2012 GD i30 diesel premium report

i30forme · 50 · 13475

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium
Thanks again Dazzler & db08!
it certainly highlights the lines & curves of this stunning body style. See in the photo the blue i30? That's also a Premium. The photo doesn't do the car justice in White. It really shows the highlight features. They seemed to get lost in blue. Black...I have yet to see one in the flesh.
Cheers,
Steve
  • 2012 GD i30 Diesel Premium - Creamy.....White!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Very  :cool!:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks again Dazzler & db08!
it certainly highlights the lines & curves of this stunning body style. See in the photo the blue i30? That's also a Premium. The photo doesn't do the car justice in White. It really shows the highlight features. They seemed to get lost in blue. Black...I have yet to see one in the flesh.
Cheers,
Steve

I think it is the dark glass roof which really sets the white off (the i45 premium and i40 Tourer premium look great in white too ..)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

OK folks,
well, I've had the new car for just under a week & I keep thinking that it is simply amazing!
Just a couple of issues to find out about which some may or may not have or experienced with the new GD model.
1. The HID headlamps (since it's a Premium) are set to a low, a very low spread of beam whilst driving at night on an unlighted roadway. I'm forever having to throw on the high beam to show me what's further ahead. (the 1,000,000 potholes along our crappy roads)
2. The rear door locks stay locked when the vehicle is stopped, but the engine is still running. I thought is was the child lock feature, but it is not. The internal thumb lock rocker above the handle needs to be rotated to the unlock position in order for the rear occupant to exit. I need this to be checked/confirmed.
3. The Sat Nav only functions when the radio/USB device is turned on, except you can mute the volume whist listening to Karen or Jennifer guiding you along a route....mmmm....Jennifer...

Otherwise, this is a great perky car. Get's lots of looks, is not a common vehicle and lot's of FD i30 owners want a look to see if they want to upgrade too! Do it!

Fuel economy is not super at the moment. I think it needs to loosen up and will get better. So far around town the average reading is 7.3l/100. Next time I fill up, I will reset the gauge as it had to start from 16l/100 when I left the dealership.
Just returned from a trip down to the Peninsula and it hummed along quietly and powered up Arthurs Seat road. That was very surprising being new to the diesel world.
Keeping you informed....

Cheers,
Steve

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Great to hear you're pretty happy with it so far.... :goodjob:

That Arthurs Seat road is great fun isn't it, did you turn around and do it all over again?  :D

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:evil: Sure did Rustynutz!
Did it in the wet too! Really handled it well.
It is a great car. Small issues only.
Cheers,
Steve

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Steve,

Interesting on the low beam as I have commented on the same thing. I requested the dealer adjust them at the first check up which they advised they did but I felt they were still extremely low. I am going to check with them what method they use to test the height and also looking into ADRs so I can be specific on how I want them set. I will let you know if I get any progress on this, let me know if you do also 😉

I will check the doors and sat nav tomorrow and provide any feedback but I think mine is the same. My mother in-law called today asking how to open the fuel filler and had experienced the same thing with the two front doors being unlocked but the two rear were still locked, and so was the fuel filler so I would say mine is doing the same.

This weekends trip averaged 5.2 over about 660kms, taking my current avg to 6.1 over 1843kms (based on trip computer).

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've done 350 odd km in mine so far. Um, question.. Is it normal for the engine to knock for half a second or so every time it starts? Is this due to the light running in oil..?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
1. The HID headlamps (since it's a Premium) are set to a low, a very low spread of beam whilst driving at night on an unlighted roadway. I'm forever having to throw on the high beam to show me what's further ahead. (the 1,000,000 potholes along our crappy roads)

Do you not have a "load" hight adjuster on your car so you can higher/lower beam?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
2. The rear door locks stay locked when the vehicle is stopped, but the engine is still running. I thought is was the child lock feature, but it is not. The internal thumb lock rocker above the handle needs to be rotated to the unlock position in order for the rear occupant to exit. I need this to be checked/confirmed.

Mine does this.

Only deactivates when the key is removed.

I have an unlock button below the radio so I can unlock the rear doors while still having the engine running.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Do you not have a "load" hight adjuster on your car so you can higher/lower beam?

Not in Australia it appears 😔 done 'Automatically' 😒 I originally thought that may have been my problem and it was not functioning and stuck at the lowest height but I have tested it against a wall and can see them adjust based on a change in the car level.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Steve for the feedback and stikman for the feedback on the feedback  :D

Your economy is so good stikman, I went checking if you had a manual but soon realised you have the auto only Premium  :mrgreen:

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Steve,

All my doors auto lock (which I think can be turned off) and then unlock when I stop and put it into park. There is also a switch on the door that locks/unlocks all doors so that may be your other option to unlock the rears to let people out.

I see what you mean on the Sat Nav, as soon as you turn the system on it wants radio/media and you select Nav/Map. Could not see a way to turn on only the Sat Nav on the way to work, sorry 😞

Can you try something for me? 😃 the button on my hatch needs to be held to open the hatch, I.e. if I just press it and release it the hatch release triggers (you can hear it) but you cannot lift the hatch (it has only half released if you know what i mean). If I press and hold and lift at the same time it opens up. Is yours the same? 😃 not sure if this is by design or if it needs adjusting. The dealer was not very helpful when I asked them to check this so my next option is to go and try one in the car yard 😉

Hope the above helps a little.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The actuator (solenoid thingy) can be a little dicky in some i30's and even the new Veloster.. I haven't heard of one only half working though.. They seem to either not work at all or only sometimes..I had an intermittent problem with the hatch in our first i30 and a friend has had a ongoing issue with the hatch in her Veloster ( the dealer had a bit of trouble isolating the issue with hers)

Very occasionally it happens with a door lock as well.. :confused:

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Hi Steve,

All my doors auto lock (which I think can be turned off) and then unlock when I stop and put it into park. There is also a switch on the door that locks/unlocks all doors so that may be your other option to unlock the rears to let people out.

I see what you mean on the Sat Nav, as soon as you turn the system on it wants radio/media and you select Nav/Map. Could not see a way to turn on only the Sat Nav on the way to work, sorry 😞

Can you try something for me? 😃 the button on my hatch needs to be held to open the hatch, I.e. if I just press it and release it the hatch release triggers (you can hear it) but you cannot lift the hatch (it has only half released if you know what i mean). If I press and hold and lift at the same time it opens up. Is yours the same? 😃 not sure if this is by design or if it needs adjusting. The dealer was not very helpful when I asked them to check this so my next option is to go and try one in the car yard 😉

Hope the above helps a little.

Please folks, this is not a car bashing post. I'm not a car basher! It's actually such a machine of beauty....

So, no probs Stikman.
Yeah, Dazzler is correct. The thing with these electric lock solenoids is that you must also lift whilst depressing the four finger switch. Now, I'm not sure what type of electric lock the FD series uses, but the GD has a four finger button. Everybody will notice the recess at the center of the bumper to slot your right or left hand in to, to lift the tailgate. If you simply depress the button and NOT lift, the safety secondary lock is applied. My previous vehicle (which will remain nameless on account of who I work for...aka.. the opposition) had the same feature and was a downright pain to open. This version is much easier and has a softer operating & locking action. Time will tell. So, Stikman, this is by design. Press and lift at the same time. You'll get the hang of it!

I think we as forum members may need to point out the differing features Australian vehicles have when discussing minor issues. The reason being, as eye30 has pointed out, the Aussie Premium has no key only the smart key/fob version. So, there is no removing the key from the ignition barrel to deactivate the rear door locks. Something I will need to check with the owners manual and deactivate the auto locks.

Also, the headlight beam is set far too low as stated by Stikman. I'm thinking they are set this low so as to not 'dazzle' (not you Dazzler!) oncoming vehicles with those magnificent HID lamps. Uber white cool light beams they are. So, Stikman, get the level raised as far as they will allow or do it yourself if they don't. I'm sure it's just a matter of aligning the beam on to a garage door and some masking tape and using a philips head screwdriver.....

It's not a HUGE issue.
I'm simply making a point about it.

Hope this helps you all.

Cheers,
Steve

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for confirming the hatch Steve, thought it might be but wanted to double check. Already used to it really, it was only the first couple of times that threw me 😉

Found out tonight that pressing the clock button with the stereo off brings up an analogue clock 😃 bit of useless information for you that does not help your Sat Nav problem but thought I would share anyway 👍😜

Offline i30forme

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:mrgreen: Well folks,
so far, after the first complimentary service, which is a general check up and nut tightening... the car is running very well.
Took it to Beechworth last weekend and loved driving it.
Best roads heading up from Healsville to Mansfield and then along my favourite motorbike road from Mansfield to Whitfield. Switched the flexsteer to Sport and swallowed those tight curves with aplomb. Never once it felt skittish around some fairly tight bends and just nicely powered out of them. Fuel economy was slightly up around 5.6L/100 which I thought was due to the engine being still tight. Autos are slightly thirstier.
I was surprised with the handling, being a rear torsion beam I thought would make it rear up the rear quarter when throwing it into a corner, but like I said...it felt planted. Super comfortable and a quiet ride. Had the sunroof tilt open most of the way.
So, all in all. So far so good.
Head lamp beam was raised by the service department....but it's still slightly too low for night time driving. Maybe the socket set has to come out of retirement?

Any questions? I'll give you an answer.... GET ONE!
There you go.
Cheers,
Steve

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good on you Steve nice feedback  :goodjob: :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Steve, a question if I may.
You said your had the sunroof tilt open - I thought the 'roof only slid backwards. Does it tilt too?
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yep, tilt up or slide back 😉 or just open the screen/blind (without opening the glass) and enjoy the light without any wind (kids loved that today, was a beautiful sunny Qld day today).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal