i30 Owners Club

Time to get their number

Guest · 232 · 49274

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Where there's a will, there's a way, Rusty.  ;)
Minority group?  :undecided:
I wouldn't call motorcyclists a minority group. Far from it, in fact.
The members of the Fair Treatment of South American Bats Association - that's a minority group.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The members of the Fair Treatment of South American Bats Association - that's a minority group.  :)

I thought it was "where there's a will there's a relative"....  :undecided:

Motorcycles make up around 4.5 % of registered vehicles in Australia, Dave...so yeah, I'd call them a minority...

It ain't going to happen guys.  There will be no plates fitted to the frint of motor bikes.  if it was going to happen, it would have.

Just accept it.

I hope you're right.... :undecided:

A suspicious person might even think there was foul play involved by the Victorian Police to distract/influence our pollies when they make a decision on the parliamentary inquiry into motorcycle & scooter safety report this month.... :undecided:  :whistler:

Surely not?  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I thought it was "where there's a will there's a relative"....  :undecided:

Motorcycles make up around 4.5 % of registered vehicles in Australia, Dave...so yeah, I'd call them a minority...

According to the 2012 census, there are some 709,000+ motorbikes registered in Australia.
That is NOT a minority group. Even more bikes than trucks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I just looked...12 714 235  passenger vehicles

Still a minority in my book....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And how many cars, Dave?  :whistler:
700,000 isn't a minority group.Electric cars would be a minority group.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Of course, many, many more, as you'd expect.
But gee, hardly a minority group even though you'd probably like to think you are.
Mono cycles - a minority group.
One legged marathon runners - a minority group.
Blind dart players - a minority group.
But motorcyclists? In Australia?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems someone needs to look up the meaning of minority....  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I know what minority group means.
But as I said, you aren't in one (not for riding a motorbike, anyway).  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I knew you'd come around, eventually.  :D  :P
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I did come around....to thinking you don't know what a minority is...  :P

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
ain't going to happen guys.  There will be no plates fitted to the frint of motor bikes.  if it was going to happen, it would have.

Agree there will be no plates. There will however be stickers. It will happen, they are working on it prototypes are being trialled. Also the ADR people are working up something as well and we should all be afraid of that because whatever they decide there is no going back.

Also in the report is the collaboration with the WA folks and an explanation of why front/back cameras don't do the job hence the desire to label the front. RFID tags are not able to be permanently mounted, they are out as well. Maybe if they stick a chip behind the drivers ear, but I think that's going to far.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 14:04:06 by keith_h »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Which report are you referring to, Keith?  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I could solve the problem quite easily and no one would have the need to display any number plates,every vehicle in Australia by a certain date must be fitted with a transponder(which all have their own individual indentity number),govenrments could sell off all their speed camera's they could install thousands of transponder scanners,telling no one where they are installed,they can be set for a certain speed,if you exceed that speed your number is read and you are sent a fine, it is in disputable,no two transponders have the same identity and once they are read by a fix scanner it would be up to the owner to dob in the culprit.

But I'm with Rusty on one thing,just update the camera's, so their all rear reading,you'll get everyone then,or again go to the transponder system,no one gets away with them,I go one further to,we have unmarked cars out on the roads,lets also have unmarked bikes as well.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
http://www.mravic.org.au/forum/modules/docmanager/get_file.php?curent_file=452&curent_dir=31

This one you posted earlier which is what I've been quoting from. All the research is there and frankly much of it makes good sense and debunks a lot of the media spin. Many of the questions raised in this discussion, addressed in the report. In summary:

On the topic of speed and safety, researchers demonstrate an undeniable link. Traffic management strategies conclude that driver behavior needs to  be modified to minimise the risk. Cameras are one such mechanism. The cameras that capture front and rear have problems with motorbikes. Hence the desire to be able to identify them from the front. Many people cite safety as an objection to placing identification on the front of a bike based on a situation that no longer exists and yet present no evidence to back up the assertion. Many people are suspicious its a revenue raising tactic. Many options have been considered, adhesive stickers are the preferred way to ID bikes from the front. Etc. 

This is all from the report, not my opinion. The report is worth reading if anyone has an interest in the topic and wants to be informed. The remaining articles are less objective.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ta keith, I did wonder if that was the one you were talking about... :undecided:

Just be aware though that it's dated back from 2001 and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.
 VicRoads has since spent a number of years and a heap of cash trying to come up with ways to fit front number plates without success and the buck was then passed to Queensland to try to come up with some kind of electronic method of identifying motorcycles from the roadside.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Ta keith, I did wonder if that was the one you were talking about... :undecided:

Just be aware though that it's dated back from 2001 and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.
 VicRoads has since spent a number of years and a heap of cash trying to come up with ways to fit front number plates without success and the buck was then passed to Queensland to try to come up with some kind of electronic method of identifying motorcycles from the roadside.

Good point on the age of the report and subsequent effort.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I wouldn't hold your breath Dave  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
im sure everyone with a bike has given it a blast past a backwards facing speed camera just to see it flash...

and if you ride a bike, dont say you havent... everyone hates the speed cameras and it feels good to get one back at them!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

im sure everyone with a bike has given it a blast past a backwards facing speed camera just to see it flash...

and if you ride a bike, dont say you havent... everyone hates the speed cameras and it feels good to get one back at them!!

:lol: Nice twist on this topic Ian  :goodjob:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
out there there would be a few good ones of others obviously *shifty eyes*... i bet doing the finger to a camera didnt make mr police comissioner too happy.

imagine his response, THIS IS A BLATANT DISREGARD OF RESPECT!!

i jsut wish to point something out here...

every vehicle in Australia by a certain date must be fitted with a transponder

they could install thousands of transponder scanners,telling no one where they are installed,they can be set for a certain speed,if you exceed that speed your number is read and you are sent a fine,

OHH SWEET JESUS!! WHAT DRUGS ARE YOU ON!! MY GOD!!!

NO, NO, NO, NO!!! AND AGAIN NO!!

Moderator Comment final sentence snipped

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I wouldn't hold your breath Dave  :undecided:

Sorry mate, can't come around to something I know is wrong....  :rolleyes:

I haven't..... :rolleyes:

Not all motorcycle riders flout the road laws, Ian....

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I haven't..... :rolleyes:

Not all motorcycle riders flout the road laws, Ian....

eh...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

we should all be making a stand against speed cameras removed

Really.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
have you ever seen a speed camera stop crime? intercept a shipment of drugs? prevent a murder? have you ever gone to a speed camera to report somone breaking in to your house? has a speed camera ever found your stolen car NO of course not...

a speed camera does NOTHING for society, it does not prevent anything, it does not solve anything it does not help you when you have been robbed. its 100% revenue and nothing else

BUT WAIT, that revenue gets put to good use? ive literally seen 5 road upgrades with "paid for by speed camera" signs on them... and they were ALL simple resurfacing of the road... what about the police officer sitting in the car, on overtime?? ohh they dont tell you that do they? thats right 4 fat hours of overtime, to sit down and do NOTHING.

GET OUT THERE IN A MARKED CAR AND DRIVE AROUND, actually prevent crime, rather than making criminals of people for something so minor. its all a lie and a sham.

and for the record ive NEVER had a speeding fine or any infringment on my driving record.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sorry,I do not normally like defending the authorities,I know a few Police officers and believe me I wouldn't do their job in a pink fit,like ANY work place yes you will have your malingerers and bludgers,but most are like the rest of us hard workers,JUST DOING THEIR JOBS, yes I'm not that keen on speed camera's but if I'm caught,I am more mad at myself for being a dickhead and breaking the law,it's not the speed camera's fault for me breaking the law.

As for saying what sort of drugs am I on for wanting transponders,sorry but I am not the one blasting through speed camera's just because I can,as I have no front number plate or giving a camera the finger because I have no way of getting caught,sorry but that to me is the actions of a coward not willing the face the consequences of their actions,sorry but most PPL who complain the loudest are those who are the most likely to break the law.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
what about the police officer sitting in the car, on overtime?? ohh they dont tell you that do they? thats right 4 fat hours of overtime, to sit down and do NOTHING.

Pretty sure mobile speed cameras are operated by civilians, not the police, Ian...  :undecided:

Police Officers are free to sit behind their desk shuffling paperwork...  :lol: :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
what about the police officer sitting in the car, on overtime?? ohh they dont tell you that do they? thats right 4 fat hours of overtime, to sit down and do NOTHING.

Pretty sure mobile speed cameras are operated by civilians, not the police, Ian...  :undecided:

Police Officers are free to sit behind their desk shuffling paperwork...  :lol: :whistler:
If they are then up here the civilians are wearing borrowed police uniforms.
And that last line is an insult to police officers everywhere.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If they are then up here the civilians are wearing borrowed police uniforms.
And that last line is an insult to police officers everywhere.

I think he was joking Trev  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal