i30 Owners Club

Crooze control

Guest · 34 · 12951

Offline oomjan

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'd like to have cruise control fitted (do a lot of country drivin). I don't like the tack on aftermarket module - looks and feels like something out of a kids Lego set! One of those Korean import online sites has the OEM steering wheel module (they fit in RHS of wheel as per the SLX spec PETROL model). Anyone know if it's possible to retro fit a cruise control but using the OEM module?
  • i30

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
i think most of the early slx diesel buyers all want cruise :P

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I'd like to have cruise control fitted (do a lot of country drivin). I don't like the tack on aftermarket module - looks and feels like something out of a kids Lego set! One of those Korean import online sites has the OEM steering wheel module (they fit in RHS of wheel as per the SLX spec PETROL model). Anyone know if it's possible to retro fit a cruise control but using the OEM module?

yes they have designed the OEM kit to be able to be fitted to the early cars (or SXs for that matter).

It's mainly the control mechanisms (switches etc) and a software change. Because the CRDi has drive-by-wire, there is no need for any hardware changes under the bonnet.

However, I would use genuine parts and get a dealer to do it. If you stuff around with buying in imported stuff and getting it fitted by non-experts, you're leaving yourself in danger of having it not work properly and even worse, having warranty issues. Even if you fit OEM parts it's very easy to find out whether the car was built with it.

It will be more expensive but losing your warranty would spoil your day. ;o)

ouri30
I'd love to have cruise control fitted to my Slx CRDi.  If Hyundai are able to offer it as an option to be added to ouri30, I'd seriously consider it.  We've just purchased a Santa Fe CRDi Auto with cruise control and it is great on our flat country roads.

Bob

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I'd love to have cruise control fitted to my Slx CRDi.  If Hyundai are able to offer it as an option to be added to ouri30, I'd seriously consider it.  We've just purchased a Santa Fe CRDi Auto with cruise control and it is great on our flat country roads.

Bob
It was rolled out standard on SLX CRDis about a month before I left, and as I was considering an SLX diesel at the time I asked the service people whether they would be making it available as a retro-fit to the cars that were already built without it. They said yes, they would. I ended up buying the SR so it was moot to me anyway, but no doubt it could be done. Can't say how much it would cost though!  :wink:

Cruise is especially suited to the diesel, it works really well with the torque the CRDi has. Recommended, depending how much you want to spend. Do give the aftermarket ones a miss tho.  :rolleyes:

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I'll have to talk to my dealership about this. my cars 4k away from 30k service and ill be seeing them late next month anyways.... might have to see if this can be done when the car is serviced if possible

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
had an after market on fitted professionally to my 08 diesel. great unit no issues. cost $1000 aussie in a remote country town. model AP (auto pilot) 800 plus matching CM30 paddle.

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
sorry new at this, called Auto Pilot (aust) after looking on Ebay and being totally confused, and confirmed local supplier and fitter. They will not sell to public for self fitment. Must be fitted by certified operator. Will supply pics when possible, at work at the momement will be back tomorrow night (perth time). not much to take pics of though, unit is very stealth up beside the foot throttle. Only real evidence is the stalk on the steering column.

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
Wrote a big spiel but lost it somehow, pic of stalk is attached. In general, suppliers will not let the public buy a unit for self fitment due to laws regarding aftermarket CC's. If you do manage to find an AP800 then be aware that you will need a harness to fit the I30. This is where I had my problem. I could find plenty of cheap AP800's on ebay but could not find anybody around the world to supply me with the correct harness. Lucky I did some homework first because I would have been left with a completely useless unit if I jumped straight in. The unit it self is an easy fit because it is basically a plug and play unit. The hardest thing is to fit the stalk. Mine is fitted on the left hand of the steering wheel. The stalk has a left and right hand operation so it works as per normal on either side of the steering column. The only downfall of the unit is that it remembers your last setting for ever. Embarassing when you go to set it in a low speed zone and accidently hit resume instead. The turbo launches you to the 100kph you had set on the freeway last week.

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Hi,
The question is for the minds of electronics of the forum!
How easy is to buy and install the factory fitted cruise control switches (on the right side of the steering wheel) and combine with the aftermarket unit such as AP800 ?

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Could be done if you want to spend big $$$ adding the required parts changing the resistor values in the factory switch changing the clock spring for Airbags etc....

I like the Command stalk.....looks fine...!!....I have one....

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi MRH130. I can't find a dealer in Canberra to retrofit a factry unit. They always point me in the direction of approved aftermarket installers that they themselves. Could you tell me the name of your former dealership. I would be prepared to travel to Sydney (I presume) to get this done.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi MRH130 ... Could you tell me the name of your former dealership ...

Sadly, Michael hasn't visited our forums (as MRH130) since October last year. Maybe an email will reach him?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Shambles. I had sent an email to him last week, but had no reply. I figured he might have changed his address or he couldn't be bothered. Anyway I tried again using your link just in case. You wouldn't know where he used to work would you?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... You wouldn't know where he used to work would you?

Sorry, no. If anyone knows that it would be Dazz, but that's just a guess.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Shambles. I'll see if I can annoy him now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can't help with where michael used to work sorry.. I'm guessing either an ACT or New South Wales Hyundai dealer...Made several attempts but was unable to raise him  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Dazzler. I might have to call some NSW dealerships. If I uncover anything I'll place it in the forum.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...If I uncover anything I'll place it in the forum.

If anyone can uncover anything, it's definitely you :P :D

Cheers. Let us know if Michael responds too, as I for one do miss the blighter :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler. I might have to call some NSW dealerships. If I uncover anything I'll place it in the forum.

He used to drive a white i30 SR called Crystal rego number MRH 130 and there is a picture of him posted on the site here (post #71)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1946.0.html

Offline Victim

• 1st Gear
Have a look at www.cruisecontrol.com.au they do a kit with factory switching and the rest of the kit is manufactered with OEM style plugs for a very factory install.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
looks nice but i can not see how it is easier to use, just nicer to look at.
i have had the non fashionable aftermarket CC over two years and i feels ok to me works ok and suits the no frills SX. if i was buying today maybe i would coose this but having used CC in different cars that does not look like the best set up to use by feel keeping eye on the road.

Offline Victim

• 1st Gear
looks nice but i can not see how it is easier to use, just nicer to look at.
i have had the non fashionable aftermarket CC over two years and i feels ok to me works ok and suits the no frills SX. if i was buying today maybe i would coose this but having used CC in different cars that does not look like the best set up to use by feel keeping eye on the road.

I find it quiet Bizaar that anyone would argue against the Genuine Hyundai options and would argue on the side of a universal one size fits all kit. each to thier own i guess.

Offline cafstar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
I had my dealership put in a cruise control, with the sx manual wagon. Its not that great to look at, but its pretty inconspicuous, and very easy to use. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Offline cafstar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
This is the cruise fitted to my car. its not fancy, but it is easy to use and (so far) reliable. The led to the right of the ESP button is the cruise indicator led.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the picture cafstar.. I like the look of it (as you say pretty neat and looks easy to use.. )

My new car has the cruise on a stalk behind the wheel in about the same position but probably a bit harder harder to use at night than your setup.. :cool:

Offline cafstar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Thanks for the picture cafstar.. I like the look of it (as you say pretty neat and looks easy to use.. )

My new car has the cruise on a stalk behind the wheel in about the same position but probably a bit harder harder to use at night than your setup.. :cool:

No problems. Every time I mod something, there'll be a picture to accompany it. No matter how awful the mod... my gear nob is the latest, but the pics in a different thread.

The only thing I don't like about the cruise control is the (lack of) responsiveness. But i think this is endemic to all cruise systems. You hit accelerate or decelerate and you have to wait a few seconds for a response form the car.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
we have the same cruise control on the site ute at work... god knows why they put cruise on it!

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Hey cafstar,

we ordered our SX CRDi with cruise, but as there wasn't a single red one with factory cruise in the country, we had to pay extra and get it installed by the dealer before we pick it up. $895 for our cruise, vs $400 for factory cruise + fog lights.

Touch unhappy about that turn of events, but cruise is an important feature for us (wife is from Rockhampton area, so 6-7 hr drives happen every so often).

Just a question on your cruise though - is the one pictured the $895 one? Or is it a different aftermarket job?

Cheers,

GM

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal