i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is because it does mold itself to the object you're covering. I had to modify some I had only used a week before on my TV antenna wire, it was difficult but not that bad. I was pleased as it showed how good the adhesion was. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
Work in progress.

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so I decided to start the fitting of the DRL units.

I made up the wiring harness for each side first and then took the front of the car off and removed the old fog lights.

I fitted the new fog lights and DRLs and then fixed the new wiring to the existing loom using cable ties and ran the wires through to the engine bay near the fuse box.

The front of the car was put back on and I'm now ready to wire them up once the relay makes an appearance.

I'm taking the switched live from the reversing light fuse (marked back up lamp) and rather than drilling a hole in the fusebox, I'm going to run the wire across the fusebox to the rear left hand corner where all the cables from the car come in.

It's been an easy job so far and once the relay arrives I'll finish it off.
  • 2014 MY i30 Elite Manual Hatch. Dazzling Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This is where you get yur photo practice. Would be nice to see your work. Sounds like you're doing a very neat job  :exclaim:

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
If I get a chance tomorrow Phil I'll connect the DRLs to the battery and take a pic.

If the relay I've bought seem a bit dodgy I'll make my own one up. Very easy to do...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Male your own relay, I'd like to see one.  :exclaim:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I had some time on the weekend so I organised my cables abit. Here's some photos for those interested.

This is with headlight on
(click to show/hide)

This is with DRL on
(click to show/hide)

My Earthings (HID is next to negative terminal, DRL is all the way on the right with the other bunch of wires)
(click to show/hide)

I have HID installed and the positive connects directly to battery with a custom nut bolt on I got from bunnings.
(click to show/hide)

White cable from Relay "T" connected with the yellow wire from the car's headlight main cable
(click to show/hide)

DRL relay red cable connected to engine fuse 11
(click to show/hide)

Tidied up cables -This is as tidy as I can get, avoid blocking access to fuse box, air filter as well as fuel filter. There's alot of cables, mainly because I have HID and DRL installed, sometimes I forget which is which. Got some velcro to stick cables so it's not left hanging (there's no place/holes to tie zipties to and sticky stuff doesn't seem to last against heat, so velcro is the best choice for me). Note: DRL relay is furthest on the right with the white cable (There's a hole you can tie your DRL relay to with a ziptie). HID relay is right beneath the fusebox and headlight.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very nice job, Thanks for the pics.  :hatoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Great job!

What did you use to tap into the fuse?  It looks like the wire is protruding from the top of the fuse; I've only seen low-profile mini fuse taps with the wire sticking out from the side.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Great job!

What did you use to tap into the fuse?  It looks like the wire is protruding from the top of the fuse; I've only seen low-profile mini fuse taps with the wire sticking out from the side.

I followed martybrisbania's guide on page 2 in this thread. Did what he did in step 11. It's one of those wire tap mini blade fuse 10A i got from ebay. I think there's many ways to connect the fuse to, but this way allows the DRL to turn on only when engine is running/key turned to ignition on and turns off when engine is off.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Great job!

I followed martybrisbania's guide on page 2 in this thread. Did what he did in step 11. It's one of those wire tap mini blade fuse 10A i got from ebay. I think there's many ways to connect the fuse to, but this way allows the DRL to turn on only when engine is running/key turned to ignition on and turns off when engine is off.
Yes, I've seen those types of taps, but that is for the mini-blade: do they also fit low-profile mini-blades?  For low-profile, I've only seen these: ADD A Circuit ATM TAP LOW Profile Micro Mini Blade Fuse Holder 7 5A 10A 15A 20A

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Ahh i think i know what you mean, yea I think it does, as you can see it connects fine and it's not loose or anything, just protruding abit at the top. I think the metal contacts springs keeps it in place by holding it in.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Ahh i think i know what you mean, yea I think it does, as you can see it connects fine and it's not loose or anything, just protruding abit at the top. I think the metal contacts springs keeps it in place by holding it in.
Great.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
The wire tap fuse and control relay have now arrived and look OK.

I've tried the fuse in the fuse box and it fits fine. I've also connected the relay up to the battery and checked it out and that works fine too.

Just got to get the car off my wife and connect everything up. Not long now.  :cool:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
The wire tap fuse and control relay have now arrived and look OK.

I've tried the fuse in the fuse box and it fits fine. I've also connected the relay up to the battery and checked it out and that works fine too.

Just got to get the car off my wife and connect everything up. Not long now.  :cool:

Photos when you're done! I think the DRL will suit the blue i30 very nicely

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
When I was checking the relay I connected the lamps up and they did look good.

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I contacted my Hyundai dealer today they quoted me $160 per fog light.
  • I30 trophy

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
Is that just for the lights or does it include the covers too?

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I contacted my Hyundai dealer today they quoted me $160 per fog light.

I got both side DRL fog lights for $243.68 including postage on ebay. You sure it's the one with DRL and yea, cover is needed as well, the cover on DRL is slightly bigger. You could try local wreckers, might be able to find a cheaper price.

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
That's them fitted and working!  :D

I saw and i30 Station Wagon when I was driving home tonight and it had them fitted as standard and they looked just like the ones I've fitted to our hatch which is good.

Here's a few pics:

The relay is on the wing next to the fuse box.

Here's a close up view.

Job done!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well done.  :goodjob2: :hatoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yep, looks great, well done!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Zoom

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dandenong, Melbourne
Ordered my DRLs from Korea 2 weeks ago.  Got them today, unfortunately bad packaging resulted in some mounting tabs being snapped off the lamp housing.  Re-packed them to send them back.  Will be a month before I see anything back me thinks! :(

The cheeky buggers at Ferntree Gully Hyundai were totally dis interested in even entertaining the idea of ordering them in for me, so they quoted $2,800 for the pair...uninstalled.

Zoom!
  • 2012 I30 Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's got to be worth a complaint to Hy. Not necessary to treat customer's like fools, they could have said sorry, can not supply & suggested you try other means. :fum: :fum:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
The cheapest I can find them on eBay is about $300 ish
I just checked, they are around $300 with the lower AUD and all, lucky I got mine when AUD were still high. Maybe wait abit when the exchange rates are bit better

That's them fitted and working!  :D

I saw and i30 Station Wagon when I was driving home tonight and it had them fitted as standard and they looked just like the ones I've fitted to our hatch which is good.

Here's a few pics:

The relay is on the wing next to the fuse box.

Here's a close up view.

Job done!

That's smokin hot! It's gonna make lot of i30 hatch drivers turn their heads

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
I saw an i30 Hatch in the Coles car park today and it had them too. Word must be spreading...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
I don't think there's an SE in the range, only an SR.

The only i30 that seems to have them as standard is the Station Wagon which is built in Europe where it's a standard requirement on all new cars.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal