i30 Owners Club

Another Aussie

mcmonte · 62 · 11351

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
Sorry to disappoint Fatboy, but I'm north of Campbell Town and...Ross also.

My current daily isn't one I trust 100%  :fingers: so don't venture onto highways with it much. But I will drive it to the airport next week. So I'll be heading south!

But from there, north to Sydney.

As luck would have it, I saw exactly the same car my sister bought this evening. Well, it was a white SX (steelies) but maybe the tranny differed. I only drove past it at the shops. But then, parked about six cars along was another FD, this time a red one! I didn't see a reversing camera under the rear badge. But I believe it had factory alloys, so probably an SLX?
  • Honda

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So you're at the good end of the State then... :happydance:

The FD didn't come with a standard reversing camera and in the GD it only comes out when you select reverse as far as I am aware..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Yeah I've since realised it was a GD that I saw on Carsales last weekend. All the FD cameras I've seen replace the rear number plate light.
But most appear to be rubbish! Quite low-res, and "night-vision" range of 0-3 metres. That's a bit vague :confused:

That marginal rear vision was her only real criticism of the car. Given time, she may want a plusher ride too. Mainly for bubs I'd say, as she's accustomed to smaller cars with poor damping rates.
Oh, and the modded cars I've had over the years  :D
  • Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

We're from the mainland originally, and we love it here. To be honest, Launny was our second choice. At the time, we couldn't afford properties within 10km of Hobart CBD. It needed to be close, Mrs doesn't drive.
Madam has a driver  :honk:
  • Honda

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm originally from the mainland too (born in Melbourne, but raised all over the mainland - Army brat).  I fell in love with Tassie the first time I came for a visit way back in 1993.  We have lived in Tassie twice, once from 2002 - 2006, and then again from 2012.

Personally I would be happy to live anywhere in Tassie, but the wife is from the Huon Valley, so it made sense to move closer to family (but not too close).

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

lol I'm sorta the opposite FatBoy...

Born in Sydney. Lived in WA 92-95 then 02-07. Drove the Honda to Tassie (Spirit) November 07.
  • Honda

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We're from the mainland originally, and we love it here. To be honest, Launny was our second choice. At the time, we couldn't afford properties within 10km of Hobart CBD. It needed to be close, Mrs doesn't drive.

I was Born and bred in Launceston but ended up on the North West Coast about 30 years ago due to a transfer in my Job (was a Banker for the first 20 years of my working life) - Don't anybody try changing that!

Lived at Wynyard and Ulverstone  before settling in Devonport around 1990. Nice and central and doesn't get as cold as Launceston (or as hot as Hobart)
Apart from the cold starts I still like Lonny though...

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I was Born and bred in Launceston but ended up on the North West Coast about 30 years ago due to a transfer in my Job (was a Banker for the first 20 years of my working life) - Don't anybody try changing that!

Lived at Wynyard and Ulverstone  before settling in Devonport around 1990. Nice and central and doesn't get as cold as Launceston (or as hot as Hobart)

Hobart isn't hot, Dazz!!  Karratha is hot (40 degrees when I was there last week).  Likewise, Launceston isn't cold, Canada is cold!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Dazz is retired now, he feels the heat and cold.  :coolingoff: :cold:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hobart isn't hot, Dazz!!  Karratha is hot (40 degrees when I was there last week).  Likewise, Launceston isn't cold, Canada is cold!!

Lonny gets a about 5 degrees colder than Devonport quite often in winter and Hobart sees high 30's a lot more often than we do.. (but I get your point)  :goodjob:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I was just having a dig, Dazz.   :good job:

The "Canada is cold" is my response to my father when he tells me that Tassie is a cold place.

BTW, the hottest temperature I have experienced was 53 degrees C in the Middle East way back in 2010.  The coldest, a mere -8 degrees C (in Canberra).  I have a friend that worked in Winnipeg in Canada, he told me of a time when they celebrated as the temperature got above -30 degrees C!!

You will find that Devonport doesn't experience the extremes of temperature as it is close to the ocean (and a moderately warm ocean too).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I was Born and bred in Launceston

That explains an awful lot.    :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

This weekend, an approved installer will be fitting the baby seat.

Like Dave said great first post but this statement puzzled me,didn't know there was such a thing,all approved fastening points are already in the FD,if she has an approved seat they just fix in easily.

• 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

This weekend, an approved installer will be fitting the baby seat.

Like Dave said great first post but this statement puzzled me,didn't know there was such a thing,all approved fastening points are already in the FD,if she has an approved seat they just fix in easily.

They are easy to put in, if you know what you are doing.  I've seen many child seats installed incorrectly (including by my parents for their grandchildren) which makes the seat almost useless for protecting the child.  They've either been too loose (excessive movement of the seat), not secured to the anchor point ("I thought they just sat in the seat belt"), actual belts in the seat in the incorrect position or not used correctly. 

If the seatbelt is worn too loose, then the child can suffer a condition called "dynamic overshoot" in an accident, which can be almost as bad as no seatbelt at all.  Dynamic overshoot is where after the car suddenly stops, the child keeps moving for a bit until the seatbelt suddenly grabs the child to restrain them.  It is like whacking them with a steel bar across the shoulders and stomach.

When we had our kids, we were told by the hospital that we were not allowed to take the boys home until the car seat had been checked by approved installers.  This was a free service by the local NRMA for everybody.

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Yeah I've seen the anchor points in cars too. Perhaps they're being over-cautious (new parents) or maybe there's different regs in NSW.
Dunno?

I learned long ago there's little point butting in. If they're willing to pay some guy? Fine by me!
  • Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Lonny gets a about 5 degrees colder than Devonport quite often in winter and Hobart sees high 30's a lot more often than we do.. (but I get your point)  :goodjob:

Things be grim in t'North.
Time to upgrade the home security.
  • Honda

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah I've seen the anchor points in cars too. Perhaps they're being over-cautious (new parents) or maybe there's different regs in NSW.
Dunno?

I learned long ago there's little point butting in. If they're willing to pay some guy? Fine by me!
I think the regs are Australia wide.
I learned a little while back that what Fatboy said is correct.
Picked up my son and his family at the airport. He brought their kids seats with them (which is technically illegal, incidentally) and while I knew where the pick up points were, and have more mechanical knowledge than many, I'm glad I didn't have to learn how to install them in an airpor car park.
David did them both in about 3 minutes.

Just on the legal thing, FYI, if the seats don't have an Australian Standards sticker they AREN'T legal in Oz. These were Canadian so from a safety point of view, obviously no problem, but apparently them's the rules.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Things be grim in t'North.
Time to upgrade the home security.

Bit of a media Beat up.. Been in Smithton twice in 2 weeks and stayed overnight in Stanley.. Didn't see anyone dodgy (all fairly normal, by Tassie standards..)  :lol:

It is a concern but I don't think Tassie is any worse (or probably not as bad) as many parts of the mainland... :sweating:

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

So anyway, hello again!
Sister, hubby and bubs still enjoying their 2011 i30 has been slowly eating at me the last few months.

Problem: our daily runabout of the last two years has been a little belter, however it's a grumpy thing on cold winter mornings. It's a carby-fed Lancer you see. Mind you, it was ridiculously cheap and that was the imperative at the time. The plan was to rebuild (or get another motor and rebuild) our beloved CRX back to tip-top shape so we didn't want to over-capitalise on a temporary car.

But the time has come, I have decided, to get something that's at least fuel injected, a little newer and runs a little more consistently. My short-list includes a Hyundai but it's not an i30. There's a chance I may purchase this thing very soon!
Should I do so, I will post here.
  • Honda

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to see you are still lurking... Be interested to see what you end up with. I'm only 100kms away (and retired) if you need a second opinion (I am pretty good at sussing out cars)  :winker:

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Good to see you are still lurking...
Yes indeed!

Be interested to see what you end up with.
Well, this be it:

I'm only 100kms away (and retired) if you need a second opinion (I am pretty good at sussing out cars)  :winker:
You know, I wish I'd checked back after posting. However, this car was up your way (Miandetta) and the owner drove it down for me to consider. I put her on the Redline for the return trip though.

So had you been present, you could have told me what the hell's the purpose of this thing?!

She claimed her dog put it there  :mrgreen:

Serious now...
It's a 2002 Elantra GL 1.8 manual with 211500km. It drove well, and almost everything works. The car was cheap at 800 bucks, and we need to spend nearly as much again in new parts and labour.

The girl I bought it from would transport her dog(s) in it, so I spent a day trying to vacuum it. She's also a rollie-smoker, and I found enough shag all through the car to roll one of my own  :P

She also didn't keep much service history, and I suspect it's waaay overdue for a timing belt/water pump. Said kit has been ordered, as have the three accessory belts. I will also be doing a minor service myself and the air/oil filters and platinum plugs are on their way. Although the engine's done some work, I'll be giving it 15/40 oil as winter is coming, and it's all I have in my garage that's suitable. I may also have a full 20/50 but suspect that's too viscous for this engine.

In the meantime, I'll be prepping Bluey for sale but still driving it most days, at least until the services are done on the Hyo. Which I've imaginatively named "Blacky".
Alternate naming suggestions on a postcard, please.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:50:09 by mcmonte »
  • Honda

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had a 2002 elantra in 2007 for about 4 months. Drove well, but lots of niggly problems.. 

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Alternate naming suggestions ...........

Money Pit  :snigger:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Alternate naming suggestions ...........

Money Pit  :snigger:
Aww geez thanks Dave!
Here I was, thinking they were a basically sound motor car. Most Productreview.com.au opinions are positive.
But yeah, she neglected it alright.

It's also the grubbiest thing I've ever embarked a cleaning campaign on. It's going to be a multi-stage process, and I made a start on the interior today. The boot is all carpeted, and had much dog hair and pine bark within. Under the spare wheel cover, there was more bark and a yellowish layer of dirt. Same dirt on the insides of the doors and also a layer under the bonnet.
She was originally from Perth (Midlands) so it's probably from there.

It also has the annoying central locking actuator that triggers almost continually. Might just pull the fuse for that.
  • Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

And Dave, may I add that this car was a smidge over 400 GBP, so one must expect a little spending on it  :Prayer:

Another common quirk of these cars? If you dare apply full steering lock in either direction, you'll be rewarded with a delightful belt squeal. Other owners swear the fix is to reduce play at the alternator pulley. So for the alt belt, I spent a few bucks more for a Gates racing version of the 4PK875. They claim it can handle 3x the stress of a regular one.
Hopefully it won't slip :Prayer:

The timing belt kit (incl water pump) is also Gates. The PS and AC belts on order are Dayco, and should be fine. :Prayer:

For an atheist, I'm doing a lot of praying!
  • Honda

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Once you get it sorted you'll have a great reliable car.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
You're welcome  :happydance:

Just yankin' your chain. Even at that price there's something to make of it for minimal outlay. Put a few hours and a bit of cash into it and it'll be alright (until it's not  :snigger:)

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

I'm just very surprised (and delighted) at the solidity of the thing. The doors have a reassuring clunk. They're double weather-sealed too.
The steering lacks feel, but I'm comparing it to a manual rack in the Lancer.

Three of the tyres fitted are 195/60-15 and one is 185/65-15. I checked the spare, and sure enough it's a match for the other three. But it had a puncture repair plug in it, so one of the previous owners spared it.

I have some 15" mags laying around but I was supposed to refurbish them years ago. Might get around to that in the next year or so.
So for now I've photoshopped them onto a similar car:

I know bigger would look better, but I'd like to make use of these soon.
  • Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Once you get it sorted you'll have a great reliable car.
:thanx:

:Prayer:
 :Good_luck:
  • Honda

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal