Time to get their number

Guest · 232 · 49289

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes never thought of that, but hey thats how I swing doing and saying a lot of things before thinking them out.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Yes true,but not by me I have and still live on both sides of the fence,I say that EVERYONE who has a license should be forced to ride a bike for a time,.......

In which case everybody who rides a bike should HAVE to drive a car for a time and see how difficult it is to second guess which bloody side of you they are coming down, how fast, how big a space you need to keep between you and the vehicle to your side so they don't take your mirrors off, how infuriating it is when they weave between lanes whilst undertaking and overall how apparently it is the car/truck/bus drivers responsibility to ensure the motorcycle riders safety whilst they perform all these ridiculous moves.

DISCLAIMER - THis of course in my opinion, because it's mine it can't be wrong, let's stop the constant haggling each other because of our opinions please, it is getting very wearing, healthy discussion is one thing, dissing each other because our opinions don't match others is another thing entirely.

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Keith thats a classic,I have read that a few times before,I have done a similar thing,but being a tightarse,I saved the second call,I just rang them up told them I have an intruder/s,once they had my address I just told them they could find their unconsious bodies in the street once I had finished with them,yes they got the two blokes but I got in the Poo as well

Oh dear, this doesn't fit too well with your latest name change.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
You're looking especially nice today (in your avatar), NBR.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Yes true,but not by me I have and still live on both sides of the fence,I say that EVERYONE who has a license should be forced to ride a bike for a time,.......

In which case everybody who rides a bike should HAVE to drive a car for a time and see how difficult it is <

I'd suggest that most motorcycle riders are already car drivers so would already have a good understanding, well, at least the more sensible ones would.

Car drivers, on the other hand, if they have never ridden a motorcycle, they will have much more trouble understanding motorcycle related issues.

In a perfect world I reckon it would be majorly beneficial to car drivers if they had to ride a motorcycle before hand but, as we all know, that's never gonna happen... :Pout:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think that is a huge assumption Russ, whilst many bike riders may already be car drivers in Oz, I only know 3 people who hold both licences amongst my friends and colleagues.

I have never been interested in motor bikes, why then should it be mandatory for me to ride one in order to drive a car, ridiculous idea in my opinion.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I have both, unrestricted.  :wink:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Me too.
Plus Heavy Goods Vehicle.  :D
Oh, and a marriage licence.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Is the marriage license restricted :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unfortunately yes. To just one wife.  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Mine is, I'm only allowed to drive one model.  To drive other models is what Mrs FatBoy describes as "an extreme sport".

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thought so.  :disapp:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Bugger.  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Mine is, I'm only allowed to drive one model.  To drive other models is what Mrs FatBoy describes as "an extreme sport".

As in, it's very dangerous an you could get killed.  :Shocked:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm thinking of applying for a "multi-girlfriend" licence though.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Good luck with that one, Dave.  Let us know how you go, or will we find out in the obituaries?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good luck with that one, Dave.  Let us know how you go, or will we find out in the obituaries?

:lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Now, back on topic.

Motorcyclists are all evil law breakers who should be made to drive submarines in the sky so that they can read the number plates of Jumbo Jets through their periscope.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Me too.
Plus Heavy Goods Vehicle.  :D
Oh, and a marriage licence.

Most of my licenses are unrestricted :happydance:
Car bike truck,sadly my marriage and gun license are not  :blubber:,I shouldn't  really be trusted with the last one either,thankfully I will not have a firearm in the house
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Now, back on topic.

Motorcyclists are all evil law breakers who should be made to drive submarines in the sky so that they can read the number plates of Jumbo Jets through their periscope.

:rofl:  That'd learn 'em.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think that is a huge assumption Russ, whilst many bike riders may already be car drivers in Oz, I only know 3 people who hold both licences amongst my friends and colleagues.

That may just have something to do with your circle of friends, Brian...These days motorcycling is more a hobby to most, so most also own cars. Obviously there are gonna be exceptions to this. :undecided:

I have never been interested in motor bikes, why then should it be mandatory for me to ride one in order to drive a car, ridiculous idea in my opinion.

It may seem ridiculous but it would certainly give car drivers a much better understanding of how vulnerable a motorcyclist is. Would also help drivers to be much more aware of changing road conditions.

Oh, and your response is pretty much the reverse of what motorcyclists say to our idiot Road SafetyCrats that believe that before you can get a motorcycle licence you must first have a car licence. Not very logical to anyone that actually rides. While I concede it may help as far as road rules go, I can't see it helping with too much else.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Getting-a-motorbike-licence.aspx

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Russ, read the response again please, I said amongst my friends and colleagues, so not a tight knit circle of people with the same interests, I work for an employer with 4000 staff, I am a prominent member of that community and have links and associations with a huge amount of those people through my trade union work, my pension work and in my capacity as a governor of the entire institution, those people range from cleaners, porters and security personnel, through to junior admin, senior admin, academics and senior management.  That is a lot a of people I know who I would not class as friends, but who I know do not have motorcycle licences.  That is why I said it may be the case in Oz, but perhaps not elsewhere........

I have never felt the need to ride a motorbike to find out how to interpret road conditions, a darker patch of tar coming towards me indicates a repair job, a wet or icy section or a potential spillage.  I dont need to have ridden a bike to understand that.

As a car driver for 26 years I have only ever been involved in two accidents, one where I ran into the car in front of me, so quite clearly my fault despite his brake lights not working and two when a learner motorcyclist turned right into the side of my car and launched himself over my bonnet.  I knew he was there, how he failed to see my much larger vehicle eludes me, but it was his fault and his insurance had to pay out.  Had he had the rule which you linked to in the last post, then perhaps his knowledge of road use would have been better before he was let loose on the road, solo with nothing more than a piece of paper and a couple of L Plates.  Nowadays we have to complete a process called CBT before we are allowed to ride unsupervised ( http://www.biketec-motorcycle-training.co.uk/cbt-aberdeen.shtml ) .

Therefore in my experience 50% of accidents are caused by motorbikes and 50% by cars, why do we not accept that there are good and bad on both sides of the spectrum and quit the senseless argument that one is better than the other and that apparently all car drivers are ignorant UNLESS they have ridden a motorbike?

Please bear in mind that this is an international forum and so what stands in your country does not necessarily stand in others, therefore you should not brush off the comments from other members as simply as you do, theirs are also valid points and have not been made to p155 you off, they have been made because they relate to the country that poster resides in.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Now I'm confused,I thought here in Oz we had national licensing, I've just read your link Rusty and have also read the regulations required here in WA,we do not require to have held a vehicle licence to get a moped or restricted M/cycle license here,which don't need front number plates so they can be read by a speed camera(see how I added that last bit to stay on topic  :rofl: :whistler:)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That is correct.
No requirement in W.A. to hold a car licence first.
You can go for whichever you want, but if you get a bike licence you're restricted to 250cc initially.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
That is correct.
No requirement in W.A. to hold a car licence first.
You can go for whichever you want, but if you get a bike licence you're restricted to 250cc initially.

Oh So correct.but I couldn't get my head around the LAMS thing,as they did mention 660cc M/C's and Kw/wt,had me confused,not that it's worried me I have always had an open Bike license,since I got it at 17,boy things have changed since then,nigh on 41 years ago,just imagine these days if they were to give a 16 YO an open truck license

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems we've somehow got our wires crossed, Brian.....

I was talking about people who ride motorcycles usually also having a car, not the other way around....  :whistler:

As I previously said:
I'd suggest that most motorcycle riders are already car drivers so would already have a good understanding, well, at least the more sensible ones would.

I have never felt the need to ride a motorbike to find out how to interpret road conditions, a darker patch of tar coming towards me indicates a repair job, a wet or icy section or a potential spillage.  I dont need to have ridden a bike to understand that.

That's the thing, most people don't feel the need as most people will think they are good drivers, whether they are is beside the point.
Riding a motorcycle can only enhance your understanding of changing road conditions.

Therefore in my experience 50% of accidents are caused by motorbikes and 50% by cars<

I think you'll find that stats show that the majority of accidents involving a car and a motorcycle are actually the fault of the car driver...

why do we not accept that there are good and bad on both sides of the spectrum and quit the senseless argument that one is better than the other and that apparently all car drivers are ignorant UNLESS they have ridden a motorbike?

I have no idea, Brian...I'm more than happy to admit many riders are dickheads, just as I'm happy to point out that many car drivers are...I'm sure I've said so in many previous discussions. The facts are though that many drivers are in fact ignorant of a motorcycles capabilities and the different laws concerning them which is why I like to try to educate people. :winker:  :lol:

Now I'm confused,I thought here in Oz we had national licensing, I've just read your link Rusty and have also read the regulations required here in WA,we do not require to have held a vehicle licence to get a moped or restricted M/cycle license here,which don't need front number plates so they can be read by a speed camera(see how I added that last bit to stay on topic  :rofl: :whistler:)

You're confused? Hehehe.....I know, it's crazy! As far as I know, Queensland is on their Pat Malone in requiring motorcycle riders to obtain a car licence first.

Actually, things have changed, Dave....W.A. has bought in the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) early this year which has now bought it into line with most other States. so no 250cc limit now..... :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Actually, things have changed, Dave....W.A. has bought in the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) early this year which has now bought it into line with most other States. so no 250cc limit now..... :goodjob:

That's what I love about this forum. Always learning.  :thanks:
I should be careful quoting legal stuff because it does tend to change periodically.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I certainly won't miss the 250cc, Dave..... :goodjob:

Great for lightweight people but really ridiculous, not to mention dangerous trying to squeeze a big lump like myself on one.  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Years ago, they actually had a batch of 250cc police bikes, fully kitted out with everything on them as per normal, for the blokes who had just got their licence.
They looked absolutely ridiculous and were so heavy with all the fairings, lights, sirens, panniers, radio gear, etc, they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
What were they thinking?  :rolleyes:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :rofl:

Must admit I do miss the 250cc 2 strokers.....Now they were fun...totally unsuitable to learn on of course.  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal