i30 Owners Club

Newbie with Hail Damaged i30

Rocket · 37 · 14494

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
 Hi and welcome Rocket,

What a skillful man you are I bet you're not short of friends  :)

Yeah when we have a hail storm over here we like it to be a BIG one :razz: so we are able to make the eastern states news.

:)

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
 Hi Rocket,

Just out of interest ... If Joe Blow had purchase your hail damaged i30 and came to your business for a quote to fix it up to the high standard that you are obviously doing without new wheels ..... How much would the quote be ? just roughly not an exact figure.

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers  :)

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

G`day SRT Metro and Ozbrum, thanks for the welcome.

Ozbrum, We do not normally do outside work, but i will attempt some figures for you.

It normally takes Andy ( our panel/paint man ) one full week to repair the average hail damaged car. So in terms of our cost - allow one weeks labour, plus about $275 per car in materials, plus $250 rent and outgoings on the premises and the total cost to ourselves would be around $1,725 per car. Of couse if it was for somebody else there needs to be some profit. Probably a grand, therefore to do it for somebody outside it would cost a minimum of $2,750 - $3,000. Any panels, glass etc that needed replacing would be extra. We replace the bonnets on our cars instead of trying to repair them. Cheap way to get a respray really, and with decent quality paint as well.

I spent 3 months in Perth a few years back. Girl i worked with suggested that Perth is not isolated from the rest of Australia - It is insulated from it. Smart girl!!

Rocket.

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
 Good on you Rocket  :)

Much appreciate your reply and the breakdown of your cost figures to repair the hail damaged i30 and really someone would have a really good car for about $13,500.00 ? but then the average person in the street would have no idea at the auction of what it would cost to repair such a vehicle and I would think your charges are extremely reasonable from what I've heard panel repair shops charges are here.

Yes we like to think we are special people here in WA and one day we may be able to agree with each other about extended shop trading hours and shopping on a Sunday .... most people that come to visit us here from the eastern states think we're closed But we accept that WA stands for Wait Awhile  :-[.

Cheers  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure that when pip had his car damaged by hail they fixed it paint free,yours must have been very bad. most of the hail damaged cars in Victoria that were really bad were not allowed back on the road as they were deemed structurally unsound because the roof was so badly dented.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Ozbrum, Your numbers are bang on the money.

Just worked out our actual costs on the i30 and including registration it owes exactly $13,828.

We never bought this car intending to make a profit. It was a replacement for the 2006 Elantra Hatch that i had been doing up for personal use. My sister in law fell in love with that car and made a good offer for it. Bugger! I did like the car.

We had intended to pay around 8-9k for the i30. My son did the online bidding for it, and he hit the bid button at $8,000. Seemed like 10 other bidders hit the button at the same time and when the smoke cleared our bid came up on the screen last at 10k( including auction fees ), and we were the final bid.

Had a look on carsales a couple of weeks ago and saw similar cars being sold by dealers in Perth for $14-15k. Those cars still had the hail damage!

IMO Perth is a fantastic place. Much bigger than i had imagined and very spread out. I sold Garages over there and had to work every Saturday and Sunday, so did not see as much as i would have liked. Pubs are different over there - no pokies. Probably a good thing. Who needs Sunday trading at the shops? Better to have a Sunday BBQ with the family.

Rocket.

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I'm sure that when pip had his car damaged by hail they fixed it paint free,yours must have been very bad. most of the hail damaged cars in Victoria that were really bad were not allowed back on the road as they were deemed structurally unsound because the roof was so badly dented.

Hi 2i30s, In Melbourne and in Perth - there were 2 Auctions for hail damaged cars each week from February through till about August. Each Auction sold about 500 cars. These cars were listed as "Repairable Writeoffs", and as such were allowed to be repaired and re registered.

In Victoria, due to the many cars being repaired - Vicroads allowed the cars to be re registered upon obtaining a roadworthy certificate, as long as an appointment had been made for a VIV inspection ( identity check ) before the end of this year. In South Australia, the cars had to have 2 seperate inspections. First a comprehensive Identity inspection called a Tier3, followed by a thorough Roadworthy inspection over the pits at the Motor registration office. They even use a paint thickness gauge on all cars to ensure they are not full of bog.
There are thousands of hail damaged cars repaired and back on the road.

Rocket.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal