i30 Owners Club

Fumes in Car

Offline Yorkrose

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cronulla New South Wales
I have had my 2011 i30 SX for two months now. On numerous ocassions whilst driving I have noticed that the fumes from the catalyctic converter are coming in to the cabin. It's been so bad that even my grandchildren have complained about it. The air vents have been switched to interior circulation. It makes no difference if the air conditioning is on or off. Could it be that it needs some filter cleaning or some other adjustment? Has anyone had a similar occurence?
  • i30 FD Auto Sedan 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can't say I have heard of that before  .. I would be getting it checked thoroughly by the dealer (sounds like a health and safety issue)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This needs looking at.

Why do you specifically mention the catalytic converter, do you have any issues with this device. The catalytic converter is just part of the exhaust system and if operating correctly, can only pass gasses to the rear muffler and then out the tail pipe. This is the ONLY allowable exit point for exhaust gases. For fumes to be present in the car gasses would have to enter from the rear hatch seal, door seals or an open window. All these need checking IMO.

I have never smelt any exhaust at all whilst in the car at any time.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Yorkrose

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cronulla New South Wales
I mentioned the catalytic converter as the smell that comes into the car is the same smell that you sometimes get from vehicle exhausts.  It is like a rotten egg gas. Not being mechanically minded I can only point it to that source. It appears to come from under the dash of the vehicle. It is not noticeable if the windows are down. I doubt that it is coming from door or window seals.
  • i30 FD Auto Sedan 2011

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The rotten egg smell, is hydrogen sulphide, a component of petrol combustion I'm afraid. I believe it comes from fuel that has a high sulphur content depending on its geological origin. The catalytic converter is supposed to be sealed as I previously mentioned, however, if you feel it is coming from the dash area then the dealer should do a detailed inspection of the whole exhaust system as there may be a gasket fault in that area. Usually, there will be tell tale signs of gas leakage.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Yorkrose

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cronulla New South Wales
So it's possible that there may be a worn seal or gasket around the exhaust system. Back to the dealer, I think. Many thanks to all for your help.
  • i30 FD Auto Sedan 2011

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal