i30 Owners Club

Quiet tyres for i30

Lester · 124 · 60111

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Anyone tried the Yokohama BluEarth AE-01 tyres yet?

My OEM Hankooks are at 32,000klm and just about ready for retirement to the excessively noisy tyre graveyard.
I'm obviously looking for a quieter tyre with reasonable tyre life, and our local tyre guy recommends the Yokohamas. It would be great to hear from someone actually using these tyres on the 'older' model i30.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Yokohama Tyres every time! excellent tyres that last

I have DB decibal Tyres from Yokohama on my Elantra and have put 100,000km on them and they are still in good nic. - These were pricy but worth every cent! I think I paid 800 for 195/15/60

The i30 has Yokohama C-Drive 2 which seem to be holding up just as well and are pretty quite with plenty of grip were around 650 for 205/16/55
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline the everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I reckon my four Michelins are pretty quiet - a hell of a lot quieter than the Hero Atlanta's that the i30 came with when I bought it used.
That said, the Centenary Highway approaching Springfield lakes makes the car sound like it's driving on bare rims!! What a horrible road surface that is.
  • FD i30 SX 5-Speed

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Ha! We are 'neighbours' Everyman! I drive the "Centenary Highway approaching Springfield lakes" area as well. That will be a true test of new tyres.

Hmm. Nobody got the Yokohama BluEarth AE-01 tyres so they can supply a review/opinion?
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline the everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Nice to meet you.   :cool: I don't live there.  My brother lives in Springfield Lakes.
  • FD i30 SX 5-Speed

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Is it not true  that tyres with the same designation may vary in tread compound according to the market intended?  Even within Europe there are variations for the northern and southern regions.  Comparing Australian market tyres with the European equivalent may give misleading results.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe so. Same brand tyres made in different continents, are not necessarily the same standard of tyre.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I reckon my four Michelins are pretty quiet - a hell of a lot quieter than the Hero Atlanta's that the i30 came with when I bought it used.
That said, the Centenary Highway approaching Springfield lakes makes the car sound like it's driving on bare rims!! What a horrible road surface that is.

Are your Michelins, the Primacy LC?  :p
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Well... I have had a set of the Yokohama BluEarth AE-01 tyres for around two weeks and dislike them. A lot.

They are as noisy (and sometimes noisier!) as the original Hankooks! From all the reports I have read, ANY tyre should be quieter than the standard tyres. Weird.

The BluEarths seem super-sensitive to changing road surfaces whereby the Hankooks were constantly loud. The BluEarths were horrid on the M1 to the Gold Coast (a notoriously noisy concrete surface in large patches) and developed a weird harmonic hum on top of the tyre noise. Around town you could close your eyes (not recommended...) and know exactly what surface you are driving on. They also sent a larger noise over bumps. I was running the recommended 36psi.

From all the specs - and with the original tyres notoriety for noise - the BlueEarths should have been quieter. Other than that deal-breaker, they certainly handle very, very well.

Anyway, our local Bob Jane dealership agreed to take them back next week and swap for a set of C-Drives, which I think is more than fair. I feel bad having to return the tyres, and the Yokohama rep is perplexed, so I am very keen and curious to see if anyone else has the same comments on a tyre specifically recommended for the i30.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Bitsumishi, interesting info (not good)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Taking the wife's car with its new Toyos for a drive on the M1 tomorrow.

I am interested to see how they go.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hi everyone,

I would like to add another tyre to see if anyone has any experience with them. I'm thinking of getting Bridgestone "Serenity Plus" tyres for my Elite ie 205/55/R16. Supposed to be excellent for noise and smooth ride with relatively good mileage.  Got a quote for $400 for 4 tyres, fitted and balanced.  Getting quite sick of the OEM tyres on Sydney roads. 

I'm thinking of sticking with Bridgestone, as a few years ago, I bought some GR90s (predecessors to Serenity) for another car and loved them for smoothness and noise suppression.

Has anyone used these?

Also, what do I do with existing tyres which still look like new after 28k

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could try and sell the tyres on Gumtree or similar but I wouldn't expect to get much for them, 28k is probably half their life used so maybe ask for $20 each :undecided:

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
I have just had a set of Federal FD02's fitted and they are very quiet, drove in the wet the other night and they felt good. So far I would recommend them  :goodjob:
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have just had a set of Federal FD02's fitted and they are very quiet, drove in the wet the other night and they felt good. So far I would recommend them  :goodjob:

Thanks for that, but I have never heard of that brand. Were they well priced?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Federals have been around for years.
They seem OK.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

:link: Federal Formoza FD2 | Comfort & Performance | Luxury Passenger Car Tyre

$480 fitted

They actually have silence written on the sidewall  :mrgreen:
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Can anyone advise how the Continental Comfort C5's would compare?  A JAX tyres franchise is quoting $375 fitted for 4 tyres in 205/55/R16?

Does anyone know how these compare to Michelin Primacy 3 ST or Yokohama ADVAN dbV551? 

Really confused!!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can anyone advise how the Continental Comfort C5's would compare?  A JAX tyres franchise is quoting $375 fitted for 4 tyres in 205/55/R16?

Does anyone know how these compare to Michelin Primacy 3 ST or Yokohama ADVAN dbV551? 

Really confused!!
That's a pretty good price. I'd be grabbing them. I guess it's a 443 deal.
But don't waste your money paying extra for nitrogen.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Really confused!!
That's a pretty good price. I'd be grabbing them. I guess it's a 443 deal.
But don't waste your money paying extra for nitrogen.

Sounds good, problem is that I don't need new tyres because the ones I have are fine. What I am really looking for is quiet tyres and didn't know how good they vs (according to Whirpool) the best of the quiet ones: Michelin Primacy 3 ST & Yokohama ADVAN dbV551.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Those Yokies look good, they've got excellent reviews for quietness - stability - low rolling resistance - fuel saving and longevity being a silica tyre and apparently they're 9% lighter than other tyres ( adds to the fuel saving :) ) their not cheap though.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Forgot to update after taking the Wife's car down the M1,

The tyres are quiet on the black stuff, but still have a bit of noise on the concrete, but are quieter.

Wife is happy with them too....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
This is why I am very keen to discover whether Continental have truly made a break through with their new technology which includes adding a layer of special foam inside the tyre.

I would be keen to know as well considering the silent tyres on their site are from the fitting availability on Audi RS cars. Considering these are outrageously powerful I would love to know if they have managed to pull it off.
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There are quite a few tyres listed in the thread, so I'll add some more.

In Australia,

Ruby had 4 new tyres fitted a few days ago and my 1st chance to drive, was today 100km.

They are markedly quieter than the Hankooks, no db meter, unfortunately and very nice feel on the road. We have opted for the 50k guarantee offered with these tyres as I have been very disappointed with tyre performance, so far.

The deal was arranged by Marzipan, I had nothing to do with it.

The tyres are Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 205/55R/16 91H

Hope your sitting down,

Wheel align, disposal tyres etc. $665   :whistler: :faint:

Initial impressions ae that they roll with less resistance and the  l/100 dropped by .1 lt. The last fuel figure wasn't cleared and reset properly (Marzipan), so this is actually more significant than first appears.

We are hoping to recoup the extra cost in fuel consumption reduction over the life of the tyres.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
There are quite a few tyres listed in the thread, so I'll add some more.

In Australia,

Ruby had 4 new tyres fitted a few days ago and my 1st chance to drive, was today 100km.

They are markedly quieter than the Hankooks, no db meter, unfortunately and very nice feel on the road. We have opted for the 50k guarantee offered with these tyres as I have been very disappointed with tyre performance, so far.

The deal was arranged by Marzipan, I had nothing to do with it.

The tyres are Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 205/55R/16 91H

Hope your sitting down,

Wheel align, disposal tyres etc. $665   :whistler: :faint:

Initial impressions ae that they roll with less resistance and the  l/100 dropped by .1 lt. The last fuel figure wasn't cleared and reset properly (Marzipan), so this is actually more significant than first appears.

We are hoping to recoup the extra cost in fuel consumption reduction over the life of the tyres.

Hey Phil, I just had 4 x Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus fitted today. I paid $400 even (fitted and balanced).

Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure that there is a significant improvement in noise. I think the frequency may have changed but that's about it. Coarse chip road surface noise does not seem to improve. However, I did notice an unusual harmonic hum at around 90km/h coming from what seems to be the tyre tread at that speed.  I can't tell whether this sound was always there from the Hankooks and is only noticeable from the "different" quiet from these Turanza's??

The installer recommended 36PSI otherwise the front tyres will not stay "vertical" during hard turns and roundabouts and will wear quicker at 32psi..... is this true??

Interested to know your further comments on these tyres.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
$400, that makes me feel good.  :fum:

I believe we're running 36, too. Compared to the existing tyres, if they stay this quiet, I'll be very happy, but NOT about the price, ever.

Still, it isn't my car so too bad, I guess. :undecided: :blubber:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Pidim, 36psi is a good recommendation. The installer's explanation is pretty much spot on. (In layman's terms).

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just to clarify, your installer is recommending 36 as a minimum. Higher is ok but lower is against what he's warning. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just to clarify, your installer is recommending 36 as a minimum. Higher is ok but lower is against what he's warning. :victory:

Yes, he was not recommending lower than 36psi and even wrote it in the documents for the regular free tyre rotation biz that guarantees 50,000km... kind of implying that lower than 36psi would void the 50k guarantee?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal