i30 Owners Club

Decision on 2012 model i30 Purchase

AlanHo · 86 · 28748

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Apparently you can trade them in.
If, for example, you have a 54 year old wife, you're able to trade them in for two 27 year olds I believe. :whistler: A 50 year old for two 25's etc.
That's what I tell mine anyway but she reckons I wouldn't know what to do with them  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The only way I know is for each of you to PM your vote to a nominated worthy and trusted member of the forum to keep score.

I'll volunteer... :happydance: (to choose a worthy and trusted Member) :goodjob:

I think you'd do nicely Dazz :)

For all those who want to vote.. PM petrol or diesel to me (Dave has already)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I didn't do that to start off the vote.
It was just a pm  :-[
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I didn't do that to start off the vote.
It was just a pm  :-[

Too late .. you can't change your vote now  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Alan, can't you just get another wife?  :p

Wouldn't that take months to pick the correct new model? I'm not sure I'd want to see all the detailed selection tests and comparison/running cost charts.  :D

I'd probably recommend the petrol if they hadn't detuned it and made it slower. I wouldn't buy one of them now. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Wouldn't that take months to pick the correct new model? I'm not sure I'd want to see all the detailed selection tests and comparison/running cost charts.  :D

I'd probably recommend the petrol if they hadn't detuned it and made it slower. I wouldn't buy one of them now.

The best way is to put up some photos and we'll have a poll & select for you.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I have had two already and have only been married to my present wife for a couple of wonderful years. So your suggestion is not an option.... :happydance:

I have virtually decided which car to order but will be borrowing an i30 at 3:30 this afternoon for another 2 hour test run to satisfy myself I have made the right decision. This time I will be without anyone from the dealership - just my wife and I - so I will have more freedom about the route and driving style.. :goodjob:

I had a look at the steel grey car this morning - I didn't like it one bit. So my choice is silver.

Hyundai UK - through the dealer network - have sold a large number of cars this week-end to private buyers on top of some big trade sales. Hence it looks as though my car will be 1st May at the earliest - and every hour I delay pushes the date back further. My dealership told me that they have never before experienced so many sales in so few days and the biggest seller by far is the 1.6 CRDi Active model (roughly 50/50 split between the 110 PS and 128PS engine) followed by the 1.4 petrol Classic (the cheapest model).  I am after a Style model and there are less of these in the Country.

So you need to get your PM's to Dazz pronto - time is running out for all of us.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A cruel, but probably correct, question to pose :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Seems the only way to decide is to toss a coin.

Heads = Diesel

Tails = Petrol
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Seems the only way to decide is to toss a coin.

Heads = Diesel

Tails = Petrol

I suspect it will be

heads) diesel
tails) not petrol

and Alan will promise to always fill the car with stinky diesel himself.  :D

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

OK – the second road test of the i30 1.4 petrol did confirm that I had made the right decision. We drove for an hour covering 35 miles. Upon returning home I have just plotted the route on my PC using Garmin Mapsource maps and it comprised 8 miles of town roads with a few traffic lights (which always seem to be red for me), 9 miles of country roads and lanes where 40 mph was good going, 7 miles on a reasonable A road where I could drive at 50 mph and  11 miles on a motorway where I drove at 65 mph in light traffic. The trip recorder showed a fuel economy of 39.3 mpg (7.2 L/100km) at the end of the trip.
It is a great car and very spirited, is refined and gets good economy for a 1.4 engine in a relatively big body. It has all the bells and whistles of the more expensive diesel and has the same road presence. Insurance and serving costs will be less, which will compensate for the higher fuel and road tax costs. We rarely have 4 up in the car with luggage so a few extra gear changes to get up hills should not be a problem. I have to accept that it does not have the grunt of my current car – especially at speeds above 50 mph. My wife will feel happier knowing that I will not be tempted into any hairy overtaking manoeuvres or racing the young-uns away from the lights.

My head got it right for a change – as did my wife.

After returning the petrol car I took a 128 PS diesel out for a spin around the same route with my wife who was now a slightly bored passenger.  I zeroed the trip fuel economy recorder before setting out. It took me a few minutes to find out how to change the trip setting to manual re - set – the car had been delivered with auto fuel re-set by default – the trip is zeroed when you add more than 6 litres of fuel to the tank). We drove the same route as the petrol car and the trip recorder showed a fuel economy of 62.3 mpg (4.53 L/100km) at the end of the trip.
The diesel had a lot going for it and the 128 PS engine has more grunt than my present car – but with better economy. However - I still have concerns about the possible costs of the variable geometry turbo, the dual mass flywheel and the DPF if they were to fail outside warranty – but who is to say whether my personal warranty is longer than the car’s – you never know at my age.  It is certainly more fun than the petrol and has lower month by month running costs – but it costs a lot more up front. A big factor when you are a pensioner on a fixed income and dwindling savings.

Much to the chagrin of my wife I then drove the same route, at the same speeds, in my present i30 CRDi and it recorded fuel economy of 48.4 mpg (5.84 L/100km) for the trip. My wife is now cooking a late dinner whilst I type this report.  One has to get one’s priorities in order.

So there you have it – I have driven both the petrol and diesel versions of the new car plus my existing car over the same route, at the same speeds, in the same weather conditions, on a Sunday when traffic is light and it confirmed my decision.

I have decided that you only live once. I followed my heart and look forward to doing a handbrake turn – even a doughnut – into the grave.

So I have ordered the diesel………….

My I30 1.6 CRDi blue drive Style in Sleek Silver will be passing down the Nosovice production line between the 5th and 8th of April and will arrive in the Felixstowe UK docks on the 13th April.  I will receive it shortly after – but perhaps not until May 1st because we are on holiday in Cyprus at the end of April.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Love the photo Alan (and delighted with your decision to go with a 128PS Diesel)  :happydance:

I can imagine the "chagrin" (great word) of the Wife (Trish would be the same.. :rofl:)

I reckon you have earned the title of the # 1 ticket holder (or # 1 elder) of the i30owners Club for the thorough and entertaining way you have gone about this exercise of choosing a new i30

:judges: :brilliant:

EDIT: I got 5 votes (including yours  :lol:) 4 for the diesel and only 1 for the petrol...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Neat pic and a great choice of car, though personally I would have preferred a little more research :whistler: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Good choice.....      would be my choise too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

So I have ordered the diesel………….

Were they doing good deals on the price?

i.e very good P/X compared to say what Parkers detail, dosh off list price?

Did you ask for and get any extras free of charge?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Congratulations Alan - great choice at the end of the day.  :goodjob:
I thought you liked the diesel more but thought you would go the petrol in the end.
So I've started off the week being wrong again  :lol:
Enjoy your new i30.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Congrats Alan, I almost got it right, I thought you might be put off by the dual mass flywheel and opt for auto. Any how, you can sleep easy now and look forward to that increased fuel economy in the future. Like me, you should look after the refuelling of the car as a favour to the wife, (and to make sure it's brimmed properly).  :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good choice, Alan.....

I'm glad your heart won...... :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Were they doing good deals on the price?
i.e very good P/X compared to say what Parkers detail, dosh off list price?
Did you ask for and get any extras free of charge?

All I can say is that when you are in the market for a new Hyundai - or even a used one - you really should get in touch with my Hyundai dealership.

I had already done my homework about the trade-in value for my car and the sort of discount you can expect on a new model in the current climate. The dealership keep an eye on this forum and were aware I knew a lot about the new model. I traded in my current car and was offered a deal that I was happy with without any need for haggling. I am old and wise enough to know that there is no such thing as a free lunch and if a deal looks too good to be true - it normally is. In my experience a dealer who butters you up with so-called free or low cost extras has already covered the cost of these in his price or reduced P/X or discount.

The dealer was happy with the deal - so was I, safe in the knowledge I will remain a valued customer and will be well looked after if I should need their help in the future.

Motorfair
220 The Radleys,
Mackadown Lane
Garretts Green
BIRMINGHAM
West Midlands
B33 0QX

0121 788 2000

I have now bought 2 Hyundai cars from them, my wife has had 3 cars, relations and friends we have recommended have bought a total of 7 cars from them and two short term members of the forum last year got in touch with me and subsequently bought a new Hyundai car from them after reading my thread on the cruise control saga. One of them lived 200 miles away and was getting no cooperation from either of his local Hyundai dealers about having cruise fitted to a new i30 Premium he wanted to order. Motorfair sorted him out and he was delighted.

They are not a big flashy car palace like some of the premium brands - but a medium sized business with great customer service and a policy of putting customers first. You have nothing to lose - and possibly something to gain - by giving them a call from wherever you live. I realise that this sounds like a paid advert for them and you would be forgiven for thinking that I have an agenda or interest in the business. In a way I do - but simply as a very happy customer and happy to spread the word.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 00:34:01 by AlanHo »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Fair call Alan, I think above average service should be acknowledged, I wonder if they could arrange something for me  :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Enjoyed your Dealer Testimonial Alan (almost bought a lump to the throat) :goodjob:

Unfortunately, with our local Hyundai dealer you work out a fair trade in price then take about A$2000 off it (e.g. Add A$2000 to the changeover) that is partly why we ended up with a Toyota last time.. (only one Dealer in Tas with 4 or 5 outlets..) :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good to see good, fair service recognised & credit where credit's due.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Odd that my local dealer hasn't contacted me yet. They seemed keen to get me there for a buffet thing where they were showing off the Nissan Juke (they do Nissan as well as Hyundai) a few months ago.

Maybe they've got too many orders and don't need any more purchasers ??

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Odd that my local dealer hasn't contacted me yet. They seemed keen to get me there for a buffet thing where they were showing off the Nissan Juke (they do Nissan as well as Hyundai) a few months ago.

Just gatecrash whenever it's on.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Just gatecrash whenever it's on.

Well I'd like quieter if Alan's assistant's figures are correct but the new 1.4 petrol is de-tuned to be 1.6 seconds slower 0-62 than mine for some odd reason. And I don't want an automatic and a diesel is impracticable for my driving.

Maybe they don't want me anymore. Boo-hoo.  :D

Maybe I'll find a few quid for the turbo 1.6 later this year?? Though that is supposed to be two doors - bugger!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
congratulations on your new baby Alan,cant wait for some pics.  :mrgreen:  I'll have to just keep looking at my 2012 i30 brochure i bought from the UK on eBay.  :P :P
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

congratulations on your new baby Alan,cant wait for some pics.  :mrgreen:  I'll have to just keep looking at my 2012 i30 brochure i bought from the UK on eBay.  :P :P

The one area where Hyundai lack the marketing clout of VW and Ford is the brochure. The hyundai 20 page 24 x 17 cm brochure is nicely presented and sufficiently informative - but the brochures for the Golf and Focus are 72 pages and 54 pages of full A4 size on high quality gloss paper stuffed full of glitz and glamour photos and loads of B.S descriptions in the most flowery terms. The VW brochure is especially detailed - with illustrations of every available option (and there are lots of them) and very detailed drawing of the cars showing all the salient internal and external dimensions. I don't think that more is necessarily better - but some people will be so impressed by glitzy brochures that they become convinced the car has superior qualities when in fact it does not.  You can easily download the full hyundai brochure from the UK site in pdf format if you want an informative 20 page read.

I will of course put some pics on the forum when I get the car - the next month or two are going to pass all too slowly

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You don't really want to go on  holiday to Cyprus do you  :question:

Wouldn't you rather stay home just in case..........  :mrgreen:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

You don't really want to go on  holiday to Cyprus do you  :question:

Wouldn't you rather stay home just in case..........  :mrgreen:

If I could cancel my holiday without penalty - believe me - I would.  But I suppose I would miss my wife's company for the week and her assistance in giving it its first clean and wax....... :evil:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal