Handbrake Failure - I30 Turbo

Jones.S · 46 · 12599

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow!  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Jones.S
Agreed to Replace the car as a "Good Will Gesture"

And Pay for any damages to neighbours House

Wow really? :eek:

(PS, what happened to your imgur album?)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Quick Update: 

Managed to get a meeting with one of the directors, really nice guy, advised that although he can't say there is a fault with the car, he can see why there could be difficulty getting the handbrake into the correct position, and will speak to HMUK Regarding this.

I must say, i'm impressed

Wow!
That is amazing.
That is great customer service.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Jones.S

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire
Quote from: Jones.S

Wow really? :eek:

(PS, what happened to your imgur album?)

Tell me about it

Changed it over to this

>> :link: Car - Album on Imgur <<

• I30 Turbo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd be buying a lotto ticket! "Sue us" to "replacement car and pay damages!"  :Shocked: :phone1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Ignoring all the discussion on parking cars on incline/declines - which seems to have heaps of good advice - and whether something more could have been done to prevent it.

I think, if as the topic author posted, he had pulled the handbrake 3/4 of the way up (assuming estimate of maximum range of handbrake; as opposed to 3/4 clicks up) on light incline... something wasn't quite right.  Even allowing for cable stretch (which is going to happen as the vehicle is beds in) - I would have thought the park-brakes would have been tight on by then.   I am assuming the GDs, even the latest ones, still have the drum-brake as park-brake setup.

I noticed there seems to be some slack (roll back/forward) in my park-brakes on my FD - but haven't been overly worried about it... being it is an auto and you have to put it into 'P' in order to remove the key anyway.

But still well done, and lucky, on getting replacement car, etc..
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't know anyone who DOESN'T leave their car parked in gear with the handbrake on.
To me it's common sense.
And the old argument about protecting the gearbox by leaving it in neutral don't hold water in my opinion because if the handbrake moves enough to put pressure on the box then that proves it SHOULD be in gear to prevent exactly the situation faced by the o.p.

Wouldn't be too worried about stressing the gearbox, after all the car would only move a few cms before the stresses were applied and then they would be static. These stresses, are negligible compared to what the gearbox is asked to do when driving or climbing up hills etc.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
Exactly.  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Now, on the topic of FD handbrake slack, this is quite noticeable. It seems to roll minutely against what feels like the gear no matter how tightly I apply it. Both my HQ Kingswood and VH Commodore grabbed the drum tightly with no roll against gears ( I won't include the Fuego in the comparison - it mostly didn't have the juice to engage the handbrake at all  :rolleyes: ).

Perhaps the slack is between the caliper and body? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I can't remember, but the Holden's applied directly to the rear brake shoes, I don't think that is the design of the Hyundai.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If you hold the clutch in after applying the handbrake it still does that little movement and stops so I don't think it's actually coming up onto the gears.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That is a well known Hyundai/Kia feature, if you look at where the calipers are sited they are not at 90 degrees to the wheel, sitting slightly higher more towards 10 o' clock, think we have had discussion about it before, the effect appears to be that when applied a slight roll occurs before it grabs (don't know why, surely a circle is a circle??)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I can't remember, but the Holden's applied directly to the rear brake shoes, I don't think that is the design of the Hyundai.

FD is drum in hat type and GD is caliper handbrake.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks cruiserfied for that.

Last night, on a friends inclined driveway (much more than mine at least), I decided to test (in neutral engine running) how much 'travel' I would get with the hand-brake pulled on firmly in my FD.

It was only a very small amount - I was a little surprised actually... as I seem to recall having experienced more movement sometime ago in a similar situation (but I might just be mis-remembering).   Anyway just thought I would report that.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Thanks cruiserfied for that.

Last night, on a friends inclined driveway (much more than mine at least), I decided to test (in neutral engine running) how much 'travel' I would get with the hand-brake pulled on firmly in my FD.

It was only a very small amount - I was a little surprised actually... as I seem to recall having experienced more movement sometime ago in a similar situation (but I might just be mis-remembering).   Anyway just thought I would report that.

My driveway is on a slope and once the brake is actually applied firmly in my FD it doesn't move much at all.

I found out early on that having to re-apply the handbrake when taking my foot off the footbrake was due to the 'hat-type' handbrake.

None of this applies to the turbo model, which I assume has the calliper type handbrake. :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal