i30 Owners Club

Problems with my I30 not starting properly and cutting out in slow moving traffi

Offline green_giant91

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I've been having problems with my i30 (2009) for the past 6 weeks.

It started with the car not taking longer to start and when it did start the ESP OFF light was on and the rev counter did not work. If i turned the engine off then on again the car worked fine. This would happen maybe once a week.

This week the car has cut out completely in slow moving traffic (in first gear and lots of stopping and starting) when i go to restart the engine I encounter the first problem. The car will take a min to turn on then the ESP light is on and no rev counter.

I have taken the car to three different mechanics but none can identify the issue. As it's an intermittent problem they will need to see the issue. I have read many forums online that point the finger at differen issues.

Has anyone encountered this issue with Hyundai i30, if so how did you solve this issue? I am worried the car may cut out when travelling at faster speeds.
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi GG  :wttc:

Did you try a quick search of our/your forum? Quite a few hits for your issue...

Here's the first I found:

:link: ESP Off light and rev counter disabled
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
First reading says crank sensor. Thanks Shambles  :goodjob2:
As the thread says, its a DIY job.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline green_giant91

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Yeh, I got the crankshaft sensor replaced yesterday. Fingers crossed this will solve the issue but I will only know for sure after driving it for a week or two.

Will update :)
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fingers crossed  :fingers:

Quote from: green_giant91
I have taken the car to three different mechanics but none can identify the issue.
The power of the web ...  :Cuppa:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Kristinamarys

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire
Any update on this?  My 2009 does exactly the same - replaced the crankshaft sensor yesterday and now the check engine light is on and the car is very juddery when i'm driving.
  • I30 2009 1.4 Petrol Silver

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Any update on this?  My 2009 does exactly the same - replaced the crankshaft sensor yesterday and now the check engine light is on and the car is very juddery when i'm driving.

Check light = code. What is it? My crystal ball cant read it!
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Kristinamarys

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire
No need for Sarcasm, I intend to get a diagnostic done on it this weekend,  I was merely wondering whether the original poster had resolved the problem or whether they also were still having issues!  :disapp:
  • I30 2009 1.4 Petrol Silver

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
No need for Sarcasm, I intend to get a diagnostic done on it this weekend,  I was merely wondering whether the original poster had resolved the problem or whether they also were still having issues!  :disapp:

Sarcasm?  :disapp:  Madam you advised us in two separate threads that your MIL was on.  :phone1:  I was already involved in this thread. Both tw and I replied with the obvious;  YOU need to read the codes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I intend to get a diagnostic done on it this weekend,  I was merely wondering whether the original poster had resolved the problem or whether they also were still having issues!  :disapp:

Welcome Kristina. That was how I ready your post. Quite frustrating having one problem fixed and another show. Up hope you can get to the bottom of it without too much grief or expense.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal