i30 Owners Club

7,000 km "Optional" Service

mjt57 · 122 · 38058

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Guys,
For the optional 7,500 service is there any risk of voiding the warranty if you do it yourself?
I mean I will buy a good oil that meets manufacturer specifications however with the oil filter
if I just get an OEM one will that be enough or do I have to get a Hyundai one?
Reason for asking is, when the next scheduled service occurs, if I install an OEM filter and they see
it they may start asking question.....

Is the extra worry worth the few dollars you'll save by using an aftermarket filter?  :undecided:

You can buy original Hyundai filters quite cheaply from Hyspares.....

http://www.hyspares.com.au/bluecart/products/885

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
funny how you guys a referring a 7500 km maintenance as optional
over here in Canada every car manufacturers require oil changes every 8000km or every 6 months (first one that occurs)
Not doing so will prevent you from being able to claim the warranty if something on the engine breaks
With my i30cw I actually had to do an extra 3000km one as they wanted to make sure nothing broke on break-in procedure

only luxury cars like BMW tolerate 20000km services
(in Canada BMW is pretty much at the top of car hierarchy right before exotics)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
funny how you guys a referring a 7500 km maintenance as optional

(in Canada BMW is pretty much at the top of car hierarchy right before exotics)

IT is not 'us' who are referring it as an optional service. In the service passport, it clearly states "OPTIONAL INTERMEDIATE SERVICE 7,500kms".....This is how Hyundai decided to do it here in AUS...but of course I would have to agree with you that there is no way I am leaving my car on the same oil for 15000 or once a year.....All we argue is doing it ourselves instead of going to pay $300 for a filter and oil change......(and god knows what sort of oil they use)

And by the way BMW is very over-hyped nowadays, even they make lemons now.....I have friends who have problems with them! (Its part of cost cutting that pretty much all companies pursue now).
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Guys,
While still on topic,
Will I void warranty if I conduct the 7500km optional oil change myself??

Oil wise I am going to use Shell helix ultra which abides by hyundai's specs (B4) for the diesel,

and I will use a RYCO filter which (according to Ryco) also matches/exceeds Hyundai's specs....

I am a bit hesitant in doing it myself.....Has anyone else done it and been spoken to by the dealer?

I am more concerned about the oil filter as it is a RYCO and they might pull it out on the 15,000km service
and read the 'RYCO' wording and start asking question.

Pip
Leave the filter in. It will last the year out. ;)

Who do you need to tell you changed the oil?

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Leave the filter in. It will last the year out. ;)

Who do you need to tell you changed the oil?

Thanks Pip, yeah the filter was the thing i was worrying most about as it can be traced back to me.....I guess ill just go and return it and get some more oil instead......

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Makes one wonder what brand of oil goes into the Hyundais at the factory, whether it be in Korea or Czech Republic.  Does anyone know?   Perhaps Singer Sewing Machine oil?. :fum: :Shocked:

But back on topic, like others I tend to think these intermediate services, i.e. 7500km, are a way to increase revenue at the Dealer's workshop. :rofl:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Makes one wonder what brand of oil goes into the Hyundais at the factory, whether it be in Korea or Czech Republic.  Does anyone know?   Perhaps Singer Sewing Machine oil?. :fum: :Shocked:

But back on topic, like others I tend to think these intermediate services, i.e. 7500km, are a way to increase revenue at the Dealer's workshop. :rofl:

I changed the oil in my crdi at 7500 kms because I wanted to get the original oil out after running in. That and the fact that even the service manager at a major Hyundai service centre was unable to tell me what oil was used for all servicing.

That is when I started supplying my own oil.

Following the 7500 km service I had it done again at 15,000 kms then went to 15,000 km intervals.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Either way, its 15k for me.

What I Do is change the oil ONLY on the intermediate service, and let the dealer change the filter/oil on the major services.
Changing the oil is a 30min job and as the diesel combusts in much higher pressure and temperatures that petrol - I believe for what is worth it is a good way to 'future proof' your engine.....
Most recommended (by me  :rolleyes:) oils are on special most of the time..
In fact repco has the Shell helix 5w40 for $42 and Valvoline synpower 5w40 for $49 at the moment!

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Funny thing is when I got my car it had the sticker of CASTROL MAGNATEC on the window. I would never go even near the Magnatec range (IN AUSTRALIA ONLY) for the i30 Diesel.

I change the oil on the 6,000km (Couldn't wait for 7,500) and even when the engine was cold that 'thing' was like water. It had lost all its viscosity!!

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

I changed the oil in my crdi at 7500 kms because I wanted to get the original oil out after running in. That and the fact that even the service manager at a major Hyundai service centre was unable to tell me what oil was used for all servicing.

That is when I started supplying my own oil.

Following the 7500 km service I had it done again at 15,000 kms then went to 15,000 km intervals.

The irony here is how can you even be sure that if you supply your own oil they won't just take it and use their instead?
I never trust the dealers unless I am inside the workshop and see step-by-step what they are doing.

This is why I do the intermediate oil changes myself - because I think of it like the worse case scenario - IF they use 'bad' oil on the schedule services - At least I will use 'good' oil on the intermediates!!!

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

I would never go even near the Magnatec range (IN AUSTRALIA ONLY) for the i30 Diesel.
It would be nice if people would explain themselves when writing such things. I don't know what oil that my dealer uses, but if it's Castrol then I (and many others, I'd assume) wouldd like to know why this concerns you.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Pip
Makes one wonder what brand of oil goes into the Hyundais at the factory, whether it be in Korea or Czech Republic.  Does anyone know?
For Oz (Korean) I was told Shell and I think it was Rusty that had a similar confirmation. I assume something like the retail Helix Ultra 5w40.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:34:22 by Pip »

Pip

I would never go even near the Magnatec range (IN AUSTRALIA ONLY) for the i30 Diesel.
It would be nice if people would explain themselves when writing such things. I don't know what oil that my dealer uses, but if it's Castrol then I (and many others, I'd assume) wouldd like to know why this concerns you.
The Magnatec is what I'd call a 3rd tier oil and, off the top of my head, none with that name are ACEA B4 which is the basic requirement (for diesel in Oz).

Pip
The irony here is how can you even be sure that if you supply your own oil they won't just take it and use their instead?
I ask for the container(s) back because as I do all our three cars I've never enough empties for old oil. It's unlikely that a dishonest employee will bother to decant your oil just to steal it. More likely just steal the boss's.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It would be nice if people would explain themselves when writing such things. I don't know what oil that my dealer uses, but if it's Castrol then I (and many others, I'd assume) would like to know why this concerns you.

A chap called Michael Harper who was a member on here for a good while used to be a Hyundai service manager and he said he had some really bad experiences with Magnatec... Said to definitely not use it.

2i30's also had it put in his petrol i30's by the dealer in the early part of his ownership and had to keep topping it up  :Shocked: so he now gets a better quality oil put in and the problem has disappeared (I believe)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

HEy yeah sorry should have explained myself. but as pip explained none of the mangatec oils are B4 spec which is a prerequisite for the diesel. THey don't even pretend to be full synthetic. Only the Castrol edge titanium are....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I never trust the dealers unless I am inside the workshop and see step-by-step what they are doing.

This is why I do the intermediate oil changes myself - because I think of it like the worse case scenario - IF they use 'bad' oil on the schedule services - At least I will use 'good' oil on the intermediates!!!

This is why in the early life of my i30 I used the dealership mobile servicing van (because I supplied the oil and was there when it was serviced) and following that, I used a local workshop I could trust.

I wouldn't use a dealership which wasn't even able to tell me what oil they used in the diesel i30 when I asked.  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
HEy yeah sorry should have explained myself. but as pip explained none of the mangatec oils are B4 spec which is a prerequisite for the diesel. THey don't even pretend to be full synthetic. Only the Castrol edge titanium are....

I don't know for certain but I doubt many (any?) of the oils we have been discussing here are actually fully synthetic in the sense that they contain no mineral oil content - even if highly refined.

My guess would be that only the 0w40 oils are likely to have 100% or at least a major percentage of synthetic base oil. The others might have some or none. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 is unlikely to have any with its base oil a group 3, not 4 nor 5. Only 4 and 5 are true synthetic in the sense that they are NOT derived from mineral oil.

Whether that is important is open to debate. :undecided:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Whether that is important is open to debate. :undecided:

Totally agree with you pip - but I think for an every day commuter on an every day car I do not think it is quite relevant. IF I owed a ferrari Oh yes I would spend top dollar for the oil....

However Going from a shell helix to a mobil1 I do not think I will see a difference (short or long term) other than to my wallet.

LIttle story: My little brother has inherited a Hyundai excel 98 (Ow those where those days) from me and it has done 300,000k on the clock.
Bought it used 10 year ago and honestly it has been treated like sheet - We never even used to keep to the scheduled oil interval changes - and when we did We would put whatever crap oil we could find - sometimes the full mineral staff you get from the supermarkets!

Still goes without ANY problems whatsoever -  Those where those days that things were built to last - I think it can do another 100,000km with ease! I take care of it now - changing the oils on the intervals but still using cheap staff like valvoline engine armor or shell helix HX5 or Castrol magnatec whatever is on special!

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Wights Motor World (www.wights.com.au) where I bought my i30 and where I've had it serviced uses Havoline 5w30 fully synthetic oil in Hyundai diesels that it services. Hopefully that's OK. If not, then it's on it if the engine fails due to poor lubrication.

Pip
Wights Motor World (www.wights.com.au) where I bought my i30 and where I've had it serviced uses Havoline 5w30 fully synthetic oil in Hyundai diesels that it services. Hopefully that's OK. If not, then it's on it if the engine fails due to poor lubrication.
I hope it's this one.
http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1800
and not this one.
http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1772

The first is B4 C3, the second a B5 C2 and is too skinny. Even the first one, the C3 is formulated for a DPF and IMO compromises the absolute robustness of a strong B4 specification. We don't have a DPF so why use that oil? Possibly it's the convenience of a more universal oil that suits a wider range of engines?

Having said that, I would not expect any problem using it. Even if it did get a little extra wear or whatever... it probably wouldn't show in the normal life of the engine of several hundreds of ks and probably well beyond both the warranty and your ownership.

My take is that things like oil and tyres for instance should be selected in the same way that we selected our cars in the first place; I try to get the best fit for the defined task.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
All I can say is OILS AIN'T OILS. :whistler:  We are very fussy with our favourite oil.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I hope it's this one.
http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1800
and not this one.
http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1772

Thanks for those links.

When I take it in for its 15,000km service soon I'll take in both data sheets and ask which one it is.

But we have to assume that as a Hyundai dealer (sales and service) that Wights would be using the correct oil. Otherwise it bares its arse if engines start failing...

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
SO.... after reading all these posts... What oil does the Hyundai Dealership use?  I have asked in the past but hvae forgotten! lol
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

SO.... after reading all these posts... What oil does the Hyundai Dealership use?  I have asked in the past but hvae forgotten! lol

I don't know because I asked the service manager of a large Hyundai dealership here in W.A. and he wasn't able to tell me, saying that it was a "blend" that they use for lots of cars.

That is why I decided to always supply my own oil so that I know what is going into it.

Since then, I have always used Shell Helix Ultra.

• Tertius the i30

Pip

I don't know because I asked the service manager of a large Hyundai dealership here in W.A. and he wasn't able to tell me, saying that it was a "blend" that they use for lots of cars.

That is why I decided to always supply my own oil so that I know what is going into it.

And I think this is the correct answer... because there is no "Hyundai" formulated oil the dealer will use whatever they can get that (presumably) meets the manufacturer's specification.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

I will be taking my own oil to the dealrship (in this case either the Shell Ultra or something similar). Not only I will save money I am making sure they are putting in a decent oil Regardless of what they use.
Funny that because when I bought the car there was a "CASTROL MAGNATEC" sticker on the windows and I am not a big fan of castrol oils especially the magnatec range which is not a very good oil.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

This is a bit of a worry for me. What is this "blend", a blend of different oils from different manufacturers. This possibility might eventuate if those of us who supply our oil get tipped into a common vessel. How many of us actually see our oil going into our cars.  :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal