i30 Owners Club

Headlamp Bulb Upgrade - 10-Step Photo Guide...

i30manUK · 93 · 79874

Offline Skiffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I've upgraded my H7 bulbs easily enough, could unclip the H1s no problem either. But the sidelight wouldn't pull out, felt like it was welded in there! Is there a clip I am missing - black plastic unit the bulb sits in appeared to have a couple of notches....

Bump!

I had to replace the low beam yesterday (some swearing ensued, given the manual didn't specify what type of bulbs, just wattage).

I bought Narva Arctic Blue from Supercheap, and as they come with some blue tinted park (position) T10 wedge bulbs, I was going to change them, but had the similar problem as Rochdale Pioneers... really difficult to pull out, so I gave up (given I'd faffed about in the carpark outside SCA for ages, and needed to get back to work!  :whistler:)

What's the trick with these holders??
  • 2011 SX Auto, Vivid Blue - bog standard!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd remove the complete headlight unit to give you better access, this only takes a few minutes.....

Offline Skiffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Got that - it's removing the holder for the T10 that's the issue.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I just ripped my headlight out to check and the parking light holder just pulls out...hardly any effort required at all on my 2010 FD...  :undecided:  :whistler:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:36:42 by rustynutz »

Offline Skiffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Huh!   :head_butt:

At least from the photo I now can see what I'm up against.

I just ripped my headlight out to check ...

as you do!   :thanks:  :hatoff:

edit: where did you buy your LEDs from?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Glad I could be of some help, Skiffie!  :D

I got my LEDs from :link:

I also posted a thread at the time of fitment.... https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15577.msg170776#msg170776

Offline Skiffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
and....... bought!  :P

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"ns"
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
"ns"

Very good! 8 out of 10.. the button doesn't work (I tried it)  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: So did I  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's not so much the finances, more like death by wife.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
The whole process of changing the H7 low beam and T10 park lights takes less than 30 min each side.

To take out the front park bulb (t10) just use thin pliers and pull the base out, you can also do it by hand they should come out quite easily.
I replaced them with blue LED T10 W5W and they look like this: (if they do not light up reverse them as they have polarity - make sure to do that BEFORE you put the light frame back on):

I got them from ebay :link: 2 X Blue T10 LED Light Bulbs W5W 194 168 501 Dash Park Interior Number Plate | eBay

and the H7 bulbs are so expensive in Australia in retails stores, even the Narva's from supercheapauto are close to $50 dollars. I got these from ebay: :link: Hyundai I30 Grandeur Sonata Terracan H7 12V 55W Globes Xenon Headlight Bulbs | eBay

Here is the end result:
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice, but is the blue legal and how does the brightness and throw compare with the originals? I Like bright white light... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just put a set of Narva's in Lila, 30 mins per side, too. $35.00 @ Sprint Auto Parts, Adelaide 25% off apparantly.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
The H7 seems legal - It has a slight blue tint to it but not different from any other cars that I have seen on the roads. I certainly haven't been pulled over yet
if I do I will let you know. :razz: As for the brightness I would say it is about the same. The H7 bulbs I bought are not brighter than the originals however
they are not darker either. The blue/white tint is easier on the eyes to me personally.

As for the LED park lights I believe any colour should be okay? You can get them in any colour you like including white. The W5W T10 bulb I bought comes with
5 LEDs however I have seen the brighter ones with 9 LEDs on ebay.

REGARDS
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Those low beams look a definite blue colour and would in fact be illegal.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
 I have fitted XTec 27 watt 881 fog lamp bulbs to my i30 and rewired as DRLs.  The light is extrememly white and looks almost HID.

I am now ordering some H7s for the dipped beam to see (!) how they look.

<snipped>

Seems OZ prices are a bit steeper than the UK even for Japanese bulbs.

BTW the 881 DRLs are on all the time during daylight and one failed after thirty months use the other is still going..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have fitted XTec 27 watt 881 fog lamp bulbs to my i30 and rewired as DRLs.  The light is extrememly white and looks almost HID.

I am now ordering some H7s for the dipped beam to see (!) how they look.

Seems OZ prices are a bit steeper than the UK even for Japanese bulbs.

BTW the 881 DRLs are on all the time during daylight and one failed after thirty months use the other is still going..
Aren't the DRL's supposed to be LED's :confused: Fog's are not supposed to be used as DRL's due to energy use and heat output.

Just to let you know the store link you attached also leads to a Phishing attempt from justuno.com ( rated as dangerous ) :eek:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 15:29:46 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
Just to let you know the store link you attached also leads to a Phishing attempt from justuno.com ( rated as dangerous ) :eek:

Confirmed that there is suspicious stuff on that store link. Thanks for the report.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's not a link problem but the website you are pointing it to is hosting malicious content from justuno.com please remove the link and stop posting it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It's not a link problem but the website you are pointing it to is hosting malicious content from justuno.com please remove the link and stop posting it.
Deleted post until i've looked into it further.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That explains why the post with the link removed I was saving had suddenly disappeared. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Deleted post until i've looked into it further.
Thankyou, here is a pic of what is part of the hidden content on that website.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
That explains why the post with the link removed I was saving had suddenly disappeared. :lol:

I don't know what is going on.  I can load that link and the website direct without any warnings.

If you want to follow up try

www (dot) hids-direct (dot) co (dot) uk and search H7 xexon bulbs or 881 bulbs if you want fog lamp bulbs..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Problem is, there's a covert script in a frame on that page. When using firefox I can right-click the page to view the source, and it hangs up my system.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I don't know what is going on.  I can load that link and the website direct without any warnings.

Yes of course you can but unless you are running the correct type of software to detect these anomalies you would never know, this is how most people end up with infected systems now days from Drive by attacks and phishing links, I don't recommend for you to keep returning to that website due to the malicious scripts contained on that website.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

If you want to follow up try

www (dot) hids-direct (dot) co (dot) uk and search H7 xexon bulbs or 881 bulbs if you want fog lamp bulbs..
My post refers to Craig deleting the post when I was in the process of editing out the link. We were both moderating at the same time. ;)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Yes of course you can but unless you are running the correct type of software to detect these anomalies you would never know, this is how most people end up with infected systems now days from Drive by attacks and phishing links, I don't recommend for you to keep returning to that website due to the malicious scripts contained on that website.

So what "correct type" software do I need?  Running three  full scans of different malware and anti-virus finds nothing

Having used the linked site again last night, both directly and via a 'tinyurl'  link as I originally posted, and repeated it today,  right clicking the page as Shambles has done shows nothing out of the ordinary.

Going directly to the website of the' infection' (justuno) it appears to be a perfectly legitimate company.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal