Glass Cleaner

AlanHo · 15 · 11574

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
From new my car has had some contamination on the windows - especially the windscreen. It is invisible on a dull day but in sunlight shows up like a crocodile skin pattern resembling a not-quite transparent film on the glass. On a cool morning when moisture has misted the glass, even with the wipers running, the contamination is uncomfortably visible bordering on dangerous when driving into the sun.

I have tried several so-called glass cleaners with limited success.  What do you guys suggest.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
From new my car has had some contamination on the windows - especially the windscreen. It is invisible on a dull day but in sunlight shows up like a crocodile skin pattern resembling a not-quite transparent film on the glass. On a cool morning when moisture has misted the glass, even with the wipers running, the contamination is uncomfortably visible bordering on dangerous when driving into the sun.

I have tried several so-called glass cleaners with limited success.  What do you guys suggest.

Wow! So even the invisible glass cleaner you highly recommended won't fetch it off? It was you that recommended that stuff wasn't it? I bought some at considerable expense (compared to my usual cleaners - of which we already had copious amounts) and found it to be the bees knees!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Could it be the shatterproof lamination showing through, and not actually any removable debris?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could it be the shatterproof lamination showing through, and not actually any removable debris?
Now that's a thought to reflect on..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

No its not the glass lamination.  I still stand by my recommendation that Invisible glass is the best cleaner I have found and gets the inside of the screen and windows squeaky clean. It also gets the outside of the door windows exceptionally clean but the films on the outside of the windscreen and hatch window are stubborn.

I did some experiments a few days ago on the outside of the rear window - first trying a clay bar. It didn't work.

Because we live 1.5 miles as the crow flies from Birmingham Airport (but not under the flight path) I wondered whether it could be unburned jet fuel blown across as the planes climbed away and tried white spirit, rubbing alcohol and carbon tetrachloride all to no avail. The best result was using, on a small area right at the top corner of the glass, kitchen cream cleaner (Astonish - which is abrasive) followed by an application of Invisible Glass and it did a good job - but I am worried that it might scratch the glass. I have some very fine paint rubbing compound and might give that a try next.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I was convinced it would the internal lamination layer as suggested by a forum bureaucrat somewhere up the thread, until you mentioned your success. What does a razor blade do for you? Please refrain from replying with descriptions of your morning shaving habits.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I was convinced it would the internal lamination layer as suggested by a forum bureaucrat somewhere up the thread, until you mentioned your success. What does a razor blade do for you? Please refrain from replying with descriptions of your morning shaving habits.
I don't trust myself with razor blades - so I use an electric shaver. 

I will however give that a try with a Stanley craft knife blade with the sharp corners ground off when the weather cools down.  33o C and dead calm at present after a 23oC night with a  thunder storm and torrential rain for just 40 minutes. two large horse chestnut trees on the main road 1km from home have been blown down.  I realise those temperatures are cool for you guys - but I can no longer stand such heat. I lived in the Middle East for 13 years from 1985 50 1998 where temperatures of 40oC were not uncommon and it didn't bother me all that much. Old age takes its toll in so many ways including memory loss Basil.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :victory: Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Adam.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'd recommend 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol for that particular issue - presumanly your rubbing alochol was less concentrated?

something like this, its all a bit price gouged at the moment as it kills c-19

:link: 500ml (0.5L) ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL 99.9% PURE IPA ISOPROPANOL LIQUID: Amazon.co.uk: Beauty

Best thing for cleaning wiper blades too

and many other things

but its HIGHLY flammable.

and wear gloves is strips all the oil out of your hands otherwise.

A rub with clean dry newspaper can help shift it too!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 19:03:48 by Lorian »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

:victory: Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Adam.

That crack made me eave

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'd recommend 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol for that particular issue - presumanly your rubbing alochol was less concentrated?

:link: 500ml (0.5L) ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL 99.9% PURE IPA ISOPROPANOL LIQUID: Amazon.co.uk: Beauty

and many other things

Thanks for the tip @Lorian  :goodjob:- it is arriving on Friday - I have my fingers crossed. 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
If you have never tried, screwing up a page of a newspaper, & using it to wipe over the car windows after cleaning them with fav cleaner. You should try it!!
Give that a go Alan.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you have never tried, screwing up a page of a newspaper, & using it to wipe over the car windows after cleaning them with fav cleaner. You should try it!!
Give that a go Alan.

That one is old news..  :snigger: :snigger:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:groan:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

and many other things

@Lorian

I have eventually found the time and break in the weather to clean all the car windows, inside and out, with 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol and it has proved to be very effective for which I thank you.

There was undoubtedly a stubborn film on the glass which only intruded in certain damp yet full sun conditions. It has now gone and the "Invisible Glass" cleaner has kept on top of it.

The job proved to require considerable effort - I had to use a sponge backed pan cleaner soaked in the alcohol with a lot of pressure to get it all off. My arm muscles are still in recovery - but it was well worth it. Thank you again Lorian.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal