i30 Owners Club

Would installing after market audio controls void warranty?

Zef · 13 · 7994

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

If I was to have this installed professionally by an auto electrician on an SX would it void the warranty?

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_201&products_id=1159

It's an after market audio control panel for the steering wheel.  You see between the SX and the SLX there are only two real features I would miss with the SX, the steering wheel audio controls and the trip computer.  Both of which I don't need, just would like to have, and I can't justify the $4000 extra between the models because of them. (I know there are heaps more features between the two models, but the two listed are really all I would personally miss).

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
no idea but how much is one of those? and the cruise control side? i'd deff consider getting both with aftermarket cruise control added.

edit: just for interests sake, what warranty could it void?

Offline Zef

• 2nd Gear
They are about US$60 each plus installation of course.  I was worried that it might effect the warranty on the i30.  However since looking into this I've been told that it is not an easy installation on the SX as it interferes with the airbag (some spring or something or other) so I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually I've been thinking about waiting until the i20 appears now as it will be better on my budget.  It hasn't been confirmed for Australia as of yet but all reports seem to suggest it will come here in early 2009.

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
You know what? I'd bet good money that a service center wouldn't even notice it, let alone pull you up on it.

Offline Trozza

• 1st Gear
So its been a few years since this was brought up. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it and if it was difficult/expensive on the install?

Found the link. :) https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6832.msg79887.html#msg79887
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:38:19 by Trozza »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Trozza... Good job finding that (great effort for a new member)  :goodjob:

Lots more handy stuff on here  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and from memory those audio controlls Ian bought came in Hyundai packaging.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dreytac

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Queensland
I to have been wondering about this. I only just bought my car and it still has warranty (2009 model). The dealer is VERY reluctant to even acknowledge the fact that I want these controls installed (so far as telling me it wasn't possible despite the evidence to the contrary).

I'm quite capable of doing it myself but don't want to break any warranty the car has. I don't want to ask the dealer about the warranty because I'm 100% sure he'll say it will just because he's the dealer.
  • 2009 2.0ltr i30 GLX

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I to have been wondering about this. I only just bought my car and it still has warranty (2009 model). The dealer is VERY reluctant to even acknowledge the fact that I want these controls installed (so far as telling me it wasn't possible despite the evidence to the contrary).

I'm quite capable of doing it myself but don't want to break any warranty the car has. I don't want to ask the dealer about the warranty because I'm 100% sure he'll say it will just because he's the dealer.

Why not try some other dealer? I don't understand why he is so stubborn, that he doesn't even want to check the options for that.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't know about the audio controls, but a friend of mine has had after-market cruise control fitted (with the Hyundai controls on the steering wheel) to his new SX i30. The only difference from factory is they installed a small light to show when it is activated rather than the "cruise on" light within the instrument cluster that comes on if factory fitted.
Maybe try Alberts car stereo or somewhere like that for the audio side of it?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
I had my dealer install the audio controls, about $100
he bought the loom about $30
i imported the control, about $60 (original part was $150)

showed him the howto on this forum and he was happy to do it

make sure you get the right loom, the version in the howto post is wrong
mine was cruise+audio = L500 i think, there is another post with the info
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline mike001

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• 2012 I40 Active
Hi.  I have just had Audio controls fitted to my 2011 I30 CW by my dealer for around $200.00.  I purchased the audio controls off Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120910850241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649.  This is part number 96700 2L2004X which is what you want.  They also sell a wiring loom, but it is the wrong part number.  You need wiring loom part  number 561902L500, about $38.00.  It will not void your warranty if done by a dealer, though they probably wont give you a warranty on the installation as it is a mod to your vehicle.  Mine wouldn't.

Anyway, it works great, and lights up just like my cruise control.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi.  I have just had Audio controls fitted to my 2011 I30 CW by my dealer for around $200.00...

Kinda makes HMA look silly doesn't it :whistler:

...I was looking at trying to install steering wheel audio controls, but Hyundai Australia has told me that it cannot be done...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal