Hyundai i30 Servicing - Customer service experience

Pantries · 130 · 31026

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Question, since the previous owner paid $180 to get the interior lighting installed, do I as the second owner have any right to get a refund for the interior lighting since its now useless?

My immediate reaction is that because you did not have the lights installed you are not entitled to a refund - I suspect that you bought the car "as seen" - unless of course the contract documents specifically mention the lighting and its value..

My feeling is that if the dealer was guilty of fitting non-original parts - you might be able to squeeze a refund as a gesture of goodwill.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
i could not see a dealer like Suttons installing non genuine. they have been in the game too long & know the rules. very large dealership.

The other dealership is Tynan Motors, which is fairly big too.

Question, since the previous owner paid $180 to get the interior lighting installed, do I as the second owner have any right to get a refund for the interior lighting since its now useless?

Boy lets not get greedy,I didn't realise you were the second owner,as longas the original purchase was done at Hy,everything should be covered under warranty,given when you bought the car the remainder of the new car warranty was signed onto you,all problems should be put back into working order,as you purchased the car with everything operational,none of these repairs should have cost you at all,as Alan said also they should also as a gesture of good will,refund your service fee.

You say Sutton motors is where you bought the car,you aren't in NT are you,I had an uncle who started a dealership in Alice called Sutton motors,they got quite big.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just to put another spin on this.

I stand to to be corrected but any extra's not fitted by the manufacturer as part of the building of the car prior to delivery to the selling garage are only warranted for the period provided by the seller, usually 12 months from purchase.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Hmmm, fortunately the interior lighting accessory was added prior to when the car was picked up by the first owner, and the car was purchased in January this year so it should be within the 12 months of warranty.

And in regards to being greedy haha, I don't mind about the 180 for the lighting, but I'm concerned about the service fee because it ain't right haha. Cheers for the responses.
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The way I see it,

If the lights are genuine, servicing dealer is wrong, refund re service cost.

If the lights arn't genuine, you are entitled to have the cost born by the installing dealer, and you are also entitled to compensation for the 'wrong' (ie you bought them in good faith based on the invoice, so they should pull out the non genuine parts and replace them with genuine).

I suspect the servicing dealer has seen you are the second owner and tried to pull a swifty, not realising you had the paperwork from the original owner.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
True mate, valid points. I'm not exactly sure what they said when I was picking the car up, but they mentioned that the short circuiting issue was affecting other cars too, and only works with one or the other (auto wipers or interior lighting), so can you get a refund if both can't run at the same time since they should've known from the beginning that both can't run at once?

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I bought my car from Suttons in Sydney (I know which 2 dealerships it could be) but have always been wary because there are so many dodgy reports on them in forums, but mainly from the Holden side.

I know they are big, but that doesn't mean they can't be dodgy. I suspected they didn't do a tyre rotation on a service despite telling me they did. I had to take the car back and argue that the rear tyres dstill had more tread at which point they promptly did the rotation. I do think their service prices are excessive but unfortunately they are closest.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Said they'd call me back on Monday, but they didn't. So I called them today to see what's happening, and the bloke that looked into the case seemed pretty clueless, even with the notes that have been left. Suttons still hasn't faxed the necessary documents, after saying they would on Monday so the regional manager is trying to investigate.. Got to wait for the bloke that originally took the report to call me back today.

Sounds like their all over the place...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :rolleyes: :Pout: :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Mmmm, who knows.

But I'm curious as to why the interior lighting is supposedly short circuiting the auto wipers...? Why would they install feature that clashes with another car feature? Unless the people that installed it have done a dodgy job or something..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Perhaps they picked up the power supply for the lights from the rain sensor at the top of the screen. So when you put the lights on the car don't know it's raining... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 Sounds to me like a classic example of too many tricks & you trick yourself.

I think new cars are going overboard on features that just make us lazy. i was in a friends Focus & going out to dinner, friend was going to park & i asked does this park its self? they said yes & were showing me how it works, the monitor tells you what to do, said drive forward, too me seemed to want to go too far forward. when we started to reverse, a lady in a Territory drove into the spot the car was trying to park itself in. i think it's a hopeless feature no one who can drive would waist time useing.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Did the Focus abuse the Territory for taking it's spot, or haven't they built that in yet.   :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did the Focus abuse the Territory for taking it's spot, or haven't they built that in yet.   :idea:

I'll pay that one!  :lol: :judges:

Built in road rage (it will come)  :sweating:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Hahaha, yeah, I think their going overboard with features but unfortunately that's how it'll go. Bit off topic but I just wonder what happens when auto park is standard in cars, new drivers won't have the basics and just rely on technology.

But anyway, they didn't call me back yesterday, so I'm not sure what to do. Guess I'll just wait for them to call me back. I think the end result will be that they didn't realise that the interior lighting short circuits the wipers, so they'll refund both the service and lights but that's being hopeful. Tynan did mention that they only just recently discovered that all i30s, both 2012 and 2013 have short circuited the wipers when you've got interior lighting.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Just got a call from Hyundai. The regional manager is going to contact Tynan to have a talk with them in regards to getting my $180 refund for the service and why they claim its non genuine. I asked as to what happens when they tell me I can't have both running at once and he said you'll have to take it to Suttons and they'll fix it for you.. Not sure how that works but alright, haha.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:confused: :goodjob: :head_butt:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
:confused: :goodjob: :head_butt:
Exactly how I feel mate! Least Ill get my $180 back, so I'm happy about that. I'll see what happens when Tynan again says you can't have both running. I'll put Hyundai Customer Service on speed dial.  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It is impossible for them to suggest that both can't run at the same time. The blue lighting, being LED, is a very small power consumer, so there is no need to upgrade fuses etc and therefore no excuse for not enabling them to run, whenever you like.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
It is impossible for them to suggest that both can't run at the same time. The blue lighting, being LED, is a very small power consumer, so there is no need to upgrade fuses etc and therefore no excuse for not enabling them to run, whenever you like.

Hmm, that's what I thought.. When I picked up the car Tynan claimed that they called someone and they confirmed that the car can't run both at the same time... Eh, I don't know haha. I'll ask when I go in again.

Cheers for the responses.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good Stuff Pantries!

well no conflict we just parked behind the Territory, but the driver parked this time  :lol: The Territory had a young Mum with her kids. you don't pick on young mums they have there job cut out for sure!

you would have to be hopeless at parking to use the feature as its a bit slow to use. it would never cut it in sydney CBD or any of the inner city suburbs ( they are a breed of there own  :lol:)

with electric's, maybe it was a factory option but the way they wired was wrong so they will probably wire it up the right way now.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
with electric's, maybe it was a factory option but the way they wired was wrong so they will probably wire it up the right way now.

It surely sounds like a design flaw. I assume there must be a connector for genuine lighting option to be easily plugged in? It would be quite amateurish if a genuine option is installed with crimp connectors into the nearest positive voltage wire they can find.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
They were supposed to call me back on Friday last week.. Yet nothing. Guess I'll have to call them back again, tomorrow..  :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Haha, probably mate.

They called me back today, and said I'll get the $180 put towards my next service. They said that their logs weren't up to date, and because each part has a code, this particular part (the interior lighting), had an unfamiliar code, and so they recognized it as an non-genuine part.

And I'm now organizing to go back in and getting my interior lighting resolved.

So far so good.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Re Tynan Motors, huge dealership in the Sutherland Shire and elsewhere. Michael Tynan, whom I met many years ago, started it all as a Mazda Dealer, now they have many makes.  Reputable company, they should deal with any problems.
 :happydance:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Re Tynan Motors, huge dealership in the Sutherland Shire and elsewhere. Michael Tynan, whom I met many years ago, started it all as a Mazda Dealer, now they have many makes.  Reputable company, they should deal with any problems.
 :happydance:

Their customer service is alright.. I tried calling them to sort out the interior lighting, but they said I must go to Suttons.. I called Suttons and they said Tynan should be able to do it, so I called Tynan  back and spoke to their supervisor. They then said they can fix it. The supervisor transfers me to the service desk but says their all busy, and grabs my details and said they'll call me back after 5-10 minutes. An hour passes and nothing, so I call back then I kept getting thrown from person to person because no-one answered their damn phone.. Now I'm again waiting for a phone call back and yet nothing. :neutral:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Haha, probably mate.

They called me back today, and said I'll get the $180 put towards my next service. They said that their logs weren't up to date, and because each part has a code, this particular part (the interior lighting), had an unfamiliar code, and so they recognized it as an non-genuine part.

And I'm now organizing to go back in and getting my interior lighting resolved.

So far so good.

I wouldn't be happy with this for three reasons;

1) you are entitled to a refund and should get it.
2) it forces you to use that dealer again
3) They have the benifit of your money in the meantime (ie they can get interest on it and you can't).

But to each their own....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal