i30 Owners Club

Any of our members still riding their pushy's?

Lakes · 420 · 85672

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
No mate, cable operated but very efficient I will say.
It's not a mega expensive bike, £150, made in Australia actually I think....

It's an Apollo Paradox  Halfords | Apollo Paradox Full Suspension Mountain Bike - 20"

Thanks Keith , probably depends on how the brake set up, I have rubber shoes brake on rim edge but not race bike type I have the mountain bike type, seem to require less effort than the mechanical disc brake bikes I had a ride on, have never ridden hydraulic disc brake pushy yet. But I don't race down hill I go easy but go flat out up hill.
Push myself.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I shall have to get on a bike again one day. Has been 9 years since I last rode a bike.  It's a long story, but I quit riding on the advice of our local doctor.  You see, I had just bought my daughter a new bike and was into a fitness stage of my life, playing golf every week, mowing the lawn with a push mower and sneaking a ride on my daughter's bike whenever I could.

Then I got this horrible food poisoning (well that's what I and the doctor thought it was) and about a week later things were still not good.   Still managed to mow the lawn and ride the bike.  Doctor redid the blood tests and this time something showed up.

He asked me to come down to the local hospital for a chat.  At my earliest convenience, I got on the bike and peddled down to see him, meeting him on the road as he went home for lunch.  He revealed the findings as a possible heart attach telling me to "... get up to the hospital and get of that bloody bike and stay off it!"

So, you see, for 9 years, I've been doing what the doctor said.  Well, that's my excuse.

sorry about that Bob, i have blood tests about once or twice a year, riding the bike helps my health.
my older cousin ( 72 ) was telling me he had a heart attack &  was not aware at first but did not  feel well he was out with his four gran sons told them he was going to phone triple 0. an ambo came took him to hosp they confirmed he had a heart attack. he had treatment & ok.

No issues now John.  9 years later and plugging along quite well.  I was thinking the other day that bike riding in retirement might well be good for me, along with 2 rounds of golf a week.

Bob I think it will be very good for you, start off easy work your way up, hope you carry your clubs like a cave man lol not ride in a golf buggy like an invalid.
Cheers

ouri30
Well, I've done it, I've bought a bike, unseen (other than a photo and description) and should pick it up later this week.  Will start off slowly.  Luckily it is relatively flat around here.  The bike is a Giant STP off road type.  Looks a treat.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A pic would be nice, ouri30  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I just got back from a solid ride.

It started out with a nice climb for 25 minutes to really get the heart going.  The climb was 240m vertical, not that big, but big enough.  I got up to 63.4 km/h on the way down the other side.  Then it was followed by a nice ride around the foreshore on both sealed and unsealed roads.  All up a 27.2 km ride, in about 1 hour 40 minutes.  I didn't want to break any records today, just get back on the bike.

Slightly Stuffed Little Bit Less FatBoy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Been out this morning doing a gentle 15 miles.

As i've not been on my bike for some 4 months the body and mind were willing but the legs not, (and i'm saddle sore!).

Need to build up over the coming weeks as there is a 60 mile route i want to do over the easter period.

Eye that's a good distance, I ride 16k to 30k depending, & the ride I went on was 42k but your talking miles. How long did 15 mile easy take? Any big hill's the riding were iam will always involve hill's & if with the group the hills will be dirt tracks . I just got some slightly bigger knobby tyres to put on same wheels see how that goes As a lot cheaper than buying a mountain bike with suspension .

Well time is not that important being retired.

I was out for 4 hours in total but about 1 hour was sat outside a cafe having a tea and a chat.

Actual cycling time probably 2 hours!

No hills all flat as was cycling along the coastal path.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: eye30
I was out for 4 hours in total ...

If cycling makes you comatose, you should quit right away :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
2 hours, 4 hours.   :wtf:   You're scaring hell out of me.  I have just bought the bike and I thought, maybe a half our here, an hour there. 

What have I let myself in for? 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Relax ouri30, just work your way into it and don't forget to get some pleasure out if it otherwise you won't continue.

PS Be careful on your roads, in the country everyone drives pretty fast.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: eye30
I was out for 4 hours in total ...

If cycling makes you comatose, you should quit right away :eek:

:lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well, I've done it, I've bought a bike, unseen (other than a photo and description) and should pick it up later this week.  Will start off slowly.  Luckily it is relatively flat around here.  The bike is a Giant STP off road type.  Looks a treat.
Bob congratulations, not sure on that model Giant but Giant make nice bikes. About 90% of the bikes in the group I road with were Giant. I just get on the bike to see how well I fit, as I like the right size for  myself. Then I check components like quality of gear set as some types shift quicker & smoother. I also check brake feel as some stop a lot easier than others, I like good brake feel.but that is not too important on flat ground as don't need to use brakes as hard, down big hill's it is very important as pushy's free wheel.
Don't ride too far the first few day's or you will have a sore bum, it's like new shoes, need breaking in.
Also if you ride on thorns or things like that buy two spare tyre tubes, if you get a flat cut the punctured tube in half put it between tyre & new tube , works like puncture protection.
Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 19:23:59 by Lakes »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Relax ouri30, just work your way into it and don't forget to get some pleasure out if it otherwise you won't continue.

Phil I notice victorian's & those from the ACT drive different to Sydney & even different parts of Sydney they drive different.
Like myself I 'm alway's aware of other's I put myself in there shoe's so to speak. If I see someone trying to cross the road I will ease up let them cross. That's in town not on open road. If I see a cyclist I give them room. But down were I am, no one stops to aloe someone to cross the road no matter . I just can't work out there logic. As if a person crossing the road fall's you risk runing them down,they seem less curtius in the  CBD of Sydney pedestrian's rule so do cyclist's some have action cam's,eventually everyone will have them I'd say.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Been out this morning doing a gentle 15 miles.

As i've not been on my bike for some 4 months the body and mind were willing but the legs not, (and i'm saddle sore!).

Need to build up over the coming weeks as there is a 60 mile route i want to do over the easter period.

Eye that's a good distance, I ride 16k to 30k depending, & the ride I went on was 42k but your talking miles. How long did 15 mile easy take? Any big hill's the riding were iam will always involve hill's & if with the group the hills will be dirt tracks . I just got some slightly bigger knobby tyres to put on same wheels see how that goes As a lot cheaper than buying a mountain bike with suspension .

Well time is not that important being retired.

I was out for 4 hours in total but about 1 hour was sat outside a cafe having a tea and a chat.

Actual cycling time probably 2 hours!

No hills all flat as was cycling along the coastal path.

Thank's eye, I keep forgetting I' retired too LOL, but I work my way up, the group I road with ride at a good pace, but they have advanced and slower groups the slower do a shorter easy route, I went on the advanced, or with advanced group first time but they stop to wait if someone get a flat or other problem. We have a very hilly terrane along the coast where I am so it's up an down hill's, they really get you to work. The longest ride we do is about 55k but they love the cafe's as we have a lot of ladies ride too. All trim & fit.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I bought my last bike (a Trek Flat-bar road bike) from a bike shop in Melbourne.  That was after years of buying bikes from K-mart, toy shops, etc.  The bike shop was able to ask what I wanted a bike for, measured me up, and then fitted the bike to me when it arrived.  This made a big difference to my comfort and effort on the bike.  It also came with 1 years free servicing (which I used a couple of times before moving away), they even told me I could bring the bike in weekly for a service if I wanted.

My bike looks like this:

FX - Trek Bicycle

For those in Melbourne, I got my bike from The Freedom Machine.

Welcome to TFM - The Freedom Machine

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Phil I notice victorian's & those from the ACT drive different to Sydney & even different parts of Sydney they drive different.
Like myself I 'm alway's aware of other's I put myself in there shoe's so to speak. If I see someone trying to cross the road I will ease up let them cross. That's in town not on open road. If I see a cyclist I give them room. But down were I am, no one stops to aloe someone to cross the road no matter . I just can't work out there logic. As if a person crossing the road fall's you risk runing them down,they seem less curtius in the  CBD of Sydney pedestrian's rule so do cyclist's some have action cam's,eventually everyone will have them I'd say.

Where I live, people are more tolerant of cyclists, due to the tour down under race. But where ouri30 lives there are wide open spaces and people feel like they're a long way from anyone else and tend to  drive at speed. Also, the speed limit on his roads is probably 80 kmh or more which means increased danger to a mature aged gentleman, just getting some exercise.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Phil, Bob you need to buy some very bright flashing taillight & headlight that's what I use also hi vis clothing

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

This link will give you an idea of what I have purchased:
2005 STP 1

Looks very similar to the one that Fatboy (Jamie) has  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Been checking out my son's bike, a saracen giant some 17 yo, and it needs a few new rear spokes and tensioning up.

Have replaced the odd spoke before but the whole wheel needs to be centred etc which if not done right can cause the wheel to collapse!

I'm looking at using it this year as it is ally frame and wheels which is a lot lighter than the steel frame i'm currently using.

Plus better all round bike.

Been quoted £45 for a full service plus parts i.e. spokes which are about £5.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like it would be worth it Lester  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

This link will give you an idea of what I have purchased:
2005 STP 1

Wow, hydraulic ventilated discs F & R, my old Holden didn't even have that.  :faint:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Sounds like it would be worth it Lester  :cool:

Not being done!!

Took the bike and they did a pre service assessment.

If you think hy dealers load the price then read on...

They qouted;
Service
Replace 1 spoke and tighten/run true the wheel
This is what i intended to have done then the ££ started to rack up,

Brake blocks
New chain
New rear cogs
Replace gear change cable
Replace gear change unit
Replace rear wheel bearings.

All told £130.00

at that price i may as well buy a new bike! £100 from Tescos. Ok not named brand.

Said no but asked if they may wish to consider offering me a better price.
No was the reply.

Took the bike home and put it back in the garage.

Having lunch i decided i would take a trip out this afternoon so off i went in the car to the bike shop i bought the bike from 17 years ago.

They checked it over and said yes all the above will need doing but not urgent, may be 12 to 18 months depending on use.

So given the use i was expecting they would for the time being, just replace the spoke and tighten and run true the wheel for £15.

Guess what is being done!

Still have the heavier steel framed bike as standby.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I just got back from a solid ride.

It started out with a nice climb for 25 minutes to really get the heart going.  The climb was 240m vertical, not that big, but big enough.  I got up to 63.4 km/h on the way down the other side.  Then it was followed by a nice ride around the foreshore on both sealed and unsealed roads.  All up a 27.2 km ride, in about 1 hour 40 minutes.  I didn't want to break any records today, just get back on the bike.

Slightly Stuffed Little Bit Less FatBoy

That's great good time for the distance & hill's. Did you drink much water?
I'm away from my bike & miss it, I'm doing long walks for now.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds like a deal  eye, not hard to build a spoke wheel just easier with stand & dial gauge, but if only doing one or two, not worth setting up. I got some knobby bigger tyres to try on the dirt off road with the group. Looked at a Trek x caliber 7 . I liked it & the big wheels they use. But I have 28" skinny tyre now, they use 29" big wider knobby, but I don't want two pushy's & mine very light lighter than the trek, but I like the Trek bikes .

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I carry a 3l Camelbak when I go riding. I think I drank about half of it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ Lester

Good move.. You can buy and switch the brake blocks and some of the other stuff fairly easily yourself!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I carry a 3l Camelbak when I go riding. I think I drank about half of it.

One Hump or Two  :question: :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
We have 5 Camelbaks here. They were very cheap through the US Military. $25 as opposed to $100 here. I used to have a 3l one in the aircraft with me, which would be empty after a 3 hour flight in the Middle East.  I have 3 military style, one small hiking and one cycling.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

@ Lester

Good move.. You can buy and switch the brake blocks and some of the other stuff fairly easily yourself!

I can do all they were suggesting.

it was just that i need the wheel to be realigned properly as at least 90% of the spokes are loose.

If only a couple loose i would have replaced the broken one myself and tightened the loose ones.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal