i30 Owners Club

Setting Cruise Control in Neutral should not be possible

Roman · 36 · 12806

Offline Roman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2011 i30 SLX 2L Man

@Roman: (I can probably say that) all the cars that use the fuel injection, stop delivering fuel when you lift your foot up from the accelerator pedal (unless the engine is in really low-rev). This also holds for our Hyundais - drive with someone that has a trip computer with the instantaneous fuel consumption and you'll see it directly.

Thanks Neoto, you've answered exactly what I was going to ask next. I have a mate driving brand new Camry (auto) and even he shifts it to neutral for the same reasons that I've explained earlier on... We're playing tennis tomorrow, so will definitely discuss this. He's got the instantaneous fuel consumption computer... will observe.

I think it's just the bad old habit from the olden communist days, driving Lada 1800 in the former Czechoslovakia!!  :lol:

Gee, I'm so glad I've joined this Forum. So much useful info  :winker:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bloody net nanny won't let me post what I wrote about this.
 In summary. Do not coast in neutral.
 No problem with left foot braking in an auto.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
surferdude

Perhaps if you used moderate language she, (nanny,) would let you convey your message.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe you can't set the cc under 40kph, too bad the logic for this must come from the speed of the car (somewhere), rather than the calculated engine revs for 40kph. This problem wouldn't exist if that were the case.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, finally got back to this thread and found just about everything I was gonna say to support left foot braking has already been said..... :D

I might just add though that if you end up braking and accelerating simultaneously because you've forgotten which foot does what, then perhaps it's time to hand in your driving licence...  :winker:

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Well just to bring the post back on track- of course the cruise will activate in nuetral- i dont belive there is any switches which indicate any gear other than reverse, so other than speed input the ecu wont know the car is in gear or nuetral unlike an auto.  Otherwise it wiould be possible to hook up a remote start on a manual car- which no installed will do cause you cant determine nuetral electrically in manual gearbox.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal