i30 Owners Club

Hello and Need Some Clutch Advice

Liam G · 17 · 6193

Offline Liam G

• 1st Gear
Hello Everyone,

Just found this great forum. Liam here from Ireland.
Just bought a lovely 2008 1.4 Deluxe i30 for my wife yesterday. We are very impressed with it. Very comfy, nice handler and excellant level of kit.

Just wondering do any other owners notice the bite point on the clutch is very low - maybe about an inch off the floor. Have stalled it a few times.

is this normal? also clutch pedal is a bit heavy.

Other than that we are very happy and looking forward years of happy motoring.

Would appreciate any advice. :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Liam my wife has a 2.0 ltr Petrol Manual and that seems fine.

Trish is only small and she doesn't find her clutch heavy or have trouble stalling it...(but it is the latest model)

Some 1.6 owners in Europe have found their cars a bit prone to stalling until they get used to it... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yes that's me, stall stall stall stall stall....   not any more tho.   Got used to it now, it is a very lightweight flywheell someone said in this club and takes a bit of getting used too...

but not, I am fine with it.   As for it being only an inch from the floor, dunno bout that, how many cars has the car done I blieve modern clutches are supposed to return 60 to 100.000 miles depending how heavy footed you are????

Hope ya'll gets used to it soon...

Oh and welcome to the club...  piccies ?????

Asa

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
missed words in previous.....  now and miles....   insert them yourselvs and get used to dealing with us old people  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Liam G

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the welcome.

Car has only  22,000kms on it (low for a 08 car)- It was supposedly an older gent that had it.
Anyways, have it booked into our local Main Hyundai Dealer for a check-over next week.

I just find the biting point on the clutch happens very early (unlike our Focus!)

Will try and post some pics...it really is like new....looking forward to seeing the blue interior lights at night!! :cool:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh Liam, now that is low mileage, only just run in really, what a bargain...   I am now convinced that it is, as was for me and a few others, a sensativity problem.   If you search round this clubs archives you'll find quite a few with exactly the same queries, me included.

No harm letting the techi guy give it a quick rub down with a damp cloth tho, just to reasure yourself

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have had mostly new cars for the last 20 years, so long time since I have experienced a dodgy clutch.

From my distant memory of one of my early cars (over 30 years ago)  :scared: I seemed to remember that the take up was towards the top end of the clutch travel when it was on the way out.

I'm not sure if the clutch is adjustable in the i30 but worth asking if you find it hard to get used to... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi Liam G

I've never had a car clutch biting as low as you say from the floor (1 inch).  I think my i30 bites at least halfway up of the travel and possibly more, maybe it could be a matter of a simple adjustment of the cable?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the clutch is hydraulic and unfortunately has no adjustment.  :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I did not know that.  If it's hydraulic, is it not possible to bleed it?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I did not know that.  If it's hydraulic, is it not possible to bleed it?
yes it can be. on my 30,000kms service i had my clutch and brae fluids replaced,and a lot more also that i wasn't aware would be done.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

It sounds possible then that the problem Liam G has with his clutch pedal biting low, could be caused by an airlock.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
It sounds possible then that the problem Liam G has with his clutch pedal biting low, could be caused by an airlock.
it may just need to be bled.  :idea:

Offline swiss_i30cw

• 2nd Gear
The clutch is hydraulic, this is one of the reasons why it is difficult to feel when it gets in friction.
The hydraulic liquid of the clutch is the same than the brakes, so a problem on the hydraulic of the clutch means that there is a potential problem on the brakes later and should be handled professionally.
The gamma engine has variable timing of the inlet valves and low idling rpm making low consumption at low rpm and idling but a bit prone to stalling if too much torque is asked at idling rpm.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh...  I didn't know that...  thanks

Asathorny

Offline Liam G

• 1st Gear
Hello All and thanks for all your advice,

Just had the car in for a full check up in the dealer and I am glad to report all is OK.

The service manager drove our car and drove the dealer demo and found no real difference. We are actually getting used to the clutch pedal at this stage anyhow so all good.

Cant believe how comfortable the seats are....much nicer driving position than our 10 Focus.
I wonder will herself swap with me!!!  :wink:  We call the Focus "Freddie" ....I know its sad :lol: Might call the I30 "Harry".......

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's brilliant news (the clutch result, not the naming thing :lol:) thanks for reporting back :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal