i30 Owners Club

7,000 km "Optional" Service

mjt57 · 122 · 38055

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
The odo of my CRDi i30 is about to hit 7,000 km (about 4,000 miles). Here in Australia we are offered an "optional" 7,000km service. The manual indicates that 15,000 km is the first real service.

Just wondering; what do they do with this 7,000 km service and if anyone here has had it done how much did it cost you?

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I just had the "intermediate" service done on my i30 CRDi (22 500 km).  The service handbook will tell you if it is recommended at all (depends on the type of driving you do).  I got mine done as it is part of my lease arrangement.

Basically it is an oil change and check of the car (recall and service campaigns) and an all over check of the condition of everything.  They rotated the tyres and checked fluid levels.

I had the service conducted at the local Hyundai dealer and the price was $206.95.  You could probably (read, no doubt) get it done cheaper at another place, but hey, it was part of my lease.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I thought it was a 7500 km service, but I had it done on mine because I wanted to get the oil changed after the initial run-in period.
I then got it serviced at 15,000 kms & subsequently at 15,000 km intervals.
If the car hasn't been used in extreme conditions I wouldn't think it too necessary but I just wanted it done to drain the "new car" oil and get the good stuff in there.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I did the same as you Dave with our CRDi  :goodjob: WE did Trish's 2.0 Petrol at 12 months which was about 8000kms I think :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I did the same as you Dave with our CRDi  :goodjob: WE did Trish's 2.0 Petrol at 12 months which was about 8000kms I think :confused:

:lol: I'm glad you've got the "WE" down pat  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Just do it ya self mate, bugger payin a car mechanic whose probably flat out tyin his own shoes $90 an hour to spin a filter, drop some oil, top it up. And then leave his greasy bloody hand prints everywhere, not to mention the test drive!

It's your car so you'll probably do a better job anyway
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:54:56 by komaterpillar »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I didn't bother..... :undecided:
If I was fit enough to still do my own changes, oil was still $15 for 5 litres and a filter still cost $7, I may very well have done it....... :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I haven't done any intermediate services.
Just 15,000, 30,000 and yesterday, 45,000.
Yesterday  and the 30,000 cost me $Nil.   :happydance: :happydance: :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 I like to express my contempt for the suggested 7,500 service with this quote from Homer:

Homer takes Lisa to the museum and sees the sign,
 `Suggested donation: $4.50'.

Homer: Eh, what do you mean by `suggested donation'?
   Clerk: Pay any amount you wish, sir.
   Homer: And uh, what if I wish to pay ... zero?
   Clerk: That is up to you.
   Homer: Ooh, so it's up to me, is it?
   Clerk: Yes.
   Homer: I see.  And you think that people are going to pay you $4.50 even though they don't have to?
          Just out of the goodness of their... [laughs]
          Well, anything you say!  Good luck, lady, you're gonna need it!

I also note that Ryco state that filters become more effective as they catch particles, so by replacing the filter every 7.5k you may actually increase the engine wear? Better to put the coin into better oil at the 15k interval in my humble opinion and spend the savings on beer.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

I also note that Ryco state that filters become more effective as they catch particles, so by replacing the filter every 7.5k you may actually increase the engine wear? Better to put the coin into better oil at the 15k interval in my humble opinion and spend the savings on beer.

Sorry have to disagree with Ryco,

If the filter is designed to capture particulates of ?+ microns, then that's what it will do new. A dirty filter still traps the particulates, but there are less pathways for oil to flow through thus reducing oil flow & possibly causing increased wear.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
A filter is either working (not blocked) or not, although obviously there can be a period when it is nearly blocked and most oil will bypass it but I've never seen a suggestion that filters only last (say) 7500km. Whatever the effective life of a filter I would suggest that changing the filter with the oil is nothing more than a convenience. When recommended changes are at 20-30k do they ask that the filter be changed more often?  I don't think so.

I change mine at 15k with log book services even if I change the oil more often - which I do.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Either way, its 15k for me.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline dimons

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My diesel CW is about to hit 7500km after about 10 months of mainly city driving. So I might get to 9000 by the end of the car's first year.

So should I be getting the normal 15000 km service after 12 months irrespective of km? (as Dazzler has done). Or is the optional service sufficient?

Really happy with the car, running so well. Only problem seems to be that it attracts idiots to run into it it car parks. Has happened 3 times. Small marks but very annoying.

Pip
So should I be getting the normal 15000 km service after 12 months irrespective of km?
You ought really change the oil every 12 months. While it might be possible to justify not having the other annual checks done but you might just as well stick to 12 monthly services and forget the mileage and have no concern with warranty disputes.

My wife's Getz does less than yours and now it's out of warranty I'm doing my own servicing and I change the oil annually and the other service items at the standard distance intervals. Means it's all outa step but as I'm doing it myself I can handle it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Only problem seems to be that it attracts idiots to run into it it car parks. Has happened 3 times. Small marks but very annoying.

I can relate to that, my car is starting to look like it's made from corrugated iron....  :confused:  :mad:

Pip
Only problem seems to be that it attracts idiots to run into it it car parks. Has happened 3 times. Small marks but very annoying.

I can relate to that, my car is starting to look like it's made from corrugated iron....  :confused:  :mad:
And mine after 3.5 years is pristine.  :happydance:

I don't park in car parks except when absolutely necessary and even then I park well away from as many cars as I can and if I have to park next to one I try to pick which...  :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I don't park in car parks except when absolutely necessary and even then I park well away from as many cars as I can and if I have to park next to one I try to pick which...  :sweating:

Ever noticed when you park far away, someone will come and park next to you   :(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ever noticed when you park far away, someone will come and park next to you   :(

I have  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
I changed my new i30's oil and filter at 3,500klm, and will do so again at 7,000klm, then let Hyundai do the book service at 15,000. No way in the known universe will I leave a new car with Frith knows what oil in it until 15,000klm.

When I drained the oil at 3,500klm it felt stuffed. (And yes, I know it should be black!  :winker:)

I used genuine Hyundai filters and the correct oil and am very glad I did it!
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I changed my new i30's oil and filter at 3,500klm, and will do so again at 7,000klm, then let Hyundai do the book service at 15,000. No way in the known universe will I leave a new car with Frith knows what oil in it until 15,000klm.

When I drained the oil at 3,500klm it felt stuffed. (And yes, I know it should be black!  :winker:)

I used genuine Hyundai filters and the correct oil and am very glad I did it!

What type of oil are you using  :question:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Next time I go to the supermarket and there is a car all on its lonesome I'm going to park next to it....  :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistler: :whistler:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
See what I mean  :exclaim: :exclaim: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :cool!: :goodjob2:

Pip
I used Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4

http://castroledge.com.au/oils/5w-30-a3/b4
Interesting isn't it? I tried that as my first change also but I didn't leave it in long because it didn't "sound" right. You didn't like the original because it didn't "feel" right. All very subjective.  :confused:

Anyway, I do think there are better oils than that Castrol for the diesel. I'd happily put it in the petrol though. Just IMO. :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Supercheap has Mobil 1 5w-50 for under A$60 at the moment ... :goodjob:

Pip
I hope you are not suggesting anyone use that Dazz? Far too thick I'd reckon. :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hope you are not suggesting anyone use that Dazz? Far too thick I'd reckon. :fum:

I nearly grabbed some for Trish's petrol CW (But still have some Castrol Edge Sport Left)

I thought the higher figure didn't matter so much if it started at 5W ?? (I thought going up to 50 just made it cope better with hot engines??)

Pip
The second figure tells how thick it will be at a nominal running temperature of 100oC. It is this running viscosity that is important once the engine is warmed up and irrespective of how thick it starts it's where it finishes that counts. Our engines don't get hot enough to thin a 50 down to correct running viscosity. If it was tracked, then that's different.

Going too thick will just make the engine sluggish and reduce economy. Also, 5w50 will be much thicker at startup than a 5w30 even though both share the 5w because the 5 is not an absolute viscosity figure.

None of our cars have a recommendation to go thicker than 40.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Pip that makes me look a bit thick  :confused: :whistler: :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal