i30 Owners Club

3lt/100km - It can be done!

Thumper · 40 · 16744

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Sopel, that vacume hose is at rear of motor up top, could disconect and block hose with something, just so you don't have a vacume leak. all it will do is stop the low speed adjustable cavitation part of the turbo from operating. but if you leave it this way too long the adjustable cavitation function could carbon up. i could not see the point of doing this or even trying it. just drive slow.

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
hmm i'm just curious. :)
my average now is about 6.4l/100km

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
if you are 6.4 now i don't think doing that will get you 3, thumper was always below 5 to start with. but could always try it you want. let us all know what results you get.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Low 4's to high 3's when taking it easy, mid to high 4's when pushing it.

Apparently I must be lucky, since I've been told that none of the modifications or changes I have performed could possibly reduce my fuel use! (Only increase fuel use) Though, they are only 'assuming' since they haven't asked what I have done, fully.  :mrgreen:

Pulling the tube was a test, and I wouldn't recommended doing it on the i30. (Unless you know what you are doing)  :exclaim:

Wait till you get some more KM's on the engine, and change your driving style to a more sedate version.   8)

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
i'm not talking about getting it to 3/100 , i now i can't do it :P i'm just wondering how car would act , after this 'modification' , but for now, i'm not gonna do this, maybe it's too risky, or maybe i just want to have fun on low revs too :)

Cheers, and thx for interesting in that case.

ouri30

Apparently I must be lucky, since I've been told that none of the modifications or changes I have performed could possibly reduce my fuel use! (Only increase fuel use) Though, they are only 'assuming' since they haven't asked what I have done, fully.  :mrgreen:

I am confused Thumper.  Have you been holding back information from us about ALL about what you have done. 

Maybe if you came clean and told the forum everything it might be more believable.  Or have you told us everything?

I'm confused and therefore less likely to believe you than I was before.

Why not stop hedging around?

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Maybe if you came clean and told the forum everything it might be more believable.  Or have you told us everything?

I'm confused and therefore less likely to believe you than I was before.

Why not stop hedging around?

Bob

Bob, upon request of Hyundai Australia, I have not posted all that I have done to my vehicle, due to security and safety measures that Hyundai wish to remain in place on the i30 CRDi.

Yes, we (We being a Bosch engineer and myself) did indeed find a way to remove the left foot braking issue, we also found out how to extract more than enough power from these engines.

Hyundai Australia and myself have been in constant contact over these 'issues' and mods, to the point that I have been formally requested not to post how 'certain' mods can be and have been performed. (Due to safety concerns from drivers who are not as advanced as others, and from a ecological/financial standpoint.)

Everyone knows that I have a MICI Tuningbox, this fact I have not hidden. Also I have posted that I have the USB tuning cable and software. What I did not correct was when one member on here assumed that I only increased fuel pressure. Yes you can increase fuel rail pressure, but on the other hand you can also REDUCE fuel rail pressure, all according to RPM. (Custom mapping can be set to reduce rail pressure at a low RPM, then ramp up the pressure at a higher RPM, vice versa, you can set it the other way around, if you wish.)

So, on the highway when I sit at around 2,200rpm all the way into work, I can set a map that reduces the fuel rail pressure when at cruising RPM. This reduces fuel consumption on the highway whilst driving at normal highway speeds. It produces reduced EGT's, and less heat load on the engine as many have found out on the Sydney meet.

What I will say (And yes, I'll be smacked about the head with a bit of 4x2 for saying this) Whilst working with the Bosch engineer, we found that the i30 CRDi uses a totally different throttle system than your normal home grown EFI setup. It is akin to an on-demand system, rather than a 'just squirt fuel in' system. The CRDi is a proactive system, instead of the normal reactive system.

When you increase the throttle in a EFI system, a certain amount of fuel is injected into the engine according to base fuel maps stored in the ECU. There is a leeway + and - to this amount according to some parameters like coolant temp, altitude, knock sensor, lambda sensor, so on and so forth.

So the amount of fuel put in is reactive to the engines sensors.

The i30 CRDi uses more of a proactive approach to fuel injection. The throttle is more like a request for a certain amount of power, this request is sent to the ECU which then monitors items like fuel temp, coolant temp, ambient air temp, air pressure, air flow, oil temp, oil pressure, RPM, lambda, boost pressure. It then feeds in enough fuel to increase engine RPM whilst maintaining the right amount of power and torque for the given RPM, engine load and emissions.

Any change to the airflow (Like a free flowing exhaust) will cause the ECU to artificially reduce torque/power to preset 'maps' that it already knows. You can remove the exhaust in it's entirety, and produce 0% net power gain at the wheels. (That is unless you fool another sensor about airflow or remove the artificial limiting inside the ECU. Though I am not allowed to speak about these.)

This question was asked several times to a certain person on here, with no result.

The ECU in the i30 CRDi is very smart indeed.

All I wanted to do was make my CRDi i30 more economical, without resorting to complex ECU re-writes and removing vital protection parameters, so all testing and modifications performed where done with off the shelf, basic components that were of a plug-in-play nature.

The i30 CRDi 1.6lt engine is a very flexible and capable unit that can return amazing fuel economy, or produce substantial amounts of power, well beyond the capabilities of the clutch, brakes and chassis.

The only thing I've withheld from you all was that I had an engineer trained on Bosch systems to help me look into certain parameters. This was due to Hyundai requesting me not to post about them.

The only items I run on my vehicle now are the MICI Tuningbox with my own maps installed, and the ScanguageII unit, so I can keep a very close eye on what is happening.

Bob, thank you for asking me, and taking the time to read this.

ouri30
Thanks for that informative posting Thumper.  That has clarified a many gaps in previous postings.

I don't think it is necessary for any reference that has a dig at other members, past or present, however.

Bob

Offline jamiec

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• in Tasmania
Thanks for that thumper please keep up the great work :D

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Unread Posts