i30 Owners Club

Timing Belt due

John B · 11 · 7782

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
As some of you know my grandson has just got his 2007 Elantra with 74.000 ks on the clock picked it up yesterday. It has been serviced  on  the correct ks but not time wise, not too worried about that as it is in immaculate condition and runs well. He loves the car and is very excited with it.

Have just read  the manual and service book and realised that for normal wear the timing belt should be changed at 140.000 ks or 72 months and I can see no evidence of it being changed. We will get the belt changed , it's a lot cheaper than having the engine mangled if it brakes.

Apart from that we did really well and surprisingly enough at no extra cost he has capped servicing at $220 and basic warranty for 3 yrs, and road side assist. but as pointed out before, we don't expect to much with the warranty. I am surprised that there is a fair gap between 72 months and the 140.000 ks I guess having the low ks is good but it is a shame the timing belt was not changed time wise, I think a lot of people do not realise the importance of this.

The same applies to tyres ,just because a tyre looks good does not mean it's ok if it is a few years old  and I guess the same applies to the belt , I did read they were made out of Kevlar that last a long while but if they recommend it should be changed at 72 months there must be a reason.

Oh well maybe the dealer might be able to do it at a good cost, I will approach them in a friendly manner and see what happens. :D
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
John,I will be amazed if the quote from a dealer comes in under $1000,when I was looking into the I30's some time ago,the cheapest quote I could get for a petrol timing belt was $800,get all the correct details,I would suspect the cheapest way would be to obtain the belt yourself and then find a cheaper reliable accredited mechanic to do the job
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's not a big job. Haven't done it myself, but watched a mechanic at one of my places of employment do it relatively quickly.
Any workshop which is Repco accredited will have access to an on-line guide for replacing the belt, along with printable diagrams.
Can't be sure, but IIRC, less than $500 including a belt from Repco.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
John,I will be amazed if the quote from a dealer comes in under $1000,when I was looking into the I30's some time ago,the cheapest quote I could get for a petrol timing belt was $800,get all the correct details,I would suspect the cheapest way would be to obtain the belt yourself and then find a cheaper reliable accredited mechanic to do the job

Thank's Rick,  good advice I will do just that, I knew it would not be cheap maybe that's the reason the naive don't bother to get them changed.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
It's not a big job. Haven't done it myself, but watched a mechanic at one of my places of employment do it relatively quickly.
Any workshop which is Repco accredited will have access to an on-line guide for replacing the belt, along with printable diagrams.
Can't be sure, but IIRC, less than $500 including a belt from Repco.

Thank's Surferdude, done a few in my younger days but for health reasons am unable to manage it now ( dam frustrating ) but if I can get it done for no more than that cost it will be great. Have took my cars to an RACQ approved workshop in the past and I know they do a good job so may give them a call next week.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume the 72 month rule, is because the belt is under constant tension 24/7 and this has an effect on the belt. It is a highly stressed component so keeping it healthy is a wise move.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I assume the 72 month rule, is because the belt is under constant tension 24/7 and this has an effect on the belt. It is a highly stressed component so keeping it healthy is a wise move.

Yes I think your right Phil, being a retired mechanic I have seen the damage caused by a timing belt breaking , it's not pretty . Stupid thing is I have seen cars with 200.000 ks plus still going with the same belt from new and yet one break at 60.000 ks and there are probably ones earlier than that. Not worth taking the gamble .
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Not hard to change a timing belt, but if the drive teeth have wear you have to change them too. some timing belt kits include water pump & new belt drive gear & thats why more expensive . my father got a spare timing belt for one of his Hyundai's that used a belt drive cam. from Gates in USA a lot cheaper, than the hy dealer was asking

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Not hard to change a timing belt, but if the drive teeth have wear you have to change them too. some timing belt kits include water pump & new belt drive gear & thats why more expensive . my father got a spare timing belt for one of his Hyundai's that used a belt drive cam. from Gates in USA a lot cheaper, than the hy dealer was asking

Thank's Lakes ,I think Gates is the way to go , good products too. Was also suggested Beck Arnley I believe they sell genuine Hyundai parts cheaper but don't quote me on that.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal