i30 Owners Club

Is it just my luck ?!

EpOcH · 16 · 4314

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Well, as the story goes, went and got my windows tinted (as per previous post and pictures) and found the rear 2 1/4 glass tints hadnt been cut big enough and as such created an ugly look of letting pure light in and out, on looking closer found some dust & lint under one of the door glasses, trip back to the tinter, Played it cool , these things happen , all good theyre going to fix it.

Get the car back park it for a couple of days , take a closer look back 1/4 glass all good .. but hmm , the door glass is ... oh wait they havnt cleaned all the film off of the door and stuck the new tint over it near the door felting .. sigh ... back again , play it somewhat cool , tell them they can have the car for the full day to fix it as i dont really want to come back again.

Get the car back , they were shut and i was off to Brisbane in a day, looks like they spent a bit more time on it , got rid of a few larger bubbles that shouldnt have been there also , but now there seems to be a *line* through the tint on the left hand rear 1/4 glass window that appears to be under the tint, I'm probably being a little pedantic but the cars new and i want the modifications to be new and not prematurely age the car, this will be the 4th time back there to get it done right, I must say im a little over it.  :twisted:

Did a few KM's on our trip to Brisbane , car was a dream to drive and sipped nicely at the fuel which was expected, enough KM's for a first service (7500km).

I was busier than expected so my wife takes the car in with a couple of complaints to get checked out, one being the LHF door intermittantly doesnt unlock correctly , leaving a car thats *unlocked* but a door that wont open, its happened about 5 or 6 times now, Service guys respoonce to wife "youve got a 5 year warranty , just wait till it breaks", lets just say im not a happy puppy over this responce as we often have 5 people in the car, this would mean we are *stranded* as we wont all be able to fit in the car if a door refuses to unlock.  :twisted:

Now the next complaint was indicators overcancelling, im often seeing the dash flash both lights on indicators cancelling, like i have hazard lights on, dealers answer , "they all do this, its how they are" , again not happy with this responce , if its "how they are" then why doesnt it do it EVERY time. :exclaim:

The next was the drivers armrest on the door , the plastic cover that hides the screw seems to have come adrift as its broken one of its lugs (no idea when/how this has happened), Servicing dealer says if they have one in stock, they will replace it, all good happy enough with that. Item appears as having been fixed on reciept when wife picked the car up , and i had a quick look this morning on my way out to work, it appears superglue was the fix and its been glued inplace with the glue smeered onto the inside of the doorgrip, or atleast thats what it looked like in my mad rush, thought it might have just been some dirty finger marks but it didnt wipe/smudge when i ran my fingers over it this morning, when i get home weather permitting , i'll take a picture of it :(

I'm going to be writing a letter to the dealer principal and sending a copy to Hyundai aswel with a copy of the picture of their *fix* and crap responces to what has been brought up as warranty issues.

Is it just me or am i overreacting ?

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
That is bad luck - I assumed you were talking about some independent workshop until I read further down that it was a Hyundai dealer! Those that complain seem to get more success, hope you get compensated for your trouble. (Why not hint at a couple of 'freebie' extras to keep you happy - just a thought). I usually let the missus do the ranting, she's a professional at it!
I have the same issue with the 'hazard' indicator cancelling, thought it was just my imagination until now.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Regarding the plastic cover in the armrest that hides the screws, you'll probably find that the window tinter removed these to take the door trims off to enable them to apply the tint.
Just for your info.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hmm, possibly although I thought these days they dont remove trims, they use a thin plastic blade of sorts to push it on down past the trim, I could be wrong though(atleast ive seen a couple of youtube video's on tinting that did this).

I would have hoped under that circumstance that the dealer would say to me "sorry its not covered by warranty we believe your tinter to have done the damage you will need to speak to them" and have left it alone, rather than butchering it the way they now have.... I would have been happier with that responce rather than just making it worse as now i have an initial bit of damage that could have been sorted by removing the trim again, taking out the broken leg of the screw cover and ordering a 1$ part to put back in.

Now the trim and clip are both ruined. The passenger side and all the others show no damage whatsoever.

As you can see , the clip is damaged , the trim on the lower section is damaged and there is glue on the top left and bottom of it :(
The clip/trim wasnt damaged before it went there for the dealer fix , as the cover was floating around in the doorgrip area i had a look at it before it went to the dealer, its just dissapointing albiet in an area you wouldnt normally see ... I still know its there.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what dealership and bodgy tinter did you use? cheers steve
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I got my my i30 tinted the other day and I watched them for part of the time and they do remove the trims, so they would have needed to take those screws out. That's the only reason I knew about it.
I know what you mean. You buy a new car and just wish that everyone who works on the car would treat it with respect.
I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Wow thats shocking.  I've always had my cars tinted by the dealer - John Hughes, always top notch job and only a smidge over $200.  They also seem pretty good on the warranty stuff too (although havent had any with the i30 yet, only my wifes car)  I wasnt to happy about them overfilling the oil in my wife's Tucson at the last service tho.  Epoch, you are in Perth are you?  Please let us know who these shonks are so we can steer clear!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm in Perth too and am interested in your dealings with John Hughes service as I'm considering going there with my car. I just had my first "free" service done at another dealership and not at all happy. Definitely won't be going back.  I don't know whether to stick with a Hyundai dealership or go elsewhere.
Sorry, this is off topic.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I'm in Perth too and am interested in your dealings with John Hughes service as I'm considering going there with my car. I just had my first "free" service done at another dealership and not at all happy. Definitely won't be going back.  I don't know whether to stick with a Hyundai dealership or go elsewhere.
Sorry, this is off topic.

I have always gone to John Hughes, and always had good service there, both buying and servicing.  I started to go to Wild West Hyundai when I moved out to Bindoon, as Wangara is a little easier to get to than Welshpool.  Then I went back to John Hughes when my work moved base from Karratha to Perth, as its close to Welshpool.  I had an issue with them over filling the oil on my wife's car.  I wasnt too happy as on the way home, I could smell burning oil.  I rang them and they told me to bring it back in to check.  I did that, and they suggested it was some spillage on the exhaust and that it would burn off.  After about 600km I checked the oil level in the engine to make sure it wasnt going down as I could still smell the burning oil.  It was overfilled, by about half the distance between E and F.  I rang them and complained to the service manager, told them I didnt want to drive the car anymore as the oil may be foaming in the sump from crank windage.  They suggested I take it to a local mechanic, have him replace the oil and they would reimburse me, which they did.  I was just a bit peeved at the lack of care that they obviously didnt check the oil level after I complained the first time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi EpOcH,

No you're not being pedantic.. I would be well and truly ticked off too..

We got dealer tinting free as part of the deal on the wife's Tiida and there are a couple of bubbles low on the back window.. (we just got fobbed off.. they will disappear in time) of course they haven't   :twisted:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd be setting up a sit in at the dealers until is fixed properly.  Don't let them fob you off as they have accepted responsibilty.

Best of luck etc etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
what dealership and bodgy tinter did you use? cheers steve

I'm in SA, I'll keep it a bit quiet at the moment.

The tint was not done through the dealer i had the service done through, i bought the car in Melb and drove it back over here to Adelaide.

The tint was organised and paid for seperately via the tinters thats almost across the road from the dealer i took it to for the service, a place where ive had another car done and been perfectly happy with it first time around.

I'll not name and shame as i dont want to ruin any more of a chance of things going wrong or damaged on purpose atleast until its all fixed.

Still love the car but as mentioned wish other people would treat it with some level of respect.

I think at this stage im going to investigate having services done at another local mechanic shop that i trust and only take it to a dealer for warranty issues.

Hmm, just looked at the reciept, 6.4L of oil .... i thought it only held 5.3L, charged for Engine Oil Flush ($15) and Fuel system additive ($15) with no consultation either.

Once bitten twice shy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm, just looked at the reciept, 6.4L of oil .... i thought it only held 5.3L, charged for Engine Oil Flush ($15) and Fuel system additive ($15) with no consultation either.

For all my services they have only needed 5 litres with the residual that stays in the system...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
unfortunate run there - i do hope for you things improve here on in
i'm a bit scared of buying a new car and having such problems
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i'm a bit scared of buying a new car and having such problems

The odds are very much against you having that may problems with an i30...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
ahh true Dazz, i guess i was thinking also of getting aftermarket accessories and they not being fitted properly, not to mention car parks! i have another new ding on my car this week which i'll need to pop a spot of paint on.

and where i live you simply can not drive a car and not get stone chips. so i'll cry over every stone chip for the first year or so most likely.  :'(
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal