i30 Owners Club

what i've found driving the i30 CRDi 6 speed

Lakes · 13 · 5978

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, we my old Betsey was always good on economy as i've mentioned, but she never had a trip c. Crystal has a trip c, well when i picked up Crystal her trip c read 7.8L/100k she was very low k only came off assembly line three weeks b4, i could have turned off the trip c & started freash but thought why not see how long to get it down to 5's oe 4's the hard way, she had a full tank of diesel from new, now i have 514k up she was reading 6L/100k all heavy Sydney traffic. i checked tyre pressure all wwere set @ 31.5psi so i raised that to 37.5psi then i turned off the ESP i drove 100k in Syd now she shows 5.7L/100k @ end of the week i'll be filling her up on Vortex Diesel & going bush so will see what economy reads then, won't be flat straight roads eather will cross great deviding range climbing the great mount victoria also going down it. will be ice on the roads ( i need to write to the honorable Bob Brown! always talking about globial warming). well will let you know what happens.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You say you turned off the ESP, is this a money saver tip.  Does the car use more gas when it's turned on ??????

Glad to hear you're happy with the new car  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
0I'll add a bit to this.

On my daily work commute which is a bit of stop start traffic (20%), mostly free flowing suburban driving (60%) and some motorway driving 80-100km/hr (20%) I've been averaging about 38km/h average speed. With this I have gotten the trip computer economy down to about 5.2 L/100km. I've only been using regular diesel.

Today, 1st run on extended freeway on Sydney to Central Coast on F3 freeway (110 km/hr). I reset the avg consumption and avg speed as I entered the freeway. After about 65 km freeway then last 10km or so suburban, I got 4.5 L/100km. On the way back to Sydney with more uphill freeway climb, and then the last 40 minutes on suburban Sydney roads, it went up to 4.8L/100km.

It does climb nicely those freeway hills in 6th. When I was slowed down by a car to 90km or so going up a hill, it was about 1900rpm in 6th but I tended to shift to 5th to accelerate  back up rather than giving it the boot in 6th.

All up quite happy. Not near the quoted 4.1 or so, but I guess that not driving at 110km/hr either.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ASA not sure about efect on fuel useage with or without was just trying it to see.
That's great to hear you got down in the 4's Con, the F3 freway is never the best place to drive for economy, craziest drivers on the planet up there.  with Betsy i tried all the different diesel fuel i actually got my best economy on Mobile, but the Vortex keeps the injectors clean, i found if i ran on normal diesel for a few tank full's like BP diesel at first i could not notice a difference but then i would fill up with Vortex Diesel then 200+k later i could feel the difference she had more responce, but i only fill at one Caltex outlet and it's not wooly's. i drove Betsy saturday and she felt faster than Crystal but Crystal has slightly more Torque but motor still tight betsy is faster off the lights she realy performs well even the service tech always remarks how well she performs. i put it down to good oil ( ELF ) & useing mainly vortex fuel as Diesels perform at there best with clean injectors.
Con how far are you going before you refill the tank?

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Con how far are you going before you refill the tank?

Getting further per tank as I've gotten braver with the filling up to the brim.

Last tank had 700km with the distance to empty indicating about 350km when I filled. This was when I had 5.2L/100km on the economy gauge.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I know how you feel i was like that at the start, but i always fill betsy to the top & drive till warning light shows the fill soon after, try it you will go 1,000 to 1,100k easy when the warning light came on once i could not find a servo, i was on a back road traveling from the south coast across country, following my stupid GPS directions then i came to Golburn found a servo & had traveled 90k with the light on.
Crystals tank was supposed to be full but must have been full to first click. i have gone 550K the trip c said i have almost 300k left but from my experience looking at gauge & not the trip c  there is 400k easy, but i'll fill up thursday night or friday morning right to the top & turn off trip c to start freash & drive 400k from work i'll drive till light comes on with that tank. it should be 300k before gauge even moves but will wait see.

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
I have my first set of numbers for my 6 sp man, don't have a computer so it's whole tank numbers,  @3000 km

from fuel light coming on, first click at 42 l, full at 55 l, did this at start and end

did 1020 km so 5.5 l/100km
600 km was freeway speeds with cruise control in sixth, to and from the northern tablelands in NSW
pulled up in sixth over some pretty serious climbs cat 4 easy, face of the mountain cat 2 smoked up in third
rest was a little city, mostly flowing suburban

good to know i have 100 km on the warning light

I went to up the tyre pressure to 34 or 36
but from the dealer it was already 40 !, I wouldn't have set it that high but I'll leave it

• White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice to get 1000+ to the tank this early  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I finally filled up the tank the second time on my 6 speed manual. No trip computer, so I did my best to try and get as full a fill as I got on the first tank. Divide that by the 900 Km I travelled (no fuel light yet) and the consumption comes to 5.5 l per hundred.

Given the inaccuracies introduced by this method and the fact that for two weeks I was driving up the Kalamunda hills (for those who know Perth) every day, I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

Add to that the new engine (not quite at the 1000 Km mark yet), me getting used to manual driving again and driving it like a petrol car off the lights.

Oh yeah, the first tank was all city driving with minimal (less than 5%) freeway travel.
Beats the crap out of my old Hilux (V6 4 litre 5 auto), less than half the amount of fuel used and cheaper too in unit price. Fuel Watch works it's magic there...  :goodjob:

One happy camper here  :D
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good news Hati  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thats great Hati. for city driving.
i just got back from my second time out west in my 6 speed, it now has 4,000k trouble free. had to cross blue moutains. first trip out there i got back & trip computer was ready i think 4.5L /100k after 800k on that take
this time with more k's up and another 800k on take trip Computer is showing 4.3L/100k. on my trip down south coast 800k round trip trip computer was showing 4.9L/100k but lots more traffic down there temps have been as low as 7c & as high as 24c she definately likes the 24c best and gets better economy when temps warmer. the 6 speed seems to get better economy doing 100kph the 5 speed liked 90kph for best economy at least that's what i think.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Lakes, have you gotten round to selling your 5 speed yet?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal