i30 Owners Club

Roof Rack / Capacity - Kayak

dammit · 15 · 6233

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
I am trying to find out the capacity of the i30 for roof rack. Is there a manufacturer imposed capacity, or is it up to the individual hardware/third party roof racks to specify this?

I checked the car manual but it doesn't list a roof capacity.

I am trying to find out if the car is equipped to carry my large kayak, which weighs 86kg (190lbs). The length of the kayak is 5.6m / 18'6". Don't know if this is way too big for such a small car?

I have a 5 door i30 2012 Trophy 2.0L if that helps!
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked in the last few months by someone else. If I can find the thread I will post a link here.

My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be a problem, but don't sue me! :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Here you go , had the same problem.:link: maximum roof load on 2014 GD hatch i30 petrol Includes Dazzler's input as well. :rofl: :rofl: and Wabbit showed actual illustrations to help. :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:19:51 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Ah cheers for that! 80kg... So I wonder if an extra 6kg is going to break the bank.....

I am actually a bit more concerned about the length. Seems 5.5m is very long with only a 1m "spread" between cross bars and a 4.5m car?
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Ah cheers for that! 80kg... So I wonder if an extra 6kg is going to break the bank.....

I am actually a bit more concerned about the length. Seems 5.5m is very long with only a 1m "spread" between cross bars and a 4.5m car?

I would not think so weight wise. i expect there would be some safety margin in those figures. If it was me I would go for it but don't quote me. Not sure how you would go insurance wise though. Cant help you length wise as I am not sure of permitted o/hang.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
86kg kayak :Shocked: is it made of wood :snigger:

My brother has a double ocean kayak and that's only 32kg

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^I'm surprised by the weight too. Mine is a single, sit in, ocean kayak about 16 ft long and comes in just under 30 kegs.
The length is ok but I won't go driving down the highway at 110kph.
Fortunately up here on the Sunny Coast, there's plenty of nearby waterways.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Yup 86kg's...its a sailing kayak. I managed to find a fellow with a similar set-up on an i30. He had a front steel bar mounted to the cross-member of his i30 to add extra support.

I'm not 100% confident a kayak of this size/weight could be safely carried on the i30 without the extra support, although technically it should be capable?

Hopefully he won't mind me showing you all his pic:
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you have the front support bar as well then that would take a fair portion of the weight, you'd be good to go :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: Looks like it needs that bar for length more than weight!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I wouldn't carry an 86 kg kayak on a set of bars with a weight limit of only 80 kg.  Your insurance would be void to begin with.  You haven't used the vehicle in accordance with manufacturers specifications.  Also, if an accident did occur, and somebody was injured, you would be up for costs, not the compulsory third party insurance.

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
FatBoy - the book or specifications don't actually mention anything about the roof capacity though in Australia. We are only going off some info on a UK specifications to establish that....? From what I can see in Australia there are no specifications imposed by manufacturer (Hyundai) relating to roof rack capacity? It's not like trailer capacity which is clearly documented. Maybe I should email Hyundai asking them officially. Others have mentioned though that they under-estimate/err on the side of caution.

Obviously though I want to be safe and do the right thing, so would need to be 300% positive that it was stable, safe and correct. I can possibly remove some parts to get it to 80kg as opposed to 86kg for the roof. I would just need to ensure the roof rack bars I buy were rated to say 100kg or higher (which I think most are, even that weight rating per bar??) so it is over-engineered and extra safe/stable.
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just checked Rola and they're only rated to 30 kg.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Rhino's are 75kg rated :link: Fit My Car | Rhino-Rack so if the front support bar can take another 20kg's to spread the load you would be fine.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Just put Rola racks on Mr's car, rated at 30kg. (PER BAR)
But no way would I carry that big thing on i-30 racks, front supported or not.
The mounting bolts into the car's roof structure are puny, M6.
Get some windage from a passing truck or similar and that whole lot will rip right off the car.
In previous vehicles I've carried rowing sculls thousands of K's.
They're quite light and although they were all front bar and tow bar supported due to the length, every time a truck went passed I thought this time she's gone.
The racks BTW were much, much stronger than Rola racks.
  • i-30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal