i30 Owners Club

Winter 2009 meet ??

Poll

Preferences for Winter 2009 meet location

Blue Mountains (details in this thread)
Newcastle (foreshore)
Central Coast (maybe Mangrove Mountain Dam)
Other (please post)
No interest in a meet
Candy

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

• Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Any takers ?

I'm Central Coast based. So Newcastle or Sydney are options I'd like.

Preference is Newcastle foreshore since I reckon it's nicer than Sydney ;-)

I'm headed to Noosa in August if anyone wants to hook up there too.

Reply with preference for location, day of the weekend, even dates if you want to get specific.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I'm up for the Newcastle or Blue Mountains region.

I was trying to get interest in a second Blue Mountains meet not long after the first but there wasn't much interest.

After the #$%& fight of the hyper forum meet in Newie, hopefully this one will go better.........

I'm only available every second weekend at best, due to work commitments etc etc.

Lets see what happens.........

Regards

Daniel

Offline blawler

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I am keen. Either location is good for me. But Sydney is much nicer then newcastle ;-D

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'll be up for it. Seeing I live in south west Sydney, it takes me an hour to get out of the damn place, if heading up north.

I'd love to do a blue mountains run.

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Yeah me too, im up for any thing. Michael im on the coast to, so us two can cruise together to were the rest of you guys wanna meet then continue onward.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hang on - Winter 2009 - I've not had summer yet  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
What no summer yet.... HEHEHE. You better move to some place better. Like Ummmmm AUSTRALIA hehehe.

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

So if I get this right we have:

michael_i30 (Newcastle or somewhere in Sydney)
whitbomb07 (Newcastle or Blue Mountains)
blawler (Newcastle or somewhere in Sydney). But based on response let's make it Newcastle ;-)
Duckman (somewhere in Sydney)
G14Classified101 (no place specified) Since Central Coast based I'll put down for Newcastle ;-)

Would a Central Coast location help sway others ?

Blue Mountains is do-able but damn cold in Winter.  Where is good in the mountains to meet ?

Any other folk want to chime in and name a location or even get specific with some dates (or even no go dates)

Cheers. Michael

BTW. Heading north to Noosa in August. Arriving 7th and leaving 14th.  Stopping 1 night up and down (thinking Graffton) if anyone wants to meet up for a beer etc

bez10y
I could most likely make a meet this time.

Sydney/Newcastle/Central Coast/Blue Mountains are all fine by me.

Maybe a trip to Katoomba for the Winter in July thing they have going on there might be nice. Can check out the three sisters and grab a pub lunch and freeze off our brass monkeys ;)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Maybe a trip to Katoomba for the Winter in July thing they have going on there might be nice. Can check out the three sisters and grab a pub lunch and freeze off our brass monkeys ;)

I'm not sure if there is a 'Winter in July' as such this year Bez10y. On Saturday June 20th the is a 'Winter Magic Festival' which celebrates the Winter Solstice.

If we want to continue the tradition of the 1st Blue Mountains meet we can have another involvement with steam trains. That day steam train 3642 will be running from Central to Katoomba and then onwards to Bell before returning.

However this could also be a day best to avoid as I'm sure the roads will be packed, many delays, lots of slow boring driving etc etc.

I guess the choice will be upto the group. Either way I will be in the Blue Mountains that weekend to chase 3642 (can you tell I'm a bit of a train buff?)

Regards

Daniel

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

If we want to continue the tradition of the 1st Blue Mountains meet we can have another involvement with steam trains. That day steam train 3642 will be running from Central to Katoomba and then onwards to Bell before returning.

<snip>

I guess the choice will be upto the group. Either way I will be in the Blue Mountains that weekend to chase 3642 (can you tell I'm a bit of a train buff?)

Sounds do-able.  I would have thought aviation (based on avitar rather than train buff though).

So not being involved in the previous "train", I mean i30 meet, in the mountains where did it take place and are people good for that date ? ( Saturday June 20th ).  After the last meet that failed I had a packed lunch I ate at home but preference especially when cold at that time of year would be for something hot.  Takeaway close by or a pub / counter lunch ?

Given whitbomb07, G14Classified101, and myself have to go down the F3 and then out to the mountains maybe we could hook up at one of the rest stops on the F3 ?  Twin servos near Tuggerah, Ourimbah, or Hawkesbury and continue from there ?

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Count me in for that. Given everything is going OK work wise, and I don't have to play soccer, I'll be there.

It'll be good to catch up with i30 forum goers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Maybe a trip to Katoomba for the Winter in July thing they have going on there might be nice. Can check out the three sisters  ;)

3 sisters.. are any of them hot... :lol: :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

bez10y

Maybe a trip to Katoomba for the Winter in July thing they have going on there might be nice. Can check out the three sisters  ;)

3 sisters.. are any of them hot... :lol: :rolleyes:

Nah, they're all a bit stony and covered in bush ;)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Sounds do-able.  I would have thought aviation (based on avitar rather than train buff though).

So not being involved in the previous "train", I mean i30 meet, in the mountains where did it take place and are people good for that date ? ( Saturday June 20th ).  After the last meet that failed I had a packed lunch I ate at home but preference especially when cold at that time of year would be for something hot.  Takeaway close by or a pub / counter lunch ?

Given whitbomb07, G14Classified101, and myself have to go down the F3 and then out to the mountains maybe we could hook up at one of the rest stops on the F3 ?  Twin servos near Tuggerah, Ourimbah, or Hawkesbury and continue from there ?

Aviation is just as much an interest  :wink: :P :lol:

I was hoping to have some sort of meet at the Avalon airshow back in March, but unfortunately nothing happened............ :'(

20th June is great for me.

However I'd probably be pre-positioning at my parents place (in the lower Blue Mountains) Thursday (18th) night or Friday (19th) so that would rule me out of the F3 cruise, sorry.

*Takes deep breath* For the last meet we started at Penrith, went north along Castlereagh road, skirted around the edge of Richmond, up through Kurrajong on the Bells line of Road, before stopping at the Zig Zag Railway, took a train ride, then had lunch, at this point initially we were going to go out onto the Great Western Highway and back down to Penrith (with a possible stop in Springwood for 'refreshments') but we went back down Bells line of Road and stopped at the Apple bar cafe. After that we headed back down Castlereagh road before taking a detour onto Springwood rd, taking us back up the mountains to our end point: Hawksbury lookout. The trip happened back in January this year and should still be in the meets section if you would like to reference it for anything.

There's definitely going to be many place along the way to be able to stop for a bite.

Of note wrt the steam train is it's initial run stops at Katoomba, lets people off and does a quick runabout trip up to Bell and return. Tickets for this short runabout trip are $20pp for adults, 15 for pensioners, 10 for children 3-16y.o. but if we have more than 9 people we get a 10% discount.

I'd expect tickets for this to sell quickly so if we do want to do this we'd need to get in quick. Only problem being 1 person would have to do the purchase and rely on everyone else to front up with the money on the day..............

Another big problem would be that this trip WILL take us along the Great Western Highway, almost the whole way. Last time I went through roadworks were still rather substantial, I'll get back to you after this weekend as I'm going down for Mothers day (insert awwwwwwwwwwww here).

Wow look at the time I should have hit the hay before I even logged on!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope all this helps, anymore questions please feel free to fire away.

Regards

Daniel

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

Hopefully I link this correctly.

Here's the detail Daniel put together before - https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1424.msg17575.html#msg17575

Sounds like a good trip.  Going to tinker in google maps now to map it for myself...

EDIT: have to love google maps.  Here's the 1 way trip

bez10y
To be honest I'd prefer not to go to the ZigZag Railway.

I've got noting against trains or the ZZR but I've been there a few times already so would prefer to go somewhere else.

If peeps from Sydney and Newcastle are the majority then a Central Coast trip might be simpler to arrange?

It's no biggy either way though.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey bez10y, where abouts are you from?

I could do a drive on most Saturdays or Sundays, and I usually like to go for a good couple of hours. I mean, it doesn't have to be anything super organised, I'd just like to meet a few of you guys, you know?  :wink:

bez10y
Heya Duckman,

I'm living in Sydney but I have family in Newcastle and the Central Coast and my folks live at Nelson Bay (where I was raised).

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

I'm open to any location.  Obviously the mountains is a fair trek but still looks like a nice run and from the previous comments was a good day.

If folks are thinking Central Coast here are a couple of ideas:
http://www.centralcoastaustralia.com.au/AreaInfo/attractions_mangrove.asp
http://www.centralcoastaustralia.com.au/areaInfo/attractions_munmorah.asp

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I think we should make it different to the first one. The idea of going to Katoomba and the 3 sisters etc is a good one. If we want to partake in the festivities of the day (the Winter Solstice celebrations) and/or take a ride on the Main line steam train (not Zig Zag) so be it. If not, no harm done here.

Following the same route maybe a bit boring for anyone who attended the first meet (although right now it looks like I'm the only one)

Regards

Daniel

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

Must be me I hope but I tried to put a poll for options up and failed badly.

Is it worth polling / voting on a choice of location.

I'm open to most locations to the point I'd mapped my 3 hour trip to zig zag.

Any care to try putting a poll up as I wasted too much time on it and dinner is calling...

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
I'm living in Sydney but I have family in Newcastle and the Central Coast and my folks live at Nelson Bay (where I was raised).

Haha. I've got family up that way, and I broke my wrist at Nelson's Bay. Ah the memories. :P

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

Ok. Poll is up.  Pick your preference.

The Blue Mountains meet is definitely more organised but that is not to say we can't organise the other options.

No defined date but I guess that can come later but please post preference or dates you can't make.

Have a happy mothers day tomorrow (reminder for those who might have forgotten :-) )

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I'm only available every second weekend at best. So as long as it's on a weekend that I'm free I'm happy.

Regards

Daniel

bez10y
I voted other as I am cool with whatever is decided.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Had to vote candy as Im too far away lol

Offline blawler

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I took a trip through the southern highlands on mothersday. This was spectacular, however probally a bit far for our newcastle members.

Blue mountains is great. Central Coast and newcastle I get to less often, so would also be keen on this, you know travelling some roads i have not done in a while.

I might have my new bike by then, so the old pacific HWY would be nice too :-D

Another destination that I am oing to check out in the next few weeks is St Albans, near wisemans ferry. Some old convict ruins there, and apparently a GREAT pub.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The old pacific highway is a great run, but for something a little more intense, is the National Park run, which starts basically at Stanwell Tops, and runs through all the way up to the Sutherland Shire. Me and my friends do drives along there every now and again, late at night at about 930pm onwards.

Also, Macquarie Pass near Albion Park on the South Coast is fantastic. But I'm not sure if you guys are keen for a "hard" drive :)

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal