i30 Owners Club

Wiper blades in new 2011 i30 - ? poor quality.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Had my i30 for about 2 1/2 months so far.

The wiper blades have not been up to my expectation. They started off ok but within weeks after several heavy rains started to have fine streaking that steadily got worse to the point it was hard to see out the front.

I complained to my dealer who said it generally wasn't a warranty item but they'd replace it out of goodwill. The new ones were great, but within weeks again the same thing is happening.

In both sets wiping the blades of any dirt has not improved the situation.

All I can conclude is the quality is very poor for the  original wipers. I don't think I'll bother approaching the dealer again.

With my past 2 cars I've used clear non-coloured silicone wipers and they've been great even after 2 years.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine have punched through the Brisbane wet without a problem.

they are 14 months in and doing fine....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback .. not commonly reported and we didn't have a problem with our first i30 in 28 months (sold with original wipers)

Wife's MY11 CW is now 7 months old with a lot of her driving in wet weather and no sign of this wiper deterioration ... so I guess you have been unlucky  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mine are only just now showing signs of needing replacement - will use the silicone ones soon. But Mine is two years old in November.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What style/design are your blades?

Can you post a pic?

This is mine and coming up to 4 yo.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No complaints here (same blade style as eye30 above) and we do get to use them a lot over here
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
sounds like fall out on the windscreen...

ive experienced this before working at a factory that spray painted out in the open... the overspray got on our cars, then as the wipers ran over the tiny dots of overspray it eats them away... like sand paper is the best way to explain it! the over spray also stops the water from "beading" off the glass!!

the problem is the overspray/fall out is so fine you can bearly see it, you really have to have excelent eyes...

try buying some "clay bar/cleaner clay" and following the instructions on the windscreen, it may not help, it may help. in my opinion it sounds like the problem...

http://www.armorall.com.au/content.aspx?id=98

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
i was going to suggest something similar, first thing i would be looking at would be the windscreen, or whats on it,  oils? overspray? or is it pitted from grit or sand?  or more commonly, Sap from parking under trees.

• SLX CRDI U2

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've not had this happen before to a new car. But maybe you're right. Either way I've not had this problem with silicone wiper blades. They must be much hardier and I'll replace them if this 2nd set deteriorates like the first.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Mine still working fine (y.2008 and 104k km on the clock).

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There are a row of different trees adjacent to our house and one of them - not sure which - gives off loads of pollen which settles on the car overnight. It dries on the screen and bodywork and turns it into sandpaper. I noticed it when I first had the car with the wipers set to auto. When you start the car the wipers make a couple of strokes - whether it is wet or dry - before turning off. If the screen is dry they make a horrid scratching sound as they wipe across the "Sandpaper".

I now wash the screen before setting off each time to avoid wiper damage.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I must say that this is happening to me NOW! I bought my car 1 month ago. Started off with a few streaks now it is a hundreds to the point i cannot see!! I will be ringing Hyundai...
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Starting to sound like a bad batch of blades  :confused: Don't get too down on Hyundai for this they only buy them in (I doubt they actually make them..)  :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Still sounds to me like damage from contamination on the screen

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Well if 1 month makes damage from contamination...then i am dissapointed :( bUT I  do love my car!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well if 1 month makes damage from contamination...then i am dissapointed :( bUT I  do love my car!

Sorry Bryan. Forgot yours was brand new. If it's garaged or not parked under trees I'd be back to Hyundai, just to put it on record.
You'd pretty much have to attack the blades with sandpaper to wear them out that quickly.

:idea: You haven't been parked at the beach during an onshore gale have you :question: :whistler: ;)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Glad to know it's not just me. My first set deteriorated quite badly within 6 weeks so again perhaps not due to wear. My other cars parked in the same area aren't experiencing the same thing.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Let us know how the silicon blades go, cons......

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Went to Hyundai yesterday (30/08/2011) and they replaced the wipers free of charge as a ONE MONTH OLD CAR should not have this issue. I was very happy! WARRANTY :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That IS good  :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Went to Hyundai yesterday (30/08/2011) and they replaced the wipers free of charge as a ONE MONTH OLD CAR should not have this issue. I was very happy! WARRANTY :)

That's a result, but beware what consdisputed mentioned... that the fault reappeared "within weeks", so keep your eye on them, and foreign matter on the glass  :sweating:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
ps to preserve the "newness" don't use them when wet. 

Just stay in  :lol:

Result...............
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
I agree about the poor quality.

Mine does leave some streaks too already.  I first felt there must be some dirt on the blades, but no improvement.

thankfullly, it has not been raining much now. 

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

These wipers seem a lot better new than the ones i had on teh car when i originally bought it! haha
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
not sure if this will help,got 2 i30 one had both wipers replaced at 8 months under warranty,and my car 7 months and needs new wipers,dealer says they covered by 12 month warranty.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Rather than wait for my "replaced under warranty" 2nd set of wipers to die a rapid death like the 1st set, I have switched to my old favourites. Have been using these on other cars for maybe the last 6 years.

For those in Australia, they are the Aunger Silicone "Big Clear" wipers. Available at big W for $9.88. Cut them to size. They are universal and fit 6mm and 8mm claws. I think the driver's side is quite long almost 24 inches, and fits best on the 8mm groove, whilst the passenger side is much shorter and seems to fit the 6mm groove.

The claws are not funny ones which won't accept universal blades such as my Toyota Aurion. Dazzler I'd assume the camry is the same. These silicone ones did not fit. Tried Trico rubber blades in them but they were worn within months. Ended up getting an Aunger complete replacement completely wiper assembly.

Anyway, back to the i30. I wonder if the others who've had the wipers replaced on the new cars, whether the replacement ones head down the same path.

I'm pretty fussy about clear vision during rain, so I chose to replace them now even though there is only minor streaking now. They are still only 7 weeks old and this is already happening.

I post at some stage later on how the silicone ones are going.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that Con.. They are certainly cheap enough (although it is a 3 hour drive to our closest Big W until ours is built in about 18 months time  :disapp:) If the wife's CW wipers start giving her grief I'll switch to the Silicone ones.. :goodjob: I'll keep your comments about The Camry in mind to (so thanks again for thinking of me)  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for that Con.. They are certainly cheap enough (although it is a 3 hour drive to our closest Big W until ours is built in about 18 months time  :disapp: ) If the wife's CW wipers start giving her grief I'll switch to the Silicone ones.. :goodjob: I'll keep your comments about The Camry in mind to (so again for thinking of me)  :happydance:

You can get silicone ones at Super Cheap also.
Pretty wide range and they'll probably have the Aunger ones, too.
Some cars, Mazda and Subaru at least, react badly(squeak like hell :twisted: ) if you use any normal cheapie rubber replacement insert but the silicone ones do the trick.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just had a look on the Supercheap Auto website and they only have their own brand and Tridon wiper blades...  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just had a look on the Supercheap Auto website and they only have their own brand and Tridon wiper blades...  :undecided:

Honestly, I reckon silicone is silicone.
Proably all come out of the same factory. I've never paid attention to the brand.  Hang on :arrow: .............

Yep. Last ones were no name brand. have one left over.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal