i30 Owners Club

Rattle Register - Post your issues and fixes here@Ffoxys fixes - BINGO!

Keith · 47 · 13195

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Has anyone created a Register for Rattles & any suggested fixes?

It seems these are non-model specific & from extensive reading it's probably the single most mentioned thing annoying owners. I'm sure it would also help Hyundai improve the standard of quality on cars leaving both Czech & Korean factories further.

Rattles & odd noises and the absence of such are a defining feature of quality and average cars.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Not on this forum they haven't.

Yet :D

What would you suggest as an index to the register? Sounds like a fine idea though I suspect it will be very subjective; we've had members reporting "jingle noises" at the passenger compartment whilst driving, just for their passenger to report the same sound from a different area of the cabin, just to find out it was loose sunnies in the overhead dropdown :rolleyes: :lol:

Give it a go - start a thread off
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Theres loads to go on already on the i30 Forum, I spent a good hour readin & digesting them lol! No personal experiences yet but I'd suggest :-

Interior rattles / buzzes / squeaks
Front end knocks / clonks
Rear end creaks / groans

In all these the first generic advice must be to remove ANY potential sources like loose change, tools, shopping & spare wheels... employ a friend / colleague / member of the family to corroborate, then Post a Thread inthe appropriate section. Then compile a "Rattles FAQ" section where owners can browse & Post questions,queries & solutions into Sticky based sub-sections?

I'm sure theres plenty Mods on here more than capable  :)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK Ffoxy, I have moved this into problems and issues for you and your generic advice forms the first parts of the post, now it is up to the members who have had rattles/squeaks/clonks and groans to post their problem and the solution if one found. :D

I have to say though that despite you thinking this is a major "fault" with the i30 that the fact folks can only find a glovebox rattle as a downside indicates in general that the i30 excels in the other areas leaving the human mind (which has to moan about something) feeling a bit left out so we concentrate on finding that something :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

OK Ffoxy, I have moved this into problems and issues for you and your generic advice forms the first parts of the post, now it is up to the members who have had rattles/squeaks/clonks and groans to post their problem and the solution if one found. :D

I have to say though that despite you thinking this is a major "fault" with the i30 that the fact folks can only find a glovebox rattle as a downside indicates in general that the i30 excels in the other areas leaving the human mind (which has to moan about something) feeling a bit left out so we concentrate on finding that something :razz:

Cheers bumkin, I wouldnt dare say its a "fault" as such, just seems to be a big hitter in terms of complaints. Thinking here how a potential i30 buyer might interpret things like rattles etc... smacks of poor build quality when the opposite seems to be the case if all Threads / Posts are read first. I can see a lot being down to nothing, I know Fiats suffer with worn drop-links on the front end causing many similar such complaints about rattles going at low speed over uneven surfaces for example... but I dont have my i30 yet so I have no idea if the front suspension is the same set-up...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Not on this forum they haven't.

Yet :D

What would you suggest as an index to the register? Sounds like a fine idea though I suspect it will be very subjective; we've had members reporting "jingle noises" at the passenger compartment whilst driving, just for their passenger to report the same sound from a different area of the cabin, just to find out it was loose sunnies in the overhead dropdown :rolleyes: :lol:

Give it a go - start a thread off
and even tictacs in the console rattling around.  :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
the human mind (which has to moan about something) feeling a bit left out so we concentrate on finding that something :razz:
Well put.
Electrical Inspectors would arrive to "check" the Control Panels we had manufactured, and to justify their visit,
would "nit pick", and waste time looking for any problem, ("opinion engineering"), so we created an "obvious" omission, ie. no main earth cable, they would seize on this, and checked no further :wink: We always commisioned on site anyway :)

Now keeping to the subject, my i30 has always had a "buzz" at about 30mph, from the empty glovebox area......, seems most of them have.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Now keeping to the subject, my i30 has always had a "buzz" at about 30mph, from the empty glovebox area......, seems most of them have.

That was the only one I had.. Never did find the source (Mine did it at about 100kph  :mad:)

Someone did post a fix (Some lugs in the firewall under the dash I think)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah, I have the glovebox buzz also, there are three cures in my car

1.  Empty all the crap out of it.
2.  Open the glovebox and close it again.
3.  Turn up the radio/wife/child.

:razz: :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'm lovin this Forum already... :mrgreen:

Members clearly feel they have good cars despite (or in spite of?) the few technical / mechanical issues... The humour is up & morale is high... 3 sleeps left lol!

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

A single thread like this will quickly become disjointed. What you need is a growing series of topics, in this section, with headings along the idea you first mentioned...

Interior rattles / buzzes / squeaks
Front end knocks / clonks
Rear end creaks / groans

Then when a new source of irritation comes along, a new topic can be started with members own experiences of how they detected it, what any passengers they carried thought of it, and the resolution if one was found :D

Now, snap to it!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Then when a new source of irritation comes along, a new topic can be started with members own experiences of how they detected it, what any passengers they carried thought of it, and the resolution if one was found :D

Isn't that what happens now anyway
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Isn't that what happens now anyway

Yes, but with each occurrence under its single parent topic on a per "rattle type" (aka, annoyance) they would all be neatly catalogued :)

So we could start with the three topics as mentioned, then when a new one is found it would have its own topic, to which folk add their experiences (and fixes)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

C'mon chaps sort it lol! I'm sure Forum members would love it, especially if the noise criteria was Searchable...

Who's the Top Mod then... show us the skills!  :idea:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Who's the Top Mod then... show us the skills!  :idea:

Nowt to do with modding mate. This is a green forum and your leaves count. If you want this topic to develop, start it off or forever hold your pieces :P

You've got 48 hours to comply...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Oritey... So how do I create a section called Rattle Register within Tips & Ideas for starters... or cant I..? Once that is done how do I move all Threads & Posts about "noises" into that section? Then we can utilise all the green leaves on this particular tree to arrange said section into one that makes easy reference for anyone looking for help or moral support lol!  :mrgreen:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i think ffoxy is after an entire subforum? maybe? which the admin has to set up.

you have a couple issues here
putting just threads within 'NON MODEL Specific' will get lost. new people will just start their own new thread than add to a existing thread, it all gets lost in amongst the other topics.

to have just one stickied topic ends up going all over the place conversation wise, and you lose track of who's doing what unless that topic is purely where the first post gets updated each time a new rattle gets found/fixed. tiresome for whoever is supposed to be looking after it. good intentions etc...

to have a subforum e.g PROBLEMS & ISSUES / RATTLE REGISTER is better in the regards that every thread will relate clearly to it, but i think would not get enough traffic to warrant it.

anyway my pesky 2 cents  8)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Thanks for that Snowcherry, I dont want to screw things up, but I'd love to help others. Been very active on a Forum for my car I am moving out of for the i30, & I fully appreciate what you say about digressing from the main issue, always happens when people are passionate about something, as we are about the cars we drive lol! Just seems sensible that anyone Searching for rattle, noises etc should go to a single point of reference & that we could have a Link that anyone who fails to Search before Posting can be referred to.

As you say, there may not be that much activity to warrant special treatment for rattlers lol... but honestly, as an outsider looking in, solutions to rattles Posted in here could really help Hyundai better the already good breed...

Loved the bit from Germany's own Auto-Bild about the i30 being the best & most reliable car in its class especially! One in the eye for BMW & V.A.G, not to mention all the overhyped other Premium graded manufacturers!

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
to have a subforum e.g PROBLEMS & ISSUES / RATTLE REGISTER is better in the regards that every thread will relate clearly to it, but i think would not get enough traffic to warrant it.

I believe you're right, at least for the first part :D
Further i think that, as seen for myself in this forum, no rattle has the exactly same source /cause (ok, maybe there are a couple of exceptions). Of course i reffer to "normal" rattles caused by unshapely /disjoint /loosen plastics etc.
Unless we want to include here, rattles caused by mechanical problems... But then, this is almost what we already do :rolleyes:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh.. and we need a section to talk about the rattle section we are going to have... :rolleyes:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Oh.. and we need a section to talk about the rattle section we are going to have... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Right... Hello again boys and girls...

I think I have worn drop-links...

I get a dull rattle from the front suspension on uneven roads, sounds exactly like my Fiat did when the Drop-links went.

4 years old, 33,000 miles... anyone else had it?

I did a Search for Drop links and only came up with the generic rattle Posts / Thread.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sure it is not the steering collar rattle Keith?.. Compare notes with Steve (Shambles) by PM maybe, as I think he had his replaced (there was a TSB on here at one stage)  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can you make a recording of the sound from different areas in your cab?

I can float the TSB that Dazz mentioned over to you if you want - it's got the vin range documented within which affected models may lie.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

TBH I think I have the steering collar rattle but only when I turn hard left at certain speeds on certain surfaces, but it hasnt got worse since I noticed it about 2 or 3 days after I bought it.
No this dull rattle is new... and as I say very like the rattle I had in my Fiat when the Drop links went. Its hard to hera yet... so recording would be real tough... but really does sound like its coming from her sussies...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yup...   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Drop links.
Changed both last night after dinner and my rattles have gone!  :mrgreen:
38,000 miles and 4 years old, the originals were as slack as Alices draws...  :scared:
Took some persuading to get off mind you with the rust on the threads but well worth the 2 hours work.
Oh and I got the pair of new ones for £13.50 incl postage off E-Bay after my local Motor Factors jointly colluded to try to get £45 out of me...
Yes £22.50 each they wanted...  :faint:
If they last 12 months that will be a bargain, the car drives perfectly again... Well Happy!  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Changed both last night after dinner and my rattles have gone!  :mrgreen:
Take any "how to" pics, or any pics of the worn ones? Shame on you :P

Great news that it's sorted. Quite cheaply too by the sound of it. I'm guessing you bought them off eBay seller "eemotorspares".

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal