i30 Owners Club

windscreen wiper wash function...not working front & back

sass · 8 · 4126

Offline sass

• 1st Gear
Hey all,
new here :)
I got my i30 last week and used my windscreen wipers for the 1st time today....then went to clean my windscreen later.  I cannot get the washer function to work...I even read the manual in case I was supposed to do some magic trick ...... no go. Am I missing something?  checked the container thingy in the engine, filled with water so that can't be it.  Neither the front nor back washer will work, the actual wipers work fine...?

thanks all

****edit to clarify...when I say the wash function, as in the function that squirts water up on the windscreen and makes the wipers go about 3 swipes so you wash your windscreen. 

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
What are front washers ? i thought front were the normal ones.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
With the ignition on but engine not started, try the windscreen wash and let us know if you can here the washer motor start?

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline sass

• 1st Gear
With the ignition on but engine not started, try the windscreen wash and let us know if you can here the washer motor start?

Sent from my HTC Desire

nope, wipers go twice but no water comes out and I can't hear anything.   

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds to me like the pump's not connected properly or has simply gone south; unless they've changed the design since 2008, the one pump services both front and rear. It shares the same fuse as the wipers so you can rule a fuse problem out.

I had my pump replaced under warranty but it wasn't as new as yours. In fact, the first replacement pump itself didn't work when they fitted it :rolleyes:

Best to see your dealer asap.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sass

• 1st Gear
Sounds to me like the pump's not connected properly or has simply gone south; unless they've changed the design since 2008, the one pump services both front and rear. It shares the same fuse as the wipers so you can rule a fuse problem out.

I had my pump replaced under warranty but it wasn't as new as yours. In fact, the first replacement pump itself didn't work when they fitted it :rolleyes:

Best to see your dealer asap.

back to the dealer we go tomorrow, how annoying  :rolleyes:  Thanks for your help :) , feel moderately better that it is not a fuse issue.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
You can usually hear the pump, especially when engine not running. Hopefully dealer can resolve quickly for you.

Let us know the outcome, cheers.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sass ...Not a common fault (think only Shambles and one other have mentioned it..)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal