Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Mine is 7.5, temperature outside has been averaging -2 to 10°C

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Is that Auto or Manual? Diesel or Petrol?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Is that Auto or Manual? Diesel or Petrol?

Manual Petrol.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Using higher quality fuel will get you better economy - eg 98 octane instead of the E10 unleaded they sell here in Australia. I don't know what regulations you have in Iceland for fuel quality - maybe the fuel quality isn't so good over there? Second, Petrol is advertised to be @ 6.7L/100km for the manual, from Hyundai's website, but only once broken in will your car get this low.
Driving economically is an art - ask Hans or our own Bob and Shambles.

NB - Just as an example for comparing long-distance to short-distance driving: in my Charade, I usually drive very small distances around local metro area for 9.5L/100km - if I do a 1-off 190km return trip to the beach (with 120km being 70-110km/hr constant speed), I get 8.3L/100km. What sort of driving do you do?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Using higher quality fuel will get you better economy - eg 98 octane instead of the E10 unleaded they sell here in Australia. I don't know what regulations you have in Iceland for fuel quality - maybe the fuel quality isn't so good over there? Second, Petrol is advertised to be @ 6.7L/100km for the manual, from Hyundai's website, but only once broken in will your car get this low.
Driving economically is an art - ask Hans or our own Bob and Shambles.

NB - Just as an example for comparing long-distance to short-distance driving: in my Charade, I usually drive very small distances around local metro area for 9.5L/100km - if I do a 1-off 190km return trip to the beach (with 120km being 70-110km/hr constant speed), I get 8.3L/100km. What sort of driving do you do?

I use 95 octane on my car, but I can get 100 octane V-Power too, isn't that just for sportscars ?

And I should have mentioned that I do not drive economically, I usually rev high and just think economic driving is boring  :razz:

I tried it once and got about 6.6, man that was boring I almost had to buy an old mans hat to drive with  :lol:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I use 95 octane on my car, but I can get 100 octane V-Power too, isn't that just for sportscars ?
And I should have mentioned that I do not drive economically, I usually rev high and just think economic driving is boring  :razz:
I tried it once and got about 6.6, man that was boring I almost had to buy an old mans hat to drive with  :lol:
I just think if you use higher octane fuel, it's usually cleaner better quality. And I think you've answered your own question :D And don't buy a new hat. Borrow Bob or Thumper's :D

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hey! I leave the racing for the track!  :twisted:

Too many idiots out on the public roads, so just sit on the limit (Or under) and watch them all fly by. Laugh when you see them pulled over just down the road, booked for speeding!  :lol:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Laugh when you see them pulled over just down the road, booked for speeding!  :lol:
Yeah, one of the most enjoyable things to watch while driving I say.

Offline Markusus

• 1st Gear
Anyone has a direct experience that for petrol I30 you can get better (how much) economy with more expensive petrols?
Among other fuel brands...I can pump VPower 95, VPower Racing 100 (both Shell), Carrera 95, Carrera 100 (both OMV), or regular Natural 95 (OMV or Shell). (Location between Czech Republic and Slovak Republic...).

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I tried ethanol Unleaded for 2 months, then tried 98 Octane BP Ultimate for 2 months, on my old Diahatsu Charade. My economy improved noticably, by about 5-10%. I haven't tried on the i30 yet because I haven't done enough km's - my economy is showing 12L/100km!!

Offline spillmill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
some recent testing in Australia showed that regular unleaded is the cheapest per km, e10 is dearer and then the premium ones are dearer still [citation needed] ;)

of course, don't use any lower than the manufacturers recommendation

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

some recent testing in Australia showed that regular unleaded is the cheapest per km, e10 is dearer and then the premium ones are dearer still [citation needed] ;)

of course, don't use any lower than the manufacturers recommendation
*however*, although Unleaded works out cheapest overall, it's not MUCH of a saving over the premium fuels (but a huge saving over e10), and the premium fuel adds a more mileage to your engine itself and other parts that are affected by fuel quality (exhaust, filters)

As a side-note, I'm using premium for first 2 fillups (no further than 50% tank at fill up), and I'm at 700km on the clock, and I've got an economy of...
(drum roll please, this is... like... Thumper good... )

(more drums roll)

13.8 L/100km
And that's after reseting it while I was just starting a short trip along the motorway - which had my economy at 6.9 for a minute or 5.

Looks like I gotta break my baby in with a 2,000km trip to Melbourne and back...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Your going good there Rubix, another good reason to use Caltex Vortex 98 or BP ULTIMATE 98 is\ it keeps inside the combussion clean, keeps injectors clean too. i have inspected motors that have ran on that fuel ,i've seen the heads come off and looked myself. it's better for your motor too as burns slower.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

going good at double the official listed economy? Wowsers. Ok...
On the flip side, I've seen a couple of motors that were non-e10 compliant (ie 5-10yr old motors), that have been running e10 for the past few years, and they look horrible. So much rubbish.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
not sure about e10 as i have not really used it much except in company car a few times, but the unlead we get here is dirty lot of carbon build up. i think it's about 91 oct RON, in Euro they don't use it lowest they have is 95 RON. in USA they measure octain at the pump so its PON everytime you pump fuel it looses some octain.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I didn't read every single post, so I apologise in advance if it's already been said, but if you run you tyres at approx. 38psi (front) 35-36psi (rear), you can greatly maximise efficiency. It's not too much, anything above 38psi is definitely overdoing it. I increased fuel economy in my Getz by almost 0.8L/100km.

Though, I have yet to get my i30!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Duckman,

Lakes and some others like plenty of air in the tyres (for economy)

I think I'm running about 34-36 all round as I don't like my ride too firm.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yea, I like higher pressures too, as I do much more travelling on motorways and highways, at high speed (100-120km/h). If I were to be driving in wet conditions, and giving the car a bit of go, I'd reduce it to 30-32psi, for traction.

But then again, that's for more fun, rather than economy!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Duckman, good tip, i'm not sure what gain with a few pounds more in tyres on the i30 as i have not realy tested, and as mine is SX no trip PC to go off and the CRDi goes a long way on a tank. but i ran both stock 15" SX tyres and now 16" SLX tyres @ 42psi front 40psi rear. i do a lot of country miles roads are rough so thought b4 my next trip away (this coming weekend) i would test 35psi front and rear for ride quality. was not much diference in ride but i could feel front drive tyres ran hot compaired to 42psi, so i increased the front to 38psi rear to 36psi felt the tyres after a brisk drive, and they felt ok not too hot, hot tyres wear faster also means more friction.
Duckman i just run my tyres same pressure wet or dry and they seem ok, i found under inflated tyres can slip in wet too just need the right inflation.

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear
Im averaging 550km's per tank in my 1.4. Thats combined motorway and town driving, im not a slow driver but then i dont race the pants off of it. Is this about right. I thought i should get a little bit more??

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Im averaging 550km's per tank in my 1.4. Thats combined motorway and town driving, im not a slow driver but then i dont race the pants off of it. Is this about right. I thought i should get a little bit more??

I get about 650 to 700 in my 1,6 petrol, and I dont drive economically. Most of my driving is motorway.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Most of my driving is town and I get about 350 miles to about 45 litres (1.6) in our current temps.  During the very cold spell my average was as low as 28mpg :eek:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I filled up today with about 43~ litres. I had driven 470km, and I was still sitting on a quarter of a tank! (2.0L Petrol).

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I filled up today with about 43~ litres. I had driven 470km, and I was still sitting on a quarter of a tank! (2.0L Petrol).

The fuel meter runs down slower with full tank, then it will drop faster  :wink:

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear
Most of my driving is town and I get about 350 miles to about 45 litres (1.6) in our current temps.  During the very cold spell my average was as low as 28mpg :eek:

I dont feel quite so bad now, that roughly what mine is doing.......

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
The fuel meter runs down slower with full tank, then it will drop faster  :wink:
It does the opposite in my car  :neutral: the first 1/4 of a tank is gone after 120km. They it slows down to about 150, 190 and 200km per 1/4 of a tank.

1/4: 120km
1/4: 150km
1/4: 190km
1/4: 200km

4/4: 660km Total avg.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey just outa curiousity how did u get 13.2 or whatever it is, the highest ive got is 10.1litres per hundred km and thats me hammering the poor little car all the time cause im always trying to keep up with my mates car but yeah i cant get any higher than 10.

cheers
ash

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb
Well, after I start to drive my I30 2.0 petrol normal my consumtion is arround 11,5 lit/100km. Well I have only a few km to work so my car never have the time to wormup  :neutral:

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Well, after I start to drive my I30 2.0 petrol normal my consumtion is arround 11,5 lit/100km. Well I have only a few km to work so my car never have the time to wormup  :neutral:
Use your bike!!  :lol:

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb
Use your bike!!  :lol:

It is too cold  :'(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal