Time to get their number

Guest · 232 · 49334

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Kind of still on topic.. I was in Launceston today and a bloke on a big BMW Bike had his stereo blasting quite loud  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Did you get his number?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did you get his number?  :undecided:

I think it was 1100  :P

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think it was 1100  :P
Dial before you Dig?  :head_butt:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Kind of still on topic.. I was in Launceston today and a bloke on a big BMW Bike had his stereo blasting quite loud  :eek:
Dazz have you had to wear a helmet & listen to a stereo? I think helmet should be compulstary in cars too , too many are killed from head injuries. one day it will happen just bad for hair style.
cheers
also I think a guy on a BMW mc would be middle aged. probably just trying to show off . or might be deaf  :rofl:
side note I can't hear a stereo would not matter how loud it was, but I can feel the vibration from some in cars. but don't bother me at all , I could hear fine till I was 16. so it's possible to live without it & still love life :mrgreen:
cheers
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 21:46:04 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz have you had to wear a helmet & listen to a stereo? I think helmet should be compulstary in cars too , too many are killed from head injuries. one day it will happen just bad for hair style.
cheers

Good point John, just that I haven't noticed a lot of Bikes with stereos blazing  :cool:

Not so sure about helmets in cars (good idea but can't see it happening)

Would look funny too  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
cheers

Good point John, just that I haven't noticed a lot of Bikes with stereos blazing  :cool:

Dazz back in 2000 Guildo a funny guy I know got a friend to fit stereo speakers to a sports bike just to have music on that long ride from Bondi Junction to Bondi Beach. I don't think there is another posser to rival Guildo but he is also a very funny man can make anyone laugh.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
cheers

all the race car drivers have to wear helmets in there race cars even on TV also the Stig wears one. it can help some peoples looks too LOL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think people would tend to drive faster if they wore helmets.. I know I used to when I wore driving gloves  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Helmets in cars would dramatically increase theincidence of whiplash type neck injuries as the wearers are belted into their seats.
Race car drivers using helmets also have to use the HANS device which supports their head in an accident, reducing whiplash.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
beat me to it surferdude!!

turn the volume down, its got some horrid music...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Better whiplash than a caved in head!  :lol:

Come on guys, if it's good enough for motorcyclists, it's good enough for car drivers.... :whistler:
Where are those who reckoned rules should be the same for bikes and cars now?  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm here.
When they start fitting seatbelts to motorbikes, I'll consider wearing a helmet in a car.  :lol:
We all had to wear helmets doing police driver training at Wanneroo Raceway (Barbagallos).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i a car a helmet restricts the view too much, the head rest gets in the way, getting in and out you are constantly bashing your head on the roof and you become very dependent on the rear vision mirrors...

more of a danger, and as you saw the extra weight causes more problems with out a hans device.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
agentr31, sorry other than the hans statement(for car use),can't agree with any of these comments,as for the extra weight comment,must be a hell of a lot of bike riders out there then with problems.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You'd soon get used to it, Ian... :winker:

As for a HANS device, bahhhh....you'll survive without one.
If it's good enough for a motorcyclist to not have one, it's good enough for you... :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
agentr31, sorry other than the hans statement(for car use),can't agree with any of these comments,as for the extra weight comment,must be a hell of a lot of bike riders out there then with problems.
Hi NB(R). The key difference is that car drivers are belted into place. So the weight of the helmet pushing their head forward can cause not only whiplash but broken necks.
On a bike, the rider's whole body is moving forward. Sure they may well hit an immovable object but their head is generally not being wrenche dform their shoulders.
As to getting used to wearing a helmet in a car, true. You do. I've spent many hours in rally cars and on the track in a helmet with no issues.
On two occasions I've gone close to losing my head due to having a helmet on in what would have been minor incidents. One was a head on into a tree. Not serious in itself but the force of the helmet pushing my head forward in the sudden stop is not one I wish to experience again. The second was as a co-driver in a stadium off road event and as we dropped over a bank and bottomed out on the ground below, I happened to have my head down. So, I not only didn't see the bump coming, my neck was already just about at maximum downward stretch.
I was stiff and sore for weeks.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Surferdude,Hence the reason I had agreed with the HANS statement,I have also been invovled in both Car and Bike motorsports in my younger days and believe me I have experienced almost fatal accidents in both,believe me I can understand where you are coming from but if it were not for a helmet in both cars and on bike I certainly wouldn't be here today.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude,Hence the reason I had agreed with the HANS statement,I have also been invovled in both Car and Bike motorsports in my younger days and believe me I have experienced almost fatal accidents in both,believe me I can understand where you are coming from but if it were not for a helmet in both cars and on bike I certainly wouldn't be here today.
I think we're on the same page.
But my point is that in a road car,a helmet without a HANS device would only add to the risks in a majority (IMHO) of accidents. And the HANS device would definitely be too restrictive in a road car.
One more point regarding helmets in cars. At what age would they become mandatory on kids? Probably make sense once they are out of baby capsules. But imagine a young kid trying not to have his neck broken from the weight of a helmet in an accident.

So, I believe it's horses for courses in this matter. Helmets on motor cycles (only because seat belts and air bags aren't practical) and seat belts and air bags in cars.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

So, I believe it's horses for courses in this matter. Helmets on motor cycles (only because seat belts and air bags aren't practical) and seat belts and air bags in cars.

Agreed, I have enough trouble now getting the missus in the car , to get to where we're going on time, just imagine her working out how to put  a helmet on so it didn't mess up her hair  :scared: I just couldn't imagine having a hoarde of Kids having to deal with  :whistler: yes lets stick with your horses for courses gig  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just getting back on topic for a moment.... :whistler:

Here's what VicRoads had to say about front number plates & RFID's in their recent submission to the Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety....

“Between 2002 and 2008, VicRoads investigated the front Identification of motorcycles using decals (sticky labels) and fittings (brackets) to suit the many different designs of motorcycles

However, the Corporation was unable to develop a common decal type and fixing method that would be suitable for every motorcycle model. Decals were identified as being difficult to implement and as modern designs evolve, particularly for sports type motorcycles it will become more difficult to attach decals and mounting brackets. Other issues identified included a requirement for the fittings to be fixed by a certified installer and the associated costs. Consultation with senior officers of other transport agencies at that time indicated that a decal solution was not generally preferred.

In March 2009 the Standing Committee on Transport endorsed the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) as the agency to lead the national development of a technology-based solution for identifying motorcycles. In undertaking this role, TMR commissioned a consultancy to examine Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technologies and digital speed camera equipment to see how well RFID technology met the required performance criteria.

The examination concluded that RFID is not a practical solution to complement existing speed enforcement practices for the identification of motorcycles, and is unlikely to be for the foreseeable future and that new speed cameras that can target speeding motorcycles from the front and identify them from their rear plates are being trialled in Australia.”

Full submission: http://tinyurl.com/Vicroads-Submission

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal