17" tires.  so, between the think tank pricing and the retail rebate, i went ahead and bought the car.  so far, much better ride than the 2011 elantra limited, and no bunny-hop over bumps and on curves, with the GDI engine much better power over the 1.8L nu engine.  both had the 6 speed auto, so the mileage is about the same.  :victory:
  • 2014 Elantra GT Hatch, 2.0L GDI, Auto

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline mr nyjet

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Hilton, NY
thanks.  i explained the reason for the absence.  :mrgreen:

Offline mr nyjet

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Hilton, NY
 :D for those i may have confused, the i30/elantra  and kia forte sedans are built here in the usa, but are not the same as those models sold in europe ( which still have i.r.s.).  the usa does not tax engine size, so our motors tend to be larger due to much larger area and traffic volumes.  we do have speed limits and cars must meet an mpg standard across the entire line/ average.

the coupe and hatch are built in south korea and shipped over here, but i have watched reviews on youtube about the european versions and they are not the same as the usa versions of the coupe and hatch in both engines and suspensions. the styling of a few models also differs. so far, neither the i10 or the ix20/25 lines are sold here.  and the i20 sedan /hatch styling is also different.  personally, i prefer the european editions over the korean-engineered versions being built and/or sold here.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome back.

Sorry to hear about your prang.

Hope no one was hurt and all sorted via insurance.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome back and thanks for the info. :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
:welcomeback: mr nyjet