i30 Owners Club

manual gearbox linkage adjustment (1.6 diesel)

Paolo5 · 5 · 3038

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My car has travelled 28,00km and I have had it since new.

Cold shifting is silky-smooth for all changes in the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears but is a bit dodgy (stiff) when going into 1st when just moving and 2nd (from both 1st and 3rd) until the car has travelled about 20km. Once warm, the shifting into 1st and 2nd (as described above) is improved but I reckon should be much better than it is. I was hoping that this would have improved with a few km under the car's tyres but it hasn't.

Is there a linkage adjustment that can be checked and/or made with the 1.6 diesel 5 speed gearbox that could be slightly out?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I believe there is... but don't know the finer details service agent..) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Cold shifting is silky-smooth for all changes in the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears but is a bit dodgy (stiff) when going into 1st when just moving and 2nd (from both 1st and 3rd) until the car has travelled about 20km. Once warm, the shifting into 1st and 2nd (as described above) is improved

Is there a linkage adjustment that can be checked and/or made with the 1.6 diesel 5 speed gearbox that could be slightly out?

I think that what you describe is to do with the speci of the gear box oil. 

As the car warms up the oil thins and change is OK but when cold the oil is thicker and this causes the problem.

As the gear change is OK when warm I'd be inclined to ask the dealer to change the oil first for a lighter one before the linkage is adjusted.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks guys...

I know that the gearbox oil that is in there now is a GL4 oil with viscosity 75W-85, as recommended by Hyundai. It should not need to be a lighter viscosity.

I would like to check the linkages (or have them checked) to see if they are adjusted correctly, just to rule that possibility out of the equation.

Paolo

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the i30 has cables and not linkages. there is some adjustment on the gear box end of the cables,but I'm not sure that will help. i would take it to the dealers to be looked at.  :idea: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal