i30 Owners Club

Trip computer calibration

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I had a client who ended up returning his Honda Accord Euro because it was 9% out and the dealership fobbed him off with the "10% on the safe side is legally ok".

Try and get away with that in VIC!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Today the Police had set up a speed display to deter fast driving.

As I approached, only car on the road, I did a constant 30 mph for some 200 yards.
The display flashed up 27 mph.
So I'm 3 mph (10%) out?

I'd rather have it like this so when on motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway, if my speedo shows 80 mph my true speed probably 72 mph so will not attract the attention of our boys in blue. (Anyone remember the Oz cop show - Bluey??)

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Today the Police had set up a speed display to deter fast driving.

As I approached, only car on the road, I did a constant 30 mph for some 200 yards.
The display flashed up 27 mph.
So I'm 3 mph (10%) out?

I'd rather have it like this so when on motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway, if my speedo shows 80 mph my true speed probably 72 mph so will not attract the attention of our boys in blue. (Anyone remember the Oz cop show - Bluey??)
I'd rather know that I'm doing 70mph in the 70 zone, rather than going 80 and not knowing if I'm going 70 or 75.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I just filled my tank for the second time since purchase and DTE still only shows 600km.  When can I expect this to improve?  I drive approx 130km daily to and from work.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

ouri30
I just filled my tank for the second time since purchase and DTE still only shows 600km.  When can I expect this to improve?  I drive approx 130km daily to and from work.

From my experience the trip computer builds up data over time and the DTE after filling up increases as this data is accumulated.  I disconnected the battery and wiped this data once and it reset the DTE back to the low 600s.  Following this and many more refills, it got to as high as 907km after filling up and that seemed to be the limit.  Then I pulled the fuse (by mistake) and reset it again - back to square one.

Regardless, the DTE seems to be more accurate when it counts (at around 150km to empty).

As I get 1200km or more per tank these days, it doesn't really matter what the DTE is after filling up as it can't show over 999km anyway.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Mine NEVER shows over 600km, even after I have just done a 1,400km trip on one tank.

I just ignore it now, go on how many KM/s I have done and what lt/100km the computer shows.

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
Likewise mine gradually increased until it got to 907.  I reset consumption and trip meter at each fill.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I wonder if we can petition Hyundai for a firmware upgrade that enables more accuracy?

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

I think I have managed to answer my own question. As I posted elsewhere I had occasion to drive recently to Port Maquarie from Brisbane with an old friend and his wife with them in their new i30 (ours 6200klms theirs 1200klms). They were dying to take it for a descent drive. Both cars covered the same distance and we could compare for interest sake in real time via a couple of UHF handhelds. The consumption displayed on the trip computer in both cars did vary slightly depending on driving styles and whether it was your turn to slipstream or not, but at the end of the trip (1752 klms) both i30's were showing 4.8 lph. This was after a drive home via the Pacific Highway mainly in fifth gear and on CC. So from this we could assume, I guess, that the trip computer is close to correct  from day one.

Regards

Rustbucket

Offline wardfam

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston

• Frankston , Australia, Oct 09 SLX CRDi manual
I just checked my speedo calibration with a friends TomTom GPS ,i found my speedo to be very close  <1kmh of the GPS displayed speed , from 40-100kmh , happy about that :), Cheers Craig

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal