i30 Owners Club

Petrol Economy

i30Dave · 327 · 88066

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
After having written this and re-reading your question I assume the question is how long (how many fills) one would take to notice a difference when changing to a different RON.

Good question:  :rolleyes:  I guess if you refill on an empty tank, then virtually straight away.

cheers that was what i meant.  :)

apologies for not replying sooner, i keep re-reading this page then start thinking about stuff and never replying
anyway - just an update re my dads car...he put some 98RON in this week, i guess he must have taken my comments on board. he put it in on a low tank and he'll use a whole tank in a week. so next week or so i should get a reply about how it went. he grumbled about the extra cost so i do hope he sees a great improvement.

and thanks guys for the reasurance on the legislation about mandatory E10 as well.

Snowcherry, tell your Dad to give it two full tanks of BP Ultimate 98 then see how his car runs. it cleans the injectors cleans the chamber and cleans the spark plugs. i have checked this out myself. i have a falcon V8 too thats all i ever use in it.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
^cheers Lakes, i'll do that  :)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Snowcherry, tell your Dad to give it two full tanks of BP Ultimate 98 then see how his car runs. it cleans the injectors cleans the chamber and cleans the spark plugs. i have checked this out myself. i have a falcon V8 too thats all i ever use in it.

Lakes is exactly right snowcherry, the full benefit won't be felt straight away, but it should be noticeable pretty quickly.

The other thing I hear all the time when you encourage people to try better fuel is that they say the economy actually gets worse.

From my observation it's often because they are trying out the performance to see if the car goes harder on better fuel.

Naturally enough, giving the car a load of welly that it doesn't normally get will cause an increase in consumption... So make sure Dad gives it a fair go compared to how he normally drives it!  :wink:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
And also Snowcherry, tell your dad, when he first fires his XR6 up after filling with BP Ultimate 98, while car is in nutral and runing to give it a few quick short rev's, this allows the computer to learn something about the new tank of fuel, as it will be slightly different in gravity. another trick is to disconect the battery leave it disconected for say 5 or ten minutes then reconect this will clear the ECU.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
ok told him to allow two tanks, plus the rev while in neutral. he didn't want to disconnect the battery in case it reset other stuff as well. cheers guys  :)

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
I only have the base model no trip computers but in the bus business so am working out costs and fuel all the time mine averages 7.5-7.7 l/100ks is a 2 ltr auto last tank was 757klm and the light was not on go the petrols

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
small update on XR6. first tank he reckoned he had less economy. i asked if he used it the same which he admitted he didn't. he's on the second tank of 98 now. find out next week i guess.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ask him if car feels any different.
cheers

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
well apparently he has used 4 tanks of 98 and has gone back to the E10 now. he said he did get a better/quicker punch in speed with the 98 but consistently had worse economy than the E10 (even when driving the same). go figure

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
ah well, in the immortal words of the Notting Hillbillies,

"It doesn't matter what I say, what I do or what I think - you can lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink."

In all seriousness though, whatever works for him!  :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Snowcherry MRHI30 got it right.
i have not used E10 but some brands of E10 have higher octain rateing than normal standard fuel. but hard to see how 10% ethanole that normaly runs at 9afr and 90% normal that runs at about 13afr can get better economy, but there you go.
with my V8 ute iu was averaging 60,000k's per year, i used both standard and 98, the motor ran much nicer on 98, but i got cheap at one stage and just ran on standard for a while, and as i was doing a lot of k's and a lot of them in sydney CBD with idleing a lot, the standard fuel carboned up and a sensor that sets idle speed got carboned up so much the motor would not idle would cut out, dealer fixed it by cleaning sensor, then i just ran on 98 only and did a lot of k's never happened again, then after 170,000k i changed the spark plugs, they use a plug in the three valve V8 like no other i have seen, it is very long it goes into the chamber a long way, a lot of people had posted online they had problems, well i removed the plugs useing a few old trick's, and found no carbon on the plugs, i put anti sieze lubricant on the new plugs threads got them back in and it's now done 220,000k rining sweet, i saw a guy tell people online not to let this motor go further than 80,000k before changing plugs as the plug carbon up and when you remove it it strips the thread out of the heads, he showed a pic of a well carboned up plug, but mine had done 170,000 on 98 no carbon. this guy took his to dealer and they stripped his threads out and had to lift one of his heads to have threads repaired. i personaly think they striped the thread because threads were not lubed from factory and were stick to the alloy. but looking at his plugs with 90,0000 and looking at mine with 170,000 mine were much cleaner. so what you can't see matters, thats if you are planing on keeping the car a long time, 98 looks after your motor and will probably keep injectors and sensors clean. not sure about the E10 but the standard fuel burns dirty.
cheers

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
^thanks for that
i'm surprised he tried it all on my suggestion, i think for him to try the 98 again he would probably need to be shown stuff by his mechanic etc. problem really is that he's lost interest in his car now, it got damaged and the repairer stuffed it up somewhat and its piling on the k's as he has to travel a lot, and now he just doesn't care anymore and says he'll just use it as his workhorse. shame as i know he was very chuffed with it originally :(

i am inclined from evreything i've read to use 98 in the new car when i get one  :)

chanraymond
Just refuelled with 461kms and the fuel light was on. Managed to get 43L before it clicked, so I'd have about 10 more litres, so I should be able to run around 100km more. That's an average of 10.58/L (mine's an SX, no trip computer) on BP's Ultimate. Hmm..

I filled it up with 91 Unleaded from Caltex this time round. And maybe I'll try to drive "like a granny" for this tank and see how much I can squeeze out of it  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's an average of 10.58/L (mine's an SX, no trip computer) on BP's Ultimate. Hmm..

You should get better than that when she is run in.. I would have thought under 9.0 for combined city & highway for a manual 2.0ltr
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just refuelled with 461kms and the fuel light was on. Managed to get 43L before it clicked, so I'd have about 10 more litres, so I should be able to run around 100km more. That's an average of 10.58/L (mine's an SX, no trip computer) on BP's Ultimate. Hmm..

I filled it up with 91 Unleaded from Caltex this time round. And maybe I'll try to drive "like a granny" for this tank and see how much I can squeeze out of it  :D

I can push nearly 750km from my petrol. How many kms have you done all up now? I'm at 18,500km and fuel consumption keeps on dropping!

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Also, the "Distance til Empty" gauge is always off by a good 100km. But yours is an SX hey? You don't have it... Which isn't a bad thing, I rarely use the thing. I think it's funny that when I fill up, it says about 600km til empty. Then at the end of the week, I have done almost 700km, and it says 100km til empty :D

Awesome accuracy!!  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I only take notice once the light comes on then switch to the DTE read out until I refill ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm averaging 10.3 L/100km.  :)

I've been using Caltex Vortex 98.
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I cheated. I reset my log, thinking that it'd do what it did last time and show me 154L/100km. But it went the other direction!

It actually started at 0.3L/100km!! But missed the photo :(

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
i have to go back through this thread and i have to read the part in my manual about setting the trip meter etc........but just in case i forget later

in one week my economy has gone from 11.4? (11.something) to 9.4
and i've used half a tank on 270 k's (petrol auto)

and she's done now 300 k's total!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you will see a massive improvement once you've done more k,s :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
aye i certainly hope so! i'd be a little sad if i didn't even get 600k's per tank. if i could get 650-700 on average that would be nice. 800 would be awesome  :D

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
800k's on a tank/ pffft EASY, wouldn't even use fourth or fifth gears...   oh, oops, sorry, wrong thread !!!!

(couldn't help myself :) )
* Blue waits for the flames !

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
800k's on a tank/ pffft EASY, wouldn't even use fourth or fifth gears...   oh, oops, sorry, wrong thread !!!!

(couldn't help myself :) )
* Blue waits for the flames !

hah!
well i'd give you my icy shoulder except the heatwave started to melt it and the dust storm blew the rest of it away

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
in one week my economy has gone from 11.4? (11.something) to 9.4
and i've used half a tank on 270 k's (petrol auto)

economy 8.3
half tank 280k's

mmmmm that seems like a crappy improvement somehow  :neutral:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it will get better,trust me.i got 600 kms from 3/4s of a tank last week and I'm not a Granny driver. :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
That's not bad Snowcherry, I'm on 9.8.. I wish I was a granny driver.  :lol:

• 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
i'm finding i am being a bit of a granny at the moment. a teeny bit for the economy but also just worried about traffic and getting chips etc, and getting used to the car. but certainly part of me is worried once i start to let it out a bit i'll start to lose ground with the economy. so i'll just have to trust you it will it improve  :lol:

thanks guys  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal