i30 Owners Club

Does any one know what the brake pedal switch does?

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Last week took my Diesel Auto. to the dealers, the ESP light kept coming on intermittently.

The car was fixed and the mechanic said that the brake switch was at fault. Does anyone

know what the brake pedal switch does?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Might it be the contact that makes the brake lights illuminate?

In ESP terms I'm pretty sure its secondary function is to allow the ESP to determine that the braking system is active and operational.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
It also figures in the cruise control logic. If you start and drive the car off without having pressed the brake pedal, the CC will not set.

Another: The brake being pressed simultaneously with the acellerator will cut the power (after a couple of seconds). I suspect this is a fail-safe option to prevent CC runaway. This was discussed here somewhere a while ago and offended left foot brakers attempting to get the rear to step out when cornering.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
This happened to my dad's 1st gen Audi A6 2.4 (the 2005 models). Brake switch was faulty. Couldn't even get the car out of park. Brake lights were intermittent (just like a Network Switch activity LED!) and the ESP light and ABS was on. We were told the braking system was connected with the majority of the car's electronics and was a primary "safety" feature.

Come to think of it, just a faulty brake switch and you can't even move the damn car. It had less than 1500km, too when the brake switch failed.

Audi had to cut battery power and manually put the CVT tranny in neutral just to get the car to roll onto a flatbed.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal