i30 Owners Club

Looks as though a few members have traded there i30 for a newer model ?

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Looks as though a few members have traded there i30 for a newer model ?

I appreciate that the forum covers many nationalities, but were you satisfied with the "Trade in price ?"

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What a brilliant question :goodjob:

Would be very interesting, across the nationalities, to see how that price measured as a percentage of the purchase price (ie, how heavy the depreciation was).

-> moved to surveys :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Think we paid roughly A$27 K for our SLX CRDi in March 2008 and traded it on a Camry Hybrid in August 2010 for around A$17 K ... it had a few battle scars from hitting a Wallaby and carting bricks etc.. :-[ and had over 68,000 kilometres on it ... So we were more than happy with our trade price  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Bought my 1.6 Premium in July 08 for £13500 and traded in May 11 for £7000.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Bought my 1.6 Premium in July 08 for £13500 and traded in May 11 for £7000

bumpkin,

In your opinion, was this a good deal, assuming traded in for a newer model ?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Bought my 1.6 Premium in July 08 for £13500 and traded in May 11 for £7000

bumpkin,

In your opinion, was this a good deal, assuming traded in for a newer model ?

That would constitute a whole different question from the one you posed Alan.

I was "happier" with that price than with the original book value which was a good £1300 less.  I feel that almost 50% depreciation in a 3 year period is a bit high, but I think that is an indication of the global economy and the overall effect on the used market.

Mine was trading on a newer model (you should take some time to read around the forum :whistler: :whistler: ) and as such the price of the new car and the trade-in price offered are only constituent factors in the overall deal, which is very much an individual decision.  What makes one person think is a good deal may not be the correct deal for the next person.

For me, as I stated in the thread where this was discussed (go on, go and find it :winker: ), the cheaper running costs for the same monthly car payment as my 3 year old worked, others at the time felt I was trading too early, some felt I was doing the right thing :Juggler: :Juggler:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Interesting topic. I was just checking that out the other day - how much I would get for my i30 if I traded it for a newer model. Let me remind you, it is i30CW, a y. model 2008, a 1.6 CRDi diesel and it has approx 105.000 km on the clock now. Still has 1 years warranty for engine and gearbox. And the car still looks great, especially on the inside. Outside, it has 1 minor scratch on the rear bumper (it is in my thread), which is barely noticeable.

When I bought it in 2008, the new cost me approx 16.500 EUR = 14.500 GBP = 22.000 AU$

Today, if I traded it for a let's say new i30CW, I would get approx 8.000 EUR = 7.030 GBP = 10.662 AU$.

So in 3 years time, I would get approx 48% of the value. And let me say, that is the best offer I got, which came from my dealer. Most of the other dealers (different car brands) wouldn't go over 7.500 EUR, the lowest offer was even slightly below 7.000 EUR  :confused: Why is the price so low? Probably also due to the fact, that you can get the same i30CW with about the same equipment, for 2.000 EUR less then I paid for my i30 back then.

Which car was I seriously considering? I was looking at "new" i30CW, 1.6 CRDi 115hp version, better equipped then mine, and I would get it for approx 15.500 EUR. So that means my i30CW + 7.500 EUR. Hmmm..don't know. Mine still works fine, but I'm afraid about the costs in future, regarding the fact, I lose one warranty in November (though I still have it on engine and gearbox, which is great). But, I'm afraid, I'll have to change the glow plugs this winter - as far as I know they aren't covered by warranty over here, I'll have to buy new set of winter tires this winter and a new set of summer tires in the spring,... And what I am afraid of is, that if I decide to trade my i30 for a new one next year, I'll get 1.000 or 1.500 EUR less then today, beside already having min 1.000 EUR costs with the things I mentioned above. So it won't be +7.500 anymore, but around 9.000 EUR + the 1.000 EUR..

Sure sure, I was checking the i40CW and the ix35, but they are quite expensive and I really don't need anything more then i30CW. All I need is combined in that car. It drives great, looks great, has enough space for me, isn't too big for city driving and parking, the price is good, so are the service costs. I know the new i30 is announced for 2012, but I doubt it will actually start selling in 2012. And if it does, I doubt they will start selling the CW right away and even if they do, I bet it will costs more then current i30CW.

I'll open a new thread, so I could get your opinions.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:25:43 by accim »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal