i30 Owners Club

Dual Mass Flywheel Problems

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
Just found the old topic re Dual Mass Flywheels:-

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13773.0

I just wondered whether any problems had surfaced this this original posting. My 2007 Diesel 2.0l CRDi i-30 is going back to the dealership again next week with the distinct possibility that it will need it's 3rd flywheel in 12 months.

1st one lasted 4 years before going haywire and Hyundai trying to stitch me up for a new clutch. The replacements just aren't lasting. Problem happens, especially in 5th gear, car accelerates steadily until it reaches 2,500 revs and then the revcounter flies to 3,000 before dropping back to 2,500 and behaving itself!! It's great when you are trying to get onto a dual carriageway without being killed........

I've had no end of issues in terms of suspension, tyre wear and now flywheel which make me think that the 2.0l was withdrawn as the engine is just too torquey for the chassis design.

Glad to hear your views.

• Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear of your issues Kevin  :undecided: Haven't heard of any Flywheel issues in the 1.6 Diesel ..

I think one of the reasons they discontinued the 2.0 Diesel was it used a belt instead of a chain to drive the cam. (an older design)

The 1.6 Diesel has had some tyre wear issues (particularly the fronts)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm seeing owners of diesel cars from all makers complaining about DMF's.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
Dazzler

Thanks for the info re the belt.

Do the front tyres wear on the inside shoulders? Mine seem to no matter how frequently I get the tracking sorted, they've chewed up two sets of Eagle F1s which are expensive but necessary to compensate for the "challenging" handling......

Cheers
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
Ffoxy

It's definitely something I'll be looking at when I change the i-30 in the next couple of months. She's still in her 5 year warranty but everything is now being put down to wear & tear by the dealership so there seems little point in persevering any more.

Cheers
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

"challenging" handling......

:eek:

Must have a Friday car... mine is ike its on rails at 33,000 miles and 4 years old, my i30 is a 1.6 petrol mind...

I got out of a Fiat 1.9 MJet diesel for a few diesel ralated issues.
Front tyre wear, a tendency to oversteer in the wet especially, EGR, DMF risk, turbo risk.

Mind you it was on 73,000 miles...

I'm wondering if converted petrol drivers are not aware of what converting to diesel might mean.

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
I've only ever had diesels but I think that I may be switching!

It must have been a fun-packed Friday in Korea when my car was put together. :D
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Pip
I'm wondering if converted petrol drivers are not aware of what converting to diesel might mean.
That's an interesting comment, what do you mean?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do the front tyres wear on the inside shoulders? Mine seem to no matter how frequently I get the tracking sorted, they've chewed up two sets of Eagle F1s which are expensive but necessary to compensate for the "challenging" handling......

Cheers

We had a 1.6 CRDi and did 68,000 Kilometres in 28 months (got 55K out of the first set - probably could have squeezed a little more) without any issues but I think it has been the insides that wear .. will have to wait wait until one of our members with this issue spots the thread..

The alignment and/or camber can apparently be adjusted to offset this wear but not sure of the exact details..

Basically a good tyre place should be able to see how the tyres are wearing and make the necessary adjustments but a lot dont... :disapp: 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Because a diesel has a very high compression ratio - it does not rotate at an absolutely constant speed but slows at the top of each compression stroke then speed up as it fires. This rotary oscillation is absorbed in the springs or rubber buffers built into the dual mass flywheel before it gets to the clutch.

I am under the impression that failure of the dual mass flywheel manifests itself with a loud harsh engine rattle and heavy vibration under certain engine load conditions.  I cannot see how this would cause your engine speed to suddenly increase or decrease - a dodgy clutch would.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
AlanHo

Thanks for that, I'm not an expert so can only go on what Hyundai tell me and replace. The clutch and flywheel were replaced just over 12 months ago with the flywheel being replaced again 3-4 months ago when the same revcounter flying issue recurred.

Sandon Road motors are going to look at it next Tuesday so we'll see what happens after the ride along.

Thanks again
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

That's an interesting comment, what do you mean?

Diesels drive differently as their torque / BHP profile is different. Drive a diesel as you would a petrol and the diesel benefits shrink dramatically. Add to that an increase in sprung weight and, in the case of the Fiat I owned with a heavy iron block... it was VERY easy to make the front wash out, especially in the wet due to the car being nose heavy. Petrol version drivers never had such issues.

Xamaxy
..... Problem happens, especially in 5th gear, car accelerates steadily until it reaches 2,500 revs and then the revcounter flies to 3,000 before dropping back to 2,500 and behaving itself!! .....

This is the most obvious sing one can get for dead clutch! Absolutely nothing to do with the dual mass flywheel and if your service did replace it i would be seriously worried about their expertise.

I am under the impression that failure of the dual mass flywheel manifests itself with a loud harsh engine rattle and heavy vibration under certain engine load conditions.  I cannot see how this would cause your engine speed to suddenly increase or decrease - a dodgy clutch would.

Bingo. This is it.

@celtickevin70
My opinion is that your Hyundai service is either very bad one or ashamed to admit that clutch is absolutely known weak point in any Hyundai high hp diesel!!
This is why clutch replacement cost 300euro tops....get price for other car makers and be sure to be sited when getting that info :mrgreen:

If you google every other compact like opel astra, ford focus, golf etc you'll see all of them about 340Nm of torque for 140hp, hyundai 2.0crdi 304Nm...you get the picture.
fire away if i can help you further :goodjob:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 22:50:50 by Xamaxy »

Pip
Didn't we determine some time back that the 1.6 CRDi didn't have a DMF? Maybe I imagined that and we decided that it did. :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Didn't we determine some time back that the 1.6 CRDi didn't have a DMF? Maybe I imagined that and we decided that it did. :confused:

Original post is a 2.0 Litre Diesel
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I thought we decided it did but that it had been trouble free  :undecided: But I could be mistaken too  :confused:

Xamaxy
Only 2.0l diesel has DMF.  And author of topic said he has 2.0l CRDi.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The "D" in CRDi means "Diesel" as in Common Rail Diesel Injection.

Pip

I'm not sure what you are saying here Alan but I'm taking the last few responses to mean that the (old) 2.0 litre diesel had a DMF but none of the 1.6's do. From what I have read, that's a good thing.

Apologies for side-tracking the discussion re 2.0 litre diesel.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The Hyundai 1.6 diesel fitted to the i30 has always had a DMF.

Xamaxy

Wtf are you talking about? Every kid knows that and its what i said. 2.0l diesel, 2.0l CRDi, the same thing.

From where do you get info that 1.6 crdi also has dmf?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Hyundai 1.6 diesel fitted to the i30 has always had a DMF.
Not being a diesel owner I could be wrong, but I thought we'd established the Oz versions (original model) didn't have a DPF.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Xamaxy
Do you even bother to read what is writen?  :winker:

First 1.6 story, and now DPF. Its DMF, not DPF. We talk here about flywheels not particle filters

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This bloody thread is all over the place :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This bloody thread is all over the place :rolleyes:

It's turned into a Shambles  :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

From where do you get info that 1.6 crdi also has dmf?

As I reported in a thread several months ago - I asked the Hyundai UK i30 product manager whether the new diesel car would have a DMF.

She confirmed that like the previous diesel model (2007 onwards) it would be fitted with a DMF. She also mentioned that the DMF had a good reliability record.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Do you even bother to read what is writen?  :winker:

First 1.6 story, and now DPF. Its DMF, not DPF. We talk here about flywheels not particle filters
Far too many abbreviations IMO.
That's why I prefaced my comment with a not being a diesel owner. hence the question. It's called seeking clarification.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm completely AAL, TBH.
IMHO we need a list of abbr's to make it easier for us all to understand what the heck is happening as I'm T.C. and I'm pos I'm not the only 1.
  • Tertius the i30

Xamaxy
Funny, same source, main hyundai dealership said 1.6 crdi doesnt have significant torque and vibrations to need DMF thats why they are fitted with cheaper SMF while 2.0CRDi comes with DMF which in theory last as long as car itself.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal