i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Q for those guys that have added their DRL's here in OZ...

The instructions in the manual for removing the front bumber state to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery.

Did you do this & were there any issues or things to reset after reconnecting battery?
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Q for those guys that have added their DRL's here in OZ...

The instructions in the manual for removing the front bumber state to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery.

Did you do this & were there any issues or things to reset after reconnecting battery?

They only really say to do this, so you don't accidentally, say, swing a spanner between the body and +ve location causing a burn mark. There was no issues from taking off the -ve lead.

Only thing I noticed was that trip economy reading got zero'd after I'd plugged it back in. all other settings remained, no issues.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Managed to get my DRLs installed last week, definately not as bright as expected & as appears in the H promo vids. Can't think of any reason this would be the case as I expect the Korean assemblies would be the ones that are fitted to the Euro models.

Got a tint booked for next week.

Need to brush up on my image editing skills & get a better number plate knocked up   :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
All these cars look great with this mod, I suspect trick photography to make them look brighrer unfortunately  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I really like the New GD in Clean Blue Neville (same colour as the wife's Car)  :goodjob: There are a few Clean Blue i30s of both series in Devonport  :happydance:

Would be nice if the LEDs were brighter but still look good .. I would like them for my Hybrid too  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
All these cars look great with this mod, I suspect trick photography to make them look brighrer unfortunately  :(

I'm quite disappointed about the lack of brightness too. My guess is that it's the universal aftermarket relay which causes the problem. It might not have enough output. No sure, but I can't really think of anything else.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
All Led's have a milli-candle (1/1000 of 1 candlepower) rating, which is the measure of their current draw and effectively their brightness, it depends on which values are used in manufacture I'm afraid.  :'(

It won't be the relay causing the low output.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, a relay is simply a bridging device between a source of power and a receiver; it's an on/off 'power switch' so is unlikely to be the cause of the dimness :(

The DRLs I see on the UK roads are very bright indeed - including the i30 and i40 models that often pass me

EDIT: ninja'd by 8467234
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I suspect it's more than trick photography. The Mercedes and Audi ones really do look very bright on the road.

I wonder if the non original DRLs are not the same brightness as the original equipment ones in the UK.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I suspect it's more than trick photography. The Mercedes and Audi ones really do look very bright on the road.

I wonder if the non original DRLs are not the same brightness as the original equipment ones in the UK.

@Constipated

Ref my post 97

@Bamboozled   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline tris

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Finally had time to install these lights and thanks to you guys the installation went smoothly. Again thanks to you all, this modification was worth it.   :happydance:

• 2012 Hyper Silver 1.8 Premium Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They look great.  :goodjob:
I like this mod and it is one I would like to get done to mine.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
you can as I have with my fog lamps fitted to Cyril, wire the DRL's through a relay, to a seperate switch, so they can be turned on and off manually as well and take the power source from your park lights for the power switching of the relay, this allows you to leave the DRL's on with your park lights and they will automatically shut off when you take the key out.

Yes I know in Oz it is illegal to use fog lamps when it is not inclement weather, but hey I would rather be seen than be hit by some dick who's not looking where their going, plus my theory is even though DRL's are usually very low wattage,being LED they are so much brighter to look at when these cars with LED DRL's are coming towards you then the standard 27W fog light, Hyundai did do one thing right,using low wattage bulbs for their fog lamps, unlike Ford,Holden and a few other manufacturers who have used 55w bulbs, they may as well just put a second set of headlights on their cars.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Rick. I'm waiting for my new GD to arrive so was looking at doing the same mod as above.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks Rick. I'm waiting for my new GD to arrive so was looking at doing the same mod as above.  :goodjob2:

If ya need a hand give us a hoy when your ready, since buying Bruce and Cyril I have become very adapt at getting my thumping great digits into places they are not designed to go  :whistler: and finding all the hidden holes to place wiring  :D 
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Rick. Whereabouts are you, may I ask?
pm if you don't want to post it. I'm in the Perth hills.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've been a bit disappointed so far with the daytime pictures of people who've installed the supposed original LED DRLs. They seem too dim compared to Audis, Mercs, Ford Mondeos I see.

Ugly Mongrels installation of aftermarket Phillips kit seems considerably brighter. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536

I'm suspecting the Ebay source of these DRLs is not as good as the factory originals.

If the DRLs are not going to be sufficiently bright during the day, what is the point if putting them in. They won't be doing their job.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks Rick. Whereabouts are you, may I ask?
pm if you don't want to post it. I'm in the Perth hills.
Dave
Go through the hills all the time,I'm up in Beverley, I travel down every day to work in Kewdale,but the hills could be any where LOL depends on which way I go to work as to which hills I go through :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ah, the town with the aeroplane.
I'm in the Great Eastern Highway hills at Glen Forrest.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Doesn't matter how bright your DRL's are, drivers will still pull out in front of you anyhow.... :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Everytime I look at your avatar Rusty, I wonder what you are playing with.....  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Could be a snake, Dave.... :D

Apparently when I was a baby, mum went to check on me when I was outside in my playpen and I had a copperhead snake keeping me company.....
She raced out into the street and stopped a truckie who came and chopped the snake in half with a shovel.

Must be where my fascination with snakes came from...  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Then again, I could be just playing with my willy.... :whistler:

Cripes, what willy say next  :Shocked: :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Since fitting my DRL kit, I've had a problem with my audio crop up.
Now when listing to audio (FM & USB) the volume regularly/intermittently drops for a second? then a beep sounds (like the touch screen has been touched) & returns to normal volume.
Might occur 3-4 times in a row or once every 5-10 mins.
Doesn't occur when sitting parked listing to audio (had a 30 min wait the other day)
I'm thinking it could be something that wants attention and then doesn't want to continue (GPS? - I hadn't set it for anything thought)
Can't think of any reason why hooking lights up to fusebox would affect audio. Maybe need to have a chat to dealer service.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

I'm suspecting the Ebay source of these DRLs is not as good as the factory originals.

For what its worth, the items are 100% OEM parts. From the very same factory as the i30s with factory fitted DRL's

Offline tris

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Now when listing to audio (FM & USB) the volume regularly/intermittently drops for a second? then a beep sounds (like the touch screen has been touched) & returns to normal volume.
Doesn't occur when sitting parked listing to audio (had a 30 min wait the other day)
I'm thinking it could be something that wants attention and then doesn't want to continue (GPS? - I hadn't set it for anything thought)
Can't think of any reason why hooking lights up to fusebox would affect audio. Maybe need to have a chat to dealer service.

The only thing that I can think of is that your sat nav's speed limit warning chime is on or something similar.

• 2012 Hyper Silver 1.8 Premium Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Not related to the DRL fitting IMO. Others have done the mod and no one else has a problem like that. Also the DRL's consume such a small amount of power that they are insignificant, especially when the alternator is functioning.

A simple test would be to remove your in line fuse (I hope you fitted one), and see if the problem goes away. :neutral:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

sounds identical in behaviour to the gps audible warnings, which can be set to go off at pretty much EVERYTHING; pedestrian crossings, traffic cameras, townships, ambulance stations, crash prone areas. It's really quite annoying having them all on.

just go for a drive with the GPS map on, when it chimes, have a look in the lower left corner and see if it's warning you of something approaching.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal