i30 Owners Club

CRDI Tuning

Zhangster · 67 · 32615

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Thumper being the only one thats apparently had some sort of play (lots of smoke here cant see exactly what/how) so his name comes up alot, however most of his playing seem to have been to limit the i30's fuel supply to get better range which he apparently did, with the help of finding a sweet spot of sorts to get better fuel economy from IAT which apparently he did its not something ive got the time or desire it investigate at the moment.

I can tell you right now that Thumper didn't just use the box for economy. He gave a very nice demo during the Blue Mountains meet back in Jan, what the car could do when set to performance mode. Even in this mode he still had better economy than stock, plus reduced IAT for some reason.........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Daniel, if i remember, thumper said he made a compleat exhast system just a pipe from turbo back, but did not use it all the time. if i am not mistaken i think he said he had that system on to test when he did that run. that could acount for lower Manifold temps( maybe) but i also rember Thumper talking in a round about way that not many would understand what he was saying, but i took it to mean he fitted water meth injection, this will definately lower intake manifold temps. this is used a lot with forced induction .
just how i read it, i could be wrong.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John...

I like that...

"Take my Advice ( i'm not useing it anyway )"

and the new avatar... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
well i can tell you i found in croatia one place that does tuning of i30 crdi 116 hp very nice

there are two versions...

116 HP / 255 nm -> 140 HP / 307 nm  -> 300 Euros
116 HP / 255 nm -> 158 HP / 322 nm -> 500 Euros

i checked them out.. they are first hand for Bosch service and parts in Croatia. Everyone has to buy from them... and few firends told me that theyr service was clean as a lab :)

I asked my Hyundai service... he told me i'm prety safe with tuning to 158 HP .. he know my habits of driving :)... he is first choice and only place for tuning hyundai in croatia if you want done it properly... they've done 10+ hyundai conversions to turbo.. and latest is v6 2.7 coupe with supercharger .. and this thing fly's..... :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i can tell you i found in croatia one place that does tuning of i30 crdi 116 hp very nice

there are two versions...

116 HP / 255 nm -> 140 HP / 307 nm  -> 300 Euros
116 HP / 255 nm -> 158 HP / 322 nm -> 500 Euros

i checked them out.. they are first hand for Bosch service and parts in Croatia. Everyone has to buy from them... and few firends told me that theyr service was clean as a lab :)

I asked my Hyundai service... he told me i'm prety safe with tuning to 158 HP .. he know my habits of driving :)... he is first choice and only place for tuning hyundai in croatia if you want done it properly... they've done 10+ hyundai conversions to turbo.. and latest is v6 2.7 coupe with supercharger .. and this thing fly's..... :D

Sounds good andrejs, let us know how it goes, also how economy is. why do they quote power in HP not KW? normally you see KW/NM but if it is HP they will measure the TQ in foot pound, if you measure power in KW the number will look lower than measuring in HP, and same goes for Foot Pound of Torque you get a lower number measureing in Ft Lb than in nm like 630nm is only about 450Ft Lb of TQ, i normally like to use HP/Ft Lb  as thats what i have mostly always used Dyno Testing.
keep us up to date on how your car goes and what tune you went with, is this an ECU program upgrade? or a tuning box?

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
If you run more than 140bhp, you will either have to much black smoke or your turbo won't last to long.
Because the I30/Ceed has a GT1544VB turbo, that handles 1.5bar as max boost. If you go over that pressure, your turbo won't last more than 1000Km!
That pressure on a well tuned dyno, with good fuel feeding hands out ~140Bhp and 300Nm (this values are with 1.575bar of peak boost), so.. that 2nd version is not safe at all!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So you are saying 22psi boost is maxium safe boost pressure for the turbo the i30 CRDi comes with?

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
The stock peak pressure is 1.3Bar (18.85Psi). If you don't want any trouble with the turbo you should not go over 1.5Bar (21.75Psi). With this pressure you're still in the "safe zone".
1.6bar (23.02PSi) depending on your driving style.. the turbo will not last to long!

I've been there....

ouri30
The stock peak pressure is 1.3Bar (18.85Psi). If you don't want any trouble with the turbo you should not go over 1.5Bar (21.75Psi). With this pressure you're still in the "safe zone".
1.6bar (23.02PSi) depending on your driving style.. the turbo will not last to long!

I've been there....

I've not changed the boost in any way.  According to the Scanguage II I have fitted, I've seen boost pressures in excess of 30psi under acceleration.  Normal driving gives me around 16.5psi.  As soon as the a/c cuts in this rises to around 18psi.

Now, the pressures I refer to are in effect much less when you take off the atmospheric pressure of around 14.5psi.

Which pressure are we referring to here?  Intake manafold pressure or intake manafold pressure - atmosphic pressure.

Bob

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bob, i saw that too, but i think you would need a specialty gauge like a liquid filled Auto Meter boost gauge to get 100% accurate readings to really know, specially if you have changed boost from stock. i was thinking about fitting one of those gauges ( good tool)
like this  http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5411.cfm

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
Lakes,
that would be a very good idea.

ouri30,
I mean the intake manafold pressure. Here is what happens when you give it to much pressure:

It can get worse, if the oil reaches the engine it will self detonate, and the car will rev to max rpm.... till it blows:

If you turn it off, it will still run. Best thing to do is put a high gear (4th or 5th) and just release the clutch.

ouri30
ouri30,
I mean the intake manafold pressure. Here is what happens when you give it to much pressure:

Ok.  The MAP reported by the Scanguage II is 16.5psi with minimal acceleration.  Medium acceleration is low 20psi and full acceleration without flogging it is 30+psi.  I'm not one to push it to the max just to see what I can get as a maximum MAP.

I would assume the MAP I am observing are well within the limits set by the ECU. These figures are outside the figures you have indicated as safe.  

As an adjunct to this, the MAP I am seening on my Santa Fe CRDi 2.2 are slightly higher than those of the i30.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just reporting what I am observing.  Anyone with a Scanguage fitted can confirm the readings I am getting.

Bob

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
to Lakes: in Croatia we use HP and NM ... kw is in official papers, but everyone talks in HP not kw :D
i'll problably be doing chip tuning in fall, cose i'm geting married in august (second time... whis me luck :D ) so every extra bit of money is going towards that for now... i hope to have it tuned by october.. and then i'll decide whice map i'll use :D
and this is ECU software update over OBDII interface

to freakzoide: i know there is diferent turbine in i30... for 90 HP and 115 HP .. whcih one did you get.. i was browsing garret web site and found out that turbine used in i30 is rated for 150 HP and engine size from 1.0 to 1.6 L so... 8 HP extra should not be a problem

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
Ok.  The MAP reported by the Scanguage II is 16.5psi with minimal acceleration.  Medium acceleration is low 20psi and full acceleration without flogging it is 30+psi.  I'm not one to push it to the max just to see what I can get as a maximum MAP.
I would assume the MAP I am observing are well within the limits set by the ECU. These figures are outside the figures you have indicated as safe.  
As an adjunct to this, the MAP I am seening on my Santa Fe CRDi 2.2 are slightly higher than those of the i30.

Those values are EXTREMELY high (for a standar car)! Your readings probably have some problems, (some configuration must be wrong).
The WTCC cars run at 2.5Bar which is ~36Psi. Here a video of a 2.0Tdi engine:

On a VNT17 Turbo (capable of more bost), instead of the VNT15 that the I30/Ceed have!

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just reporting what I am observing.
:) No problem. It's a forum... everyone should give their input on issues! :)

andrejs,
I have a 115bhp Kia Ceed (remaped). It's a I30 on a different body shell. From what I've read from a Kia mechanic on a different forum, the only difference on the 90bhp and the 115bhp is only electronics!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Freakzoide, thanks for posting, it is always good to know your limits. there is a limit for everything, metalurgists and engineers, break things to learn there limits. i had a friend that designed pistons, he had a special engine dyno room that was built to withstand a lot, he would run motors on it, and take reading then increase loads and pressures till he had piston failure.
two weeks ago i saw a top fuel Dragster Hydralic the motor ( after breaking traction under load) was a young racer, when the fueler broke traction she did not back off kept it wide open and it blow the top right off the block like a bomb. no warranty on that one :lol:
cheers

Hey Andrejs all the best & good luck on your upcoming marrage  :)

ouri30

Those values are EXTREMELY high (for a standar car)! Your readings probably have some problems, (some configuration must be wrong).
The WTCC cars run at 2.5Bar which is ~36Psi. Here a video of a 2.0Tdi engine:

On a VNT17 Turbo (capable of more bost), instead of the VNT15 that the I30/Ceed have!

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just reporting what I am observing.
:) No problem. It's a forum... everyone should give their input on issues! :)

andrejs,
I have a 115bhp Kia Ceed (remaped). It's a I30 on a different body shell. From what I've read from a Kia mechanic on a different forum, the only difference on the 90bhp and the 115bhp is only electronics!

I really don't think there is a problem with my figures.  As I understand it, you need to take atmosphic pressure (around 14.5psi) off the MPA pressure to get the real boost pressure.  I suspect your figures refer to the difference between MAP pressure and atmospheric pressure (boost pressure). 

Hence 30psi MAP is 15.5psi boost (the difference between MAP and atmospheric pressure).  The ECU doesn't know the atmospheric pressure and reports MAP as the pressure inside the intake, but the real boost is the difference.

That is my understanding of boost and was also the opinion of Thumper in a posting somewhere else on this forum.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I really don't think there is a problem with my figures.  As I understand it, you need to take atmosphic pressure (around 14.5psi) off the MPA pressure to get the real boost pressure.  I suspect your figures refer to the difference between MAP pressure and atmospheric pressure (boost pressure). 

Hence 30psi MAP is 15.5psi boost (the difference between MAP and atmospheric pressure).  The ECU doesn't know the atmospheric pressure and reports MAP as the pressure inside the intake, but the real boost is the difference.

That is my understanding of boost and was also the opinion of Thumper in a posting somewhere else on this forum.

Bob

Hi Bob.. that sounds logical to me   :) (but what do I know... :P)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bob te scangauge tells manifold pressure, the turbo builds up the pressure, but this gauge i showed tells both normal manifold vacume and it tell's turbo boost, the pressure at the turbo is what Freakzoide is talking about, the total pressure in the intake manifold is not the load the turbine has to support its the boost pressure, the GT in model means it uses ball bearings, they spin more freely but don't take high loads. but i'm just useing common sence i'm no expert, just trying to explain it as i see it.

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
ouri30 ,
Yep.. it seems we're talking about different things! And I think Lakes nailed the problem! :)

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi!
I am planning to buy this tuning box for my car.

http://www.kcr.se/render_page_vs.asp?pageid=33&vehicleid=2194

It is expensive, but they have 30 days money back if not satisfied, 2 years warranty and they have a 80.000 km engine warranty (in Sweden).
Power increase: 140hp>160hp. Torque increase: 305Nm>355Nm.

It is a lot of money, so i have not decided yet....
Any suggestions?

Cheers:
SRT Metro
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi!

It is expensive, but they have 30 days money back if not satisfied, 2 years warranty and they have a 80.000 km engine warranty (in Sweden).

Any suggestions?

Cheers:
SRT Metro

You are right .. it is not cheap... around A$1150 or

650 euros

The tuning box Shambles uses (and is happy with) was about quarter of that I think..

The warranty and money back offers are good but you won't know if they are genuine until you need to act on them  :idea:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The tuning box Shambles uses (and is happy with) was about quarter of that I think..
Absolutely happy with. I removed it for her second service tomorrow (I asked them to check for ECU upgrades, so didn't want the device *ahem* present). Makes such a difference to the drive with it disconnected. I collect her tomorrow after the 25K mile service.

Was so sluggish today compared with the boost you get with a low-end "fooled you" electrickery box attached :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi!

Any suggestions?

Cheers:
SRT Metro

thats a big power and Torque increase they claim. is this for a 2.0 CRDi?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I removed it for her second service tomorrow (I asked them to check for ECU upgrades, so didn't want the device *ahem* present). Makes such a difference to the drive with it disconnected. I collect her tomorrow after the 25K mile service.

Any upgrades I need to be aware of?
If so, did it run any better than before?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Any upgrades I need to be aware of?
If so, did it run any better than before?

Nothing was showing on their system when I asked them earlier tonight.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

Thank you Shambles for the info about your tuning box....
I found one on Ebay UK for my car.... Price very good... 87 GBP + 9 GBP for postage to Sweden.
Power increase: 140hp>165hp. Torque increase: 305Nm>360Nm. Topspeed 205km/h>217km/h.
Can i mount it on a brand new car with only 1500km on the speedo or should i wait a while before i mount it?

Cheers:
SRT Metro
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can i mount it on a brand new car with only 1500km on the speedo or should i wait a while before i mount it?

Why wait? The benefits will be felt immediately.

Just make sure to set the dial to around the 9 o'clock mark. Some members have fitted the tuningbox without setting the booster dial :)

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

I will remember that....
Thanks again...

SRT Metro
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

thats a big power and Torque increase they claim. is this for a 2.0 CRDi?

Yes, it is for a 2.0 CRDi.
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

ouri30
Found - Another alternative if considering a tuning upgrade for your i30.
I'm not suggesting this is a better option than any that have already been found or put forward.  It is just another alternative. 

Interestingly, it is not a plug'n'play option - it is a reprogramming of the ECU (or PCM) even though the name "Powerchip" gives the impression it is an add-on chip.  The 1.6 CRDi version costs more than the 2.0 diesel version.  I found this when researching possible upgrades for the Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi.

There are some petrol engined versions available, but none seem to be for the i30 petrol.

Here's the link to the website http://www.powerchipgroup.com/index.asp.  Just select the year, the make and the model to see the specs.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal