Key Fob Came Apart

AlanHo · 12 · 4048

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I went to use the car yesterday and found that the key fob had separated in my pocket. I have a key ring through the fob to attach my house key - so the two halves were still "together" but the battery was found mixed in with the loose change in my pocket.

I half expected the battery to be ruined and the key to have lost synchronisation with the car - but after putting it back together it worked perfectly.

I have no idea how it came apart - it needed quite a bit of pressure to "Click" it back together. Another of life's little mysteries.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Your currency may be a bit flat, but thankfully, your battery wasn't :lol: :lol:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's a TSB covering this problem, with advice to the dealership on how they should apply superglue :eek:

I'll dig it out (SE07907) and post a link to a download...

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Here's the TSB, should it happen again and you want a more *ahem* permanent fix :eek:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6465ac3b0bf08b01&sc=documents&uc=1&id=6465AC3B0BF08B01%21118#

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There's a TSB covering this problem, with advice to the dealership on how they should apply superglue :eek:

I'll dig it out (SE07907) and post a link to a download...

I'll ask before Alan does.. If you superglue it how do you change the battery when it goes flat?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll ask before Alan does.. If you superglue it how do you change the battery when it goes flat?  :undecided:

Yep, that's why I put an *ahem* in my post - seems rather stoopid that the manufacturer would recommend the dealer apply a permanent fix :eek:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good news that it still works Alan.
Now here's a question for the technically minded among us. It may have been discussed before but..here goes.
I'm led to believe the battery is only for the remote locking mechanism. And the transponder doesn't draw power from the battery.
Apparenty the reasoning behind this is that, pre- remote central locking we had keys with transponders which had only a small head and no battery.
As a surfer I've also been told of people who take their transponder key in the surf because the water doesn't affect it. It's the battery and remote bit that water doesn't mix with.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My key didn't come apart as described in the TSB. It was just the battery cover part as shown in the photo I posted. The metal key and its spring pivot mechanism remained in place and I was not able to see any sign of a circuit board.

Hence I assume that the TSB refers to a different problem than the one I experienced.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It takes some force to open up the back so how it came apart is an open question.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Good news that it still works Alan.
Now here's a question for the technically minded among us. It may have been discussed before but..here goes.
I'm led to believe the battery is only for the remote locking mechanism. And the transponder doesn't draw power from the battery.
Apparenty the reasoning behind this is that, pre- remote central locking we had keys with transponders which had only a small head and no battery.
As a surfer I've also been told of people who take their transponder key in the surf because the water doesn't affect it. It's the battery and remote bit that water doesn't mix with.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

SD, it's my understanding that when you press the unlock botton on the remote the key uses battery power to transmit a specific frequency to the car in order to unlock it. In the earlier days without remote locking, keys were equiped with a microchip so that when the key was inserted into the ignition it would make contact, either physically, or via RF and the car would see this was the correct key and allow you to start it.

Any key which uses a battery to power a transponder, whether it's for locking or immobilisation, I would not be taking into the surf.

Honda motorcycles use a system called HISS, where the key is microchipped (sealed within the key) and when inserted into the ignition an RF pick up detects the chip in the key and allows you to start it.

I am not certain whether the newer i30 keys use both systems, or that when you press the unlock button the immobiliser is separate from the key itself.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^^^Yeah. That's pretty much how I understood it.

I wasn't gonna take my key in the surf. Already have a door lock only key for that. ;)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal