i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks great Mark!  :goodjob2: :goodjob: Well done.. and Welcome BTW  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
mmjlw

It loooks as though you may have front parking sensors on your car. If so - are they standard OEM ones on your model - or are they after-market ones?

Did you have them fitted yourself?

In Australia front parking sensors are standard in the premium model I believe.

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I managed to fix the dim DRL issue on my car.. Quite by accident actually.
I recently upgraded the stereo, and we needed to run extra earth straps from the battery to the body and engine, in order to flow enough current to the amplifiers.
And after we did that, guess what started glowing brighter...? The car also became lots more responsive at lower rpm. How strange..

The factory earth strap is bolted to a flimsy bit of steel you can flex with your fingers. The car now has three earths in total.

I didn't think it would make a difference with LED lights as they draw such a small amount of power but it seems to :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is great news Ross... :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do I remember that the solution to headlight failure was supposed to be a poor earth situation. I suggest we all investigate our cars to see whether the factory earth is sub standard.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
.. I recently upgraded the stereo, and we needed to run extra earth straps from the battery to the body and engine, in order to flow enough current to the amplifiers.
And after we did that, guess what started glowing brighter...? The car also became lots more responsive at lower rpm. How strange..

The factory earth strap is bolted to a flimsy bit of steel you can flex with your fingers. The car now has three earths in total.

I didn't think it would make a difference with LED lights as they draw such a small amount of power but it seems to :)
Does the starter motor run a separate earth? If it shares a common earth with all the rest then I'm wondering why you needed more current capability than the starter. I'm completely at a loss to understand how the engine's response would benefit as well.

There must be something else going on here.

Offline mmjlw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
mmjlw

It loooks as though you may have front parking sensors on your car. If so - are they standard OEM ones on your model - or are they after-market ones?

Did you have them fitted yourself?

Yes I got Front parking sensors, I ordered the OEM ones but the car dealership stuffed up the order and fitted aftermarket ones,  not happy but it is what it is. 
  • 2012 I30 CRDI Premium

Offline mmjlw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Looks great Mark!  :goodjob2: :goodjob: Well done.. and Welcome BTW  :happydance:

Thanks Its a great forum and I'm loving the new I30, I have just come out of a Holden VE SSV V8 and I recom my I30 is better.
  • 2012 I30 CRDI Premium

Offline mmjlw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I recently upgraded the stereo, and we needed to run extra earth straps from the battery to the body and engine, in order to flow enough current to the amplifiers.

No not standard. 
  • 2012 I30 CRDI Premium

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
.. I recently upgraded the stereo, and we needed to run extra earth straps from the battery to the body and engine, in order to flow enough current to the amplifiers.

Does the starter motor run a separate earth? If it shares a common earth with all the rest then I'm wondering why you needed more current capability than the starter. I'm completely at a loss to understand how the engine's response would benefit as well.

There must be something else going on here.

Well, the two amplifiers are capable of pulling a constant 130amps from the battery, and the interior lights were dimming quite considerably when bass notes hit, even with the engine running.  Re earthing the car fixed this problem

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

great news, I am going to investigate this soon.

Any daytime pics of it with some bright DRL action?

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

great news, I am going to investigate this soon.

Any daytime pics of it with some bright DRL action?

I'll post some when I get back home to Sydney :)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I had a quick look last night, grabbed some jumper leads and tried making some low resistance connections to earth, but couldn't see any difference in LED brightness. could there be any thing else that you did during your stereo install  that could have possibly affected it?

ouri30
This earth issue sounds interesting. Perhaps the earth strap is not making adequate contact with the body of the vehicle. I was reading on a Veloster forum that a poor earth may have caused issues with the ECU.  The engine was occasionally surging then losing revs and causing all sorts of problems. Once the paint was removed from under the strap, it seemed to fix the problem. Jury is still out as to whether the issue is fixed as the problem was intermittent before the earth was fixed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:37:02 by ouri30 »

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Quick question, is it legal to add DRL's to an i30? I thought they had to be in from the get-go of purchasing the car, and cannot be after market?
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quick question, is it legal to add DRL's to an i30? I thought they had to be in from the get-go of purchasing the car, and cannot be after market?

Why? No problem if they are within positioning guidelines and operate as per the law.  :cool:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire

Why? No problem if they are within positioning guidelines and operate as per the law.  :cool:
Thought I read somewhere that it wasn't legal. I might look into getting them added. How much on average does it cost to get them added?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Why  :question:

DRL's originated as an EU fitment, due to the inclement weather that predominates there. To me, there isn't really any benefit in having them in Oz unless you live or travel in fog / snow regularly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why  :question:

DRL's originated as an EU fitment, due to the inclement weather that predominates there. To me, there isn't really any benefit in having them in Oz unless you live or travel in fog / snow regularly.
I am sure there is still some safety benefit if they are bright enough. I quite like the look of them too..

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Quote from: Phil №❶ link=topic=15643.msg284127#msg284127 date=1389686864 can 64
noticed question:broad RL's originated as an EU fitment, due to the inclement weather that predominates there. To me, there isn't really any benefit in having them in Oz unless you live or travel in fog / snow regularly.

Are you saying you've never had a glancing look at an intersection and not noticed a car in broad daylight. Or never driven with the sun to your back and had difficulty making out cars in your mirrors due to sun glare.

I think there are many other circumstances where DRLs can be useful. How can a more visible car not be an advantage.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Here's the link to how I fitted my DRLs to my 2012 CW.

DRLs and spotlights fitted
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My i30 was Steel Grey and I have to say I had a few sphincter squeeze moments at road junctions.

I didn't after I fitted my l.e.d. DRL strips.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I notice cars with their lights/DRL's turned on far earlier than I do cars that don't have them turned on. I also happen to always drive with my lights on for the same reason.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good points raised fellas, as Doggie1 would say, Fairy nuff.  :D

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Yeah, definitely helps with noticing cars easier, but is also a pretty cool feature to have on the car.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Many years ago Volvo's drove around with the lights on during the day.

Only taken some 35 plus years for other manufacturers to have them and only after a change in the law.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 88 Keys

• 1st Gear
Just to revive an old thread, is there anyone in Adelaide who has done this mod that would be interested in doing my car?
  • Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just to revive an old thread, is there anyone in Adelaide who has done this mod that would be interested in doing my car?

:wttc: We don't have many active members in South Australia  :Pout: (but you might be lucky) :fingers:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW

You should try DIY, it's not that difficult as long as you have the right materials. The only problem I had was not knowing which is positive/negative with the relay, got mixed up a few times and blew up the fuses. Easy and cheap to replace, got replacements from Jaycar. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I just ordered an i30 trophy this mod is up the top of my list to do
  • I30 trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal