EPS fails intermittently

Doggie 1 · 112 · 22558

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I suggested they give their technician who lives in Kwinana an hour or so extra to allow him to drive to Mandurah and back (in the 110 km/h zone). I won't hold my breath.

Can you not suggest given they are worried about taking the car to such speed, that you drive with the tech on board

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I suggested they give their technician who lives in Kwinana an hour or so extra to allow him to drive to Mandurah and back (in the 110 km/h zone). I won't hold my breath.

Can you not suggest given they are worried about taking the car to such speed, that you drive with the tech on board

Happy to do that but then they won't experience what happens. You'd have to be the driver.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So you're telling us that Hy aren't prepared to let a technician do 110 kmh in your vehicle, but as an owner of their product, they don't mind if you do.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They seem to have a mental block at 110 km/h for some reason because the dealership is in Perth.
The state limit is 110 km/h. No issue that I can see.
I have written another email to Hyundai Australia so will await the outcome.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can you take it to another dealer Dave, Rockingham Hyundai had no problem with driving my car down Patterson Rd to check steering issues after I purchased the car as I complained about the car floating/wandering at 110km

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Can you take it to another dealer Dave, Rockingham Hyundai had no problem with driving my car down Patterson Rd to check steering issues after I purchased the car as I complained about the car floating/wandering at 110km

Yes, if needs be I will.
I suggested Mandurah Hyundai as well but H/A recommended JH.
I'll wait to see what the outcome is at JH but I would like to know if no fault is found whether or not the $154 diagnosis fee applies at all dealerships or whether it's just something they do at JH.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's to cover their time, I guess, but considering that you allowed them to use your car to convey their tech home one night, to allow for further testing, that fee should be waived IMO.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Should their time be covered on a factory new car warranty claim relating to a safety issue?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've never had a diagnosis fee mentioned, it's warranty issue for god sakes :disapp: if they can't find the issue then that's their problem but you have a legitimate complaint that requires rectifying at their cost and if they're incapable of doing it then they either take it to somebody that can or tell them to get stuffed and you'll take it to a better dealership and let them know you be putting a complaint into HA about their pathetic abilities.

You should come and pick me up when you go in there Dave, I'll bloody let them have it  :argh:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If I don't pay, I won't get my car back.
But then I do have their car.   :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
By their own admission, (so far) they haven't reproduced the conditions under which the fault occurs, therefore they cannot conclude that the fault cannot be reproduced. Therefore they cannot be entitled to charge a fee as if no fault was found. :spitty:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Should their time be covered on a factory new car warranty claim relating to a safety issue?   :undecided:

They will only be payed for their time by Hyundai if they find and rectify a fault.
If nothing is found then they can't claim. And even if they were to find and rectify they will only be payed for the predetermined time for that job.
They won't get a cent from Hyundai for the few hours they've spent test driving.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
But this is not Doggie 1's problem, it's the dealer's.
The dealership takes on Hyundai for good and bad.
It's quite happy to sell thousands of vehicles and make mad money from their servicing.
If a faulty EPS was proven, do you think that dealer would refund Doggie…… not likely.
  • i-30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They will only be payed for their time by Hyundai if they find and rectify a fault.
If nothing is found then they can't claim. And even if they were to find and rectify they will only be payed for the predetermined time for that job.
They won't get a cent from Hyundai for the few hours they've spent test driving.

But they're getting me to pay for their time on a warranty item.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

By their own admission, (so far) they haven't reproduced the conditions under which the fault occurs, therefore they cannot conclude that the fault cannot be reproduced. Therefore they cannot be entitled to charge a fee as if no fault was found. :spitty:

:agreed:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Im sitting this debate out. Simply adding some information where I thought it might be of use.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
But this is not Doggie 1's problem, it's the dealer's.
The dealership takes on Hyundai for good and bad.
It's quite happy to sell thousands of vehicles and make mad money from their servicing.
If a faulty EPS was proven, do you think that dealer would refund Doggie…… not likely.

Message above was supposed to have this quote attached.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

But they're getting me to pay for their time on a warranty item.  :undecided:

Thats up to the individual dealerships discretion. We would not charge and take it as a loss, hence why my personal efficiency ratings are extremely poor.
The way they and all dealerships see it is all jobs are retail until proven otherwise.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Tim.
I suggested a country dealer because of where I live. H/A suggested JH which is why I went there.
I wasn't told about the charge until I got there.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Being the first Hyundai dealer in Aus and registered seller onf the 1000000th in Austealia you'd think they'd have a bit more iCare.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I was supposed to hear from JH Hyundai today but didn't.   :disapp:
So I rang them and spoke to the person who has been dealing with my car.
He couldn't remember me.
After looking it up on the computer he said that they drove the car at 110 km/h and couldn't fault it - no error codes came up.
So I said that in that case, I'll pick it up in the morning.
I asked for the diagnosis fee to be waived, given that in 135,000 kms this is the only warranty item I have claimed and it is a definite safety issue and the response was that they have spent much more time on the car than they should have and the fee + the loan car cost stands.   :fum:
I emailed Hyundai Australia customer service last Friday about the diagnosis fee but have not received a reply.
A customer being forced to pay a diagnosis fee for making a warranty claim is morally wrong and unethical IMO.
I pick the car up tomorrow morning feeling like it was a total waste of time (and money), which it was.
How is a customer supposed to deal with an intermittent problem such as this?
Anyhow, that's life. Any legal liability as far as I'm concerned rests with Hyundai Australia and John Hughes Hyundai as the matter has been reported twice.
I can't do any more than report it, explain in detail what the symptoms are and how dangerous it is to both the occupants of my car and other road users when it occurs.
While my car was at JH I Googled Hyundai steering problems which I hadn't done before. They certainly can't claim to not know about it. It's a worldwide problem that Hyundai is fully aware of. They just won't accept a customer's word for it when it is an intermittent issue as it is on my car.
If Hyundai want to be the global leader they say they do, then as well as building good cars (which they do), they also need to have a big look at themselves when it comes to customer service because they have one unhappy camper here who, after buying my last two new cars from them, will most probably not buy another.
Rant over.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There must be a way to have your complaint treated seriously by Hy Oz. Bring in the media to report a safety issue. I think they may take more notice of you this way.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Well, Hyundai supporters don't come much bigger than me (shut up, Dazz  :P).
I always sing their praises at every opportunity as I've had two great cars from them.
But if a satisfied customer like me loses faith in them, then I sort of understand how dissatisfied customers must feel as well and how is H/A going to deal with that? Just ride it out, I guess.
Hyundai, lift your game.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeqh. I'd print out all that web stuff plus the relevant stuff from  here and speak to a curret affairs program.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very disappointing :disapp: Might be time to give a call to Consumer Protection :link: Consumer Protection | Department of Commerce and Current Affairs as Trev mentioned.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is it possible to rig a pair of inboard cameras to get some record of the fault "in action" as it were?

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you think it is a safety issue, then it really deserves to be properly investigated. How about an auto association test to back up your claim. I realize that it would be very inconvenient and really shouldn't be necessary, but HY do need to know that they have a potential problem. If ANY injury was caused to anyone, I know you would feel somewhat responsible. There would be no comfort in saying the JH or Hy are responsible.

As for JH  & Hy Oz, a very poor standard of customer care IMO. :fum: :fum: :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Is it possible to rig a pair of inboard cameras to get some record of the fault "in action" as it were?

No, not really because it's more felt than seen.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If you think it is a safety issue, then it really deserves to be properly investigated. How about an auto association test to back up your claim. I realize that it would be very inconvenient and really shouldn't be necessary, but HY do need to know that they have a potential problem. If ANY injury was caused to anyone, I know you would feel somewhat responsible. There would be no comfort in saying the JH or Hy are responsible.

As for JH  & Hy Oz, a very poor standard of customer care IMO. :fum: :fum: :fum:

I guess the problem is the intermittent nature of the problem.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Is there any way you can be more specific about when & under what conditions it occurs  :question:

Does it happen in all modes ?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal